Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 03:46:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How a Restaurant can Implement BTC  (Read 2126 times)
Zetler (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 08:26:18 PM

It's really cool that it can be implemented so easily.

When BTC is optional I see no reason not to do so for restaurants. Also cafeterias, bars, even super markets should do it.

Or, well, the only reason not to my be legal / accounting.
joecooin

Activity: 359
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2014, 09:31:35 PM

You don't need confimations for accepting Bitcoin for food and drink.

In over three years now we had a few thousand Bitcoin payments which were all accepted once broadcasted to the net with zero confirmations and we did not have one single double spend.

I know this might change but so far don't worry about confirmations in this kind of business. Someone wanting to cheat in a restaurant is much more likely to just leave without asking for the bill than to actually try to double spend Bitcoins.

Joe

Of course you need confirmations, recently we have seen demonstrated over and over how easy it is to doublespend.

Please reread my post considering the fact that I am reporting from real life. Running a bar that may very well have taken more bitcoin payments than any other bar on the planet I believe that my experience allows me to not listen to what you tell me what I need, especially because I believe that you have as much of that experience as I need confirmations when people pay their beer and that is presicely zero.

By the way what you are refering to is no news. everybody who had understood the protocol and gained some understanding of this economy had understood that years ago already.

Joe

nasthedon

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 09:33:02 PM

Something like a smarphone with coinbase app will get you lot of clients Smiley
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 09:36:42 PM

In over three years now we had a few thousand Bitcoin payments which were all accepted once broadcasted to the net with zero confirmations and we did not have one single double spend.

I know this might change but so far don't worry about confirmations in this kind of business. Someone wanting to cheat in a restaurant is much more likely to just leave without asking for the bill than to actually try to double spend Bitcoins.

Joe

Of course you need confirmations, recently we have seen demonstrated over and over how easy it is to doublespend.

Please reread my post considering the fact that I am reporting from real life. Running a bar that may very well have taken more bitcoin payments than any other bar on the planet I believe that my experience allows me to not listen to what you tell me what I need, especially because I believe that you have as much of that experience as I need confirmations when people pay their beer and that is presicely zero.

By the way what you are refering to is no news. everybody who had understood the protocol and gained some understanding of this economy had understood that years ago already.

Joe

Are they talking about either of these?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=574774.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=152348.0

kevindurant

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 09:39:44 PM

This would be good and no confirmation should not be problem anymore.

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 10:19:59 PM

I had something at Ada' Technical books in Seattle last week. They had BitPay integrated into their POS register. Very easy, just select a tip then pay the QR code. Here in Madison I like an Indonesian place called Bandung. There you can just scan the tattered QR code taped to the counter.  It could not get easier than that, but you'll have to remember to add a tip. 

http://seattletechnicalbooks.com/

https://bandungrestaurant.com/

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
jparsley

Activity: 266

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 06:33:47 AM

So how do u handle 0 confirmation tx's

please unban me.
grifferz

Activity: 154

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 10:06:49 AM

You feel comfortable in accepting that the transaction will eventually get more confirmations because the hassle that the diner would have to go through to in order to send another transaction that cancels out the first exceeds the hassle of expecting the diner to wait for confirmations.

As already pointed out, take bitcoin out of the equation and still any diner who wants to skip out on the bill can quite easily run away without paying.
MOON_2000

Activity: 28

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 04:28:06 PM

This is a good solution for a very practical problem.  As you are aware, making it easy for ordinary restaurants to accept bitcoin would significantly increase the use of bitcoin in everyday life.  Smiley
Oltovi

Activity: 6

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 04:31:46 PM

Good ideas here.
whtchocla7e

Activity: 392
Merit: 116

Worlds Simplest Cryptocurrency Wallet

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 04:52:46 PM

You can start by giving me your menu with prices listed in BTC.

I'm not going to go through the trouble of paying with BTC only for you to receive fiat from some third party.

And no, I'll not send the payment from your device so don't even try it...

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▃▅▆█ L E A D █▆▅▃▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
World's Simplest and Safest Decentralized Cryptocurrency Wallet!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ • STORE • SEND • SPEND • SWAP • STAKE • ▬▬▬▬▬▬
bountygiver

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 05:54:02 PM

There's an easy solution for handling confirmation times.

You make them pay after they order.
By the time their food is ready, there'll already be 1 confirmation and 2 or 3 when they leave.
If something happen you can just ask them to pay again, and their wallet will also show that the transaction failed if things do happen.

12dXW87Hhz3gUsXDDCB8rjJPsWdQzjwnm6
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 05:57:30 PM

The places I have eaten never wait for confirmation. It does require some trust on their part, but so does a check or even a cash. The cash may be found to be counterfeit later on. It is worth trusting in these cases because faking it would be a bigger hassle than just paying the bill.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
BlueBitAUT

Activity: 122

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 06:15:19 PM

I have been involved i a project, a long time ago, where they wanted to have digital menu cards on Tablet Computers.
As i said, a long time ago, where the market wasn't ready for stuff like this.
The Tablets too expensive, too heavy and bulky and so on...

Now with an ordinary, slim 7" 99$ WiFi connected Android-Tablet you could display your Menucard like a "local" Website,
with realtime BTC prices. And for example, if every unit is adressed to a Tablenumber, also show the bill including the option to pay with BTC as it shows a QR.
joecooin

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2014, 12:47:30 PM

You can start by giving me your menu with prices listed in BTC.

I'm not going to go through the trouble of paying with BTC only for you to receive fiat from some third party.

There is no point in pricing your goods and services in XBT as people want to be able to compare the prices in EUR / USD and also you are required by law to have your pricing in the legal tender of the jurisdiction you are in.

You can type the EUR / USD price into about every wallet and have real time price conversion.

What do you mean with "trouble of paying with BTC"?

If you had ever made a Bitcoin payment you would know that there is no trouble. It is simply scanning a QR and then clicking "send".

Joe

BlueBitAUT

Activity: 122

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 12:54:56 PM

There is no point in pricing your goods and services in XBT as people want to be able to compare the prices in EUR / USD and also you are required by law to have your pricing in the legal tender of the jurisdiction you are in.

I pretty much assume, he meant additional to the local currency price.
Which is, like i said, something like you should do in a digital way except printing new card daily/weekly ...whatever.
joecooin

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2014, 12:55:36 PM

There's an easy solution for handling confirmation times.

You make them pay after they order.

No, that is a bad solution for something which is no problem.

At least where I live it is absolutely unusual for people to have to pay before they eat and then pay every single drink being brought to that table afterwards. That is not only absolutely un-oractical it also makes the customer very unwelcome.

I repeat: nothing is as easy as accepting Bitcoin in a restaurant. Everybody who has some device with an internet connection can literally start doing so the very second they decide to.

Want to convince some restaurant or bar owner to accept Bitcoin for your bill?

Ask the to call up www.easywallet.org in their webbrowser.
Scan the code.
Send the money.
While you start explaining the page to them briefly the money turns up in front of their eyes.

Experiencing that ease of use and speed will convince most people to look into Bitcoin a bit deeper.

Joe

Dafar
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

dafar consulting

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 12:57:09 PM

If I owned a restaurant,

The customer would pay when they order. It will get a confirmation by the time food is ready.

Then they can leave a tip at the end of the meal.

Joe

Thanks, I was a little iffy about the confirmations. Basically.. if you required even 1 confirmation you need to wait 10 minutes right? If you require 0 confirmations, the merchant gets his money instantly, right? But what is the risk? Can someone send a "fake" bitcoin and get away with it?

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████░████░░███████████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░░██████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░███████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████████
██████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████
██████████
|
|
|
vnvizow

Activity: 364

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 01:36:19 PM

There are some restaurants around the world that accepts Bitcoins already, especially in South Korea  Smiley
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4668

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 01:50:25 PM

Thanks, I was a little iffy about the confirmations. Basically.. if you required even 1 confirmation you need to wait 10 minutes right?

The average time between confirmations is 10 minutes. Sometimes they can happen in less than a second, or they can take over an hour.

If you require 0 confirmations, the merchant gets his money instantly, right?

It's not the sender that decides how many confirmations are required, the merchant decides how many confirmations they want to wait for.  The transaction will typically show up in the merchants wallet in less than 5 seconds (often less than a second). At that time it will have 0 confirmations.

But what is the risk? Can someone send a "fake" bitcoin and get away with it?

The risk is that someone can write a special wallet program that can send two transactions that spend the exact same bitcoins.  One transaction would be paying the merchant (which the merchant would see), and the other would send the bitcoins to a different address that you own (the merchant probably won't even see that transaction until it is confirmed). Only one of those transactions will become confirmed and added to the blockchain.  Once one of the transactions is confirmed, the other transaction will become invalid and all peers will discard it.  This is not an easy or reliable process, and it is obviously fraud (just like writing a bad check, or falsely claiming fraud on a credit card transaction).  It would be faster, easier, and more reliable for the customer to simply get up and walk out of the restaurant without paying than it is to try and successfully pull off this 0 confirmation fraud.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: