Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 08:22:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Where do I find Private keys?  (Read 559 times)
Rkawash (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 02:29:47 PM

So I reformatted my laptop with my wallet on it, I was able to recover the wallet with software.  I have re-installed multibit.  I want to import the old private keys into the newly installed multibit, bit I can't seem to find the private keys.  Where are they located exactly?
Coiner.de

Activity: 773
Merit: 531

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 03:11:48 PM

Why don't you just use
File -> Open Wallet
with your recovered MultiBit wallet file?

Use
Tools -> Export Private Keys
to make a backup of your private keys then.
R2D221

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 02:05:48 PM

If you could open the wallet as Coiner.de suggested, then that's all you need. You shouldn't need to export the private keys unless you're going to use different wallet software (e.g. Bitcoin core, Armory, Blockchain, etc).

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
Rkawash (OP)

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 05:38:00 PM

I tried the open wallet thing.  So when I open multi bit, I have .25 bitcoins displayed, I want to add the recovered coins to that amount.  When I did the open wallet, and went to the destination i saved the recovered one on, it loads it but seems like a duplicated of the .25 one.  I'm not really sure how many i had on the recovered one, i think like .19 or something, but I'm trying to add that to the .25 I already have
Coiner.de

Activity: 773
Merit: 531

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 06:26:26 AM

If you use
File -> Open Wallet
to open the recovered wallet, you should have at least two wallets in MultiBit. You change the current wallet by selecting one in the list.

On the request tab you see the addresses in that wallet. You can compare and see if they are different or not. You can check the balance on that addresses with blockchain.info or blockr.io.

To copy the private keys just use
with your recovered wallet selected.

And use
Tools -> Import Private Keys
with your current default wallet selected then.

Use
with your current default wallet then to create an up-to-date backup of that wallet.

You may have to use
Tools -> Reset Blockchain and Transactions
to get the correct balance for your current default wallet.

Rkawash (OP)

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 10:29:32 PM

K I opened my recovered wallet and checked that addresses on the current and old one and they're exactly the same for some reason
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: