Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:23:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Bitcoin Guy  (Read 3787 times)
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2012, 12:09:05 AM

...me making the call to the cab company and sending the Bitcoins on my computer....

how will you know his bitcoin address... I hope you wont have him spell out the address on the phone!

here is my solution:
http://www.thebitcoinreview.com/site.php?site_id=825

I'll need his company phone number & bitcoin address. I'm sure there is lots of other information he will want to put up on this listing. like his exact location or service area, I could throw in a google map.

i know it looks shitty... thebitcoinreview.com is in desperate need of a make-over, and its coming soon! In the mean time any publicity is good publicity  Wink  

It could also be nice if the cabbie had a website. He could even have the cab request made right from the website. The site could even show if he is available and what area he is in. Through the ride request page on the site a msg is sent to his phone stating your location, destination and time of pickup. He replies to confirm the time and sends back a total, btc address and QR code.  There are a miriad of options that can be given to make it more convenient for either party.

woo, let's go nice and easy on him, he just started tweeting few weeks ago  Cheesy

edit: lol my 1000 post, i'm not a "virgin" nemore

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2012, 12:16:00 AM

woo, let's go nice and easy on him, he just started tweeting few weeks ago  Cheesy

lets make 100% sure he dosnt get burnt!
setup him up nice and secure!
if he gets burnt we all get burnt!

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2012, 02:49:43 AM

No need to go that easy on him. He's been tweeting for awhile, facebook, and a website. Did I forget to mention he already does that GPS service, too? He creates his own video, also. Trust me, he'll be up to speed in no time. I'm sending him a PM in a few minutes (almost done penning it). I'm going to post that PM here and you'll all now what to do upon reading it. He basically understands the risk, and he, along with our help, will minimize that risk for him, as well as anybody else who comes on board. I'm sure it's less risky accepting Bitcoin than carrying around a wad of cash, don't your think?

~Bruno~
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 02:51:06 AM

Yeah, I realized the issue of the address.  

For the sake of this first transaction, I don't think that needs to be an issue.  I think the main point is just showing the simplicity of the transaction (i.e.  customer calls, customer sends Bitcoins, customer suddenly has a cab ride).  He could just email me or text me his BTC address and that would be fine for this first transaction.

The cabby's Bitcoin address appearing on a website would be nice, but even a card would be fine.  After all, once you send your BTC once, that address will be saved in your address book and you won't need to enter it again.  This is great for repeat customers.

Flexcoin would also be a great option in this case.  I have a Flexcoin account, and if I could send my coins to "BitcoinCab" or something, it would be really nice and easy.

the joint
Legendary

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 02:53:31 AM

No need to go that easy on him. He's been tweeting for awhile, facebook, and a website. Did I forget to mention he already does that GPS service, too? He creates his own video, also. Trust me, he'll be up to speed in no time. I'm sending him a PM in a few minutes (almost done penning it). I'm going to post that PM here and you'll all now what to do upon reading it. He basically understands the risk, and he, along with our help, will minimize that risk for him, as well as anybody else who comes on board. I'm sure it's less risky accepting Bitcoin than carrying around a wad of cash, don't your think?

~Bruno~

This would be an angle I would like to spin for the college newspaper.  There are many crime alerts issued because so many UIC students  get mugged or assaulted near the campus.  Having Bitcoins can reduce or eliminate the need for students to carry credit/debit cards or cash.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2012, 03:02:53 AM

~Bruno~

This would be an angle I would like to spin for the college newspaper.  There are many crime alerts issued because so many UIC students  get mugged or assaulted near the campus.  Having Bitcoins can reduce or eliminate the need for students to carry credit/debit cards or cash.

Great idea! One thought, though. If I were a mugger, and a muggie claimed to not have any cash, even if true, that would piss me off and may become violent. I'm not sure how this really works in the real world when a mugger encounters such a situation. Just an obscure thought I wanted to share.

The following is the PM I just sent to Rashid:

Rashid

Let's see how simple I can make this.

First go to the Other category and click the Newbies tab. Click the Introduce yourself  tab of which this is the link that will take you directly there: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=15672.0

Pen your first post, introducing yourself. Don't worry about being formal and all that. In fact, this is not even a requirement, but I opt to have you do this to help accelerate the whitelist process of which I've already got that ball rolling. I just felt that at least one post would help.

Once you're whitelisted, I suggest starting two threads. One in Marketplace https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=5.0
and the other in Off-topic https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=9.0

I'll assume you know how forums work. When you pen a new post, that thread gravitates to the top.

Your Marketplace thread will be the place where you advertise your cabbie service. Each day (or 2-3 times a day) you post your latest special. I do suggest that at first do it in USD and BTC (which stands for Bitcoins). You'll get accustomed to it after awhile. Don't worry about making mistakes. You can always go back and edit your post(s) at any time, unlike Twitter. May I suggest the following to title your thread?: ChicagoCabbie: First Bitcoin Accepting Cabbie. No need for Chicago in the tagline, and purposely left off the word taxi, for somehow I felt you folks have adopted the term cabbie opposed to using taxi driver, cab driver, etc.

The other thread in Off-topic is just as important for several reasons, which I'll explain. Again, I suggest titling it ChicagoCabbie Asks Questions. This will be the place where you, personally, will ask any question, no matter if its ever been asked before, therefore there'll be no need for you to hunt down your questions/answers on this board even though they've all been addressed. We will all take the time to answer your specific questions to help you get up to speed. Moreover, this will be a place where you'll send your fellow cabbies too, or anybody else you may introduce to Bitcoin, allowing them to find most of their questions already answered in one place.

These couple of steps should get you started for now. Chances are, you won't be able to start those threads I've mentioned yet, unless you're whitelisted. Therefore, simply make sure you post a hello in the Introduce Yourself thread here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=15672.0

I already have your first customer lined up for Thursday: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=57301.msg684553#msg684553
After reading that post, read the ones that follow. Should be a quick read unless a bunch of posts have been added or someone went on a diatribe since I've sent this PM to you.

Feel free to call me if you have any difficulties.

~Bruno~
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2012, 03:05:56 AM

Yeah, I realized the issue of the address.  

For the sake of this first transaction, I don't think that needs to be an issue.  I think the main point is just showing the simplicity of the transaction (i.e.  customer calls, customer sends Bitcoins, customer suddenly has a cab ride).  He could just email me or text me his BTC address and that would be fine for this first transaction.

The cabby's Bitcoin address appearing on a website would be nice, but even a card would be fine.  After all, once you send your BTC once, that address will be saved in your address book and you won't need to enter it again.  This is great for repeat customers.

Flexcoin would also be a great option in this case.  I have a Flexcoin account, and if I could send my coins to "BitcoinCab" or something, it would be really nice and easy.

Boy, it would be great if Rashid had a vanity address: 1Cabbie1........  or 1WCcabbie...... (windy city)   or 1FlashCab.......
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2012, 03:21:17 AM

Great idea! One thought, though. If I were a mugger, and a muggie claimed to not have any cash, even if true, that would piss me off and may become violent. I'm not sure how this really works in the real world when a mugger encounters such a situation. Just an obscure thought I wanted to share.
This happened to me once. The mugger just walked away.
But then this was in Canada and maybe in the US they see it more as a birth right.

I think Cassacius (sp.?) should offer a custom key Coin service. People already trust him to destroy private keys. So he should have a premium where he creates a custom FirstBits address tied to a key embedded in a physical coin. I bet people would go nuts for a Personalized Physical Coin. But how much premium would they pay?

the joint
Legendary

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 04:47:22 AM

Ok, I have my pickup and drop-off locations selected, as well as a time.  I have a webcam available to record footage of a phone-call and Bitcoin transaction. 

Phinnaeus, I'm not sure that I will have immediate access to a video camera outside of the webcam though.  Will this be a problem for when the cabbie comes to pick me up?  I'm sure I can rent one or something if I'm in a bind.  At the very least, I think my buddy has a digital camera with some meager video capturing capabilities.  Otherwise, do you know what kind of filming he plans to have on his end?  If you don't need any footage from me at all, that's fine too, just trying to be as helpful as possible.

Also, he could post his BTC address in his signature, or at least in his marketplace advertisement.  That would make payment a breeze.

If there's anything else you can think of, let me know Smiley
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2012, 05:37:24 AM

Ok, I have my pickup and drop-off locations selected, as well as a time.  I have a webcam available to record footage of a phone-call and Bitcoin transaction. 

Phinnaeus, I'm not sure that I will have immediate access to a video camera outside of the webcam though.  Will this be a problem for when the cabbie comes to pick me up?  I'm sure I can rent one or something if I'm in a bind.  At the very least, I think my buddy has a digital camera with some meager video capturing capabilities.  Otherwise, do you know what kind of filming he plans to have on his end?  If you don't need any footage from me at all, that's fine too, just trying to be as helpful as possible.

Also, he could post his BTC address in his signature, or at least in his marketplace advertisement.  That would make payment a breeze.

If there's anything else you can think of, let me know Smiley

He has video equipment. I see no real problem there. How the hell did I forget to show him how to get a BTC address. The easiest off the bat is Instawallet. He is fighting the flu today, so he's a tad behind in posting his first post, I believe.

This happened to me once. The mugger just walked away.
But then this was in Canada and maybe in the US they see it more as a birth right.

I think Cassacius (sp.?) should offer a custom key Coin service. People already trust him to destroy private keys. So he should have a premium where he creates a custom FirstBits address tied to a key embedded in a physical coin. I bet people would go nuts for a Personalized Physical Coin. But how much premium would they pay?

This gave me an idea.

Mugger: Give me all your money.
Muggie: I don't carry cash! All I have is this USB stick with close to $1,000 USD on it--cash that's totally untraceable. Here. Take it! (And hand the mugger a useless USB stick. In fact, you can make and sell fake USB sticks just for this purpose. Think about it!)
Mugger: (of course in a hurry takes the stick, looks at it, and puts it in his pocket--then leaves)
Muggie: (whistling Dixie with a shitty grin on his face all the way home)

sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 01:08:56 PM

Mugger: Give me all your money.
Muggie: I don't carry cash! All I have is this USB stick with close to $1,000 USD on it--cash that's totally untraceable. Here. Take it! (And hand the mugger a useless USB stick. In fact, you can make and sell fake USB sticks just for this purpose. Think about it!)
Mugger: (of course in a hurry takes the stick, looks at it, and puts it in his pocket--then leaves)
Muggie: (whistling Dixie with a shitty grin on his face all the way home)

Mugger V2.0: You're coming with me to make sure I can transfer this money!   Shocked

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
the joint
Legendary

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 01:42:21 PM

Won't be able to post until later today after I get off work.

Hopefully he will have posted by then Smiley

I'll check back in later.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2012, 09:45:39 PM

The main goal (CES) may be DOA, due to Rashid being under the weather. We'll see what happens in the next few hours, though. This is by no means a lost cause, the joint. I have a Bitcoin commercial in mind, among other ideas, but you being the first person to pay a cab fare should happen. Do you have two geek friends willing to play parts in a commercial? And what's you're interest in the Adler Planetarium?

~Bruno~
the joint
Legendary

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 11:15:00 PM

The main goal (CES) may be DOA, due to Rashid being under the weather. We'll see what happens in the next few hours, though. This is by no means a lost cause, the joint. I have a Bitcoin commercial in mind, among other ideas, but you being the first person to pay a cab fare should happen. Do you have two geek friends willing to play parts in a commercial? And what's you're interest in the Adler Planetarium?

~Bruno~

I have some geek friends but I'm not sure how busy they are.  The first that came to mind was studying for some ridiculous physics test to get his PhD.
  But actually, come to think of it my girlfriend's dad is an actor and he owns an theater company.  He knows tons of actresses and actors.  They're pretty damn good, too.  I saw their performance of Steven King's Misery.  It was very impressive.

My interest in the Adler Planetarium?  Well, I like thinking about the Universe and I like Astronomy, so my vague answer would be that I simply have interest in it, and it would be fun to go there.  I don't think I've been there in a very long time.

I have a guitar lesson to teach in an hour.  I will check back again after then to see if there are any updates on the cabbie.  Hope he feels better!
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2012, 05:04:01 PM

~Bruno~

I have some geek friends but I'm not sure how busy they are.  The first that came to mind was studying for some ridiculous physics test to get his PhD.
  But actually, come to think of it my girlfriend's dad is an actor and he owns an theater company.  He knows tons of actresses and actors.  They're pretty damn good, too.  I saw their performance of Steven King's Misery.  It was very impressive.

My interest in the Adler Planetarium?  Well, I like thinking about the Universe and I like Astronomy, so my vague answer would be that I simply have interest in it, and it would be fun to go there.  I don't think I've been there in a very long time.

I have a guitar lesson to teach in an hour.  I will check back again after then to see if there are any updates on the cabbie.  Hope he feels better!

The Adler idea stemmed from here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=57809.msg686041#msg686041

The commercial consist of ChicagoCabbie picking up 3 geeks that need to go to the Adler Planetarium. While in the cab, they're discussing technical shit related to the universe. They're excited. The cabbie is seen as someone that's interested in their conversation, but doesn't say a word until the end after the lads pay their fare with Bitcoin. Prior to the lads departing, the cabbie relays to the boys a set of coordinates they should look into while at the planetarium. The Joint, looking puzzled, says we'll do that.  The real set of coordinates could be of Planet X. Then a tagline or voice over: Cabbies hear everything! Pause. But this advert/ad/commercial is not about cabbies. Fade in the Bitcoin Logo (with a link).

This is great info you just provided. Available actors and actresses. This commercial idea doesn't have to be at the Adler Planetarium. Just 3 geeks in a cab having a deep discussion about something they're familiar with. At the end, they pay with Bitcoin. Upon leaving, the cabbie volunteers a piece of info that they may have overlooked. The tagline and/or voice over: Cabbies are in the know more than you may think. But this advert is not about cabbies. It's about Bitcoin. Fade out/then in with the Bitcoin logo.

That said, what subject matter are you and two other of your geek friends passion about? And where in Chicago would be a good place to drop you guys off that may go hand-in-hand with passion? (boy, I hope the answer isn't beer and pussy). As far as the geek reference is concern, it's not meant toward you and your friends, but meant as roles played in a commercial.

~Bruno~
the joint
Legendary

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 05:44:11 PM

The commercial is likely very doable.  I'm sure I can round up some people.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2012, 06:02:17 PM

OK! First question. What geeky subject are you and couple of your friends passionate about besides Bitcoin?
the joint
Legendary

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 06:50:21 PM

OK! First question. What geeky subject are you and couple of your friends passionate about besides Bitcoin?

Haha you could do the science vs. religion debate.  "Since when did science become Godly?"  (Enter Bitcoin logo).

I dig metaphysics but I can't say for the others.  It depends who I can find.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2012, 02:30:20 AM

The commercial is likely very doable.  I'm sure I can round up some people.

Haha you could do the science vs. religion debate.  "Since when did science become Godly?"  (Enter Bitcoin logo).

I dig metaphysics but I can't say for the others.  It depends who I can find.

Perfect! Simply have the others smoke a doobie and listen to Kitaro, and they should be golden.

We might as well add Plato to play a cameo role. Wait! Plato is in every commercial, somewhat like that black guy and in those Aflac duck commercials.
the joint
Legendary

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 02:39:53 AM

I love where this is going  Grin

Just let me know when you're ready for the next step (applying to both the cab ride and the commercial).  I may put a casual message on my facebook to see who wants to be in a commercial. 
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: