Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:40:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Generate new addresses?? 0.9.1?  (Read 734 times)
adizzle (OP)

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 05:31:13 PM

hello all ...newbie here
i have grown accustomed to the generate new address option on the 0.8.6 satoshi client and it prompting me for my priv key to generate them...having recently upgraded to 0.9.1 in my noobishness i cant seem to figure out how to generate new addresses... Huh Huh Huh        so here i am in the beginners & help sub-forum Grin Grin Grin

thank you all in advance for your replies
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
blacksails

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 05:49:28 PM

Wait, do you want to create a new address? Then you don't have to post the private keys or something like that you know!
But shouldn't there be an option like "Add" or "Create new address" in the "Receive" tab?
silvestar
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 05:54:06 PM

i have grown accustomed to the generate new address option on the 0.8.6 satoshi client and it prompting me for my priv key to generate them...having recently upgraded to 0.9.1 in my noobishness i cant seem to figure out how to generate new addresses... Huh Huh Huh

Before 0.9.0, when you generate a new address, you need to enter your password (rather than your private key).

Starting from 0.9.0, if you want to generate new addresses, click File -> Receiving addresses -> New, and you don't need to enter your password.
silvestar
Legendary

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 05:55:55 PM

But shouldn't there be an option like "Add" or "Create new address" in the "Receive" tab?

It was in the receive tab before 0.9.0.
Since 0.9.0, the list of receiving addresses and list of sending addresses have been moved to another place under File.
adizzle (OP)

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 06:03:15 PM

hey thank you all for clearing that up...however i thought wallet passphrase == priv key??!? no? Huh Huh
blacksails

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 06:05:57 PM

hey thank you all for clearing that up...however i thought wallet passphrase == priv key??!? no? Huh Huh
No, the private keys contains the proof your bitcoin is yours, and on your address. So wallet passphrase and private keys are not the same thing at all. The password is just the key to unlock your wallet.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 06:07:09 PM

No.

Every bitcoin address has its own private key.

Your wallet stores all of those private keys in a database (in 0.9.1 that's stored in wallet.dat) and encrypts the contents of that database with the password that you enter so that nobody else can access those private keys without the password.

When you create a bitcoin transaction, the wallet uses your password to decrypt the contents of the database, and then uses the private keys from the database to create digital signatures on the transactions providing authorization for those bitcoins to be spent.
silvestar
Legendary

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 06:07:18 PM

No problem

No, they are completely different things.
Your wallet passphrase is chosen by you and is used to encrypt your wallet file.
Your private keys are huge numbers (256-bit) and are chosen randomly by the wallet software.
For the details, you may refer to https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Private_key
adizzle (OP)

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 06:29:24 PM

thanks all i have been struggling with an issue..as a friend was helping me partition a hard drive on my comp he deleted my entire ubuntu operating system which held my qt wallet..i never backed up my wallet.dat equivalent on linux and i always thought wallet passphrase was == priv key...in an attempt to recover my coins i tried importing them to blockchain.infos wallet however i noticed that when i input "wallet passphrase" in the import priv key option it kept saying unknown formatt ...so with the recent light shed on the diff between priv key and wallet passphrase..i can come to a conclusion that my bitcoin are lost forever? Huh Huh
thank you all again in advance for your input and help..
silvestar
Legendary

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 06:35:53 PM

thanks all i have been struggling with an issue..as a friend was helping me partition a hard drive on my comp he deleted my entire ubuntu operating system which held my qt wallet..i never backed up my wallet.dat equivalent on linux and i always thought wallet passphrase was == priv key...in an attempt to recover my coins i tried importing them to blockchain.infos wallet however i noticed that when i input "wallet passphrase" in the import priv key option it kept saying unknown formatt ...so with the recent light shed on the diff between priv key and wallet passphrase..i can come to a conclusion that my bitcoin are lost forever? Huh Huh

If you have no backup of the wallet.dat file, I am afraid your bitcoin is lost now.
It is always a good idea to encrypt your wallet file and then make backups to your USB.
blacksails

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 05:20:45 AM

You could try to recover your private keys from the formatted disk. As long as the wallet.dat has not been written over there's a chance for it to work. You just need a recovery tool, and hope for the best. There's a high risk that it doesn't work though. But it could be worth a shot if you had much money in it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: