Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:15:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is "folding proteins at home" a good comparison to "mining"  (Read 1035 times)
Jordan23 (OP)

Activity: 382
Merit: 311

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 06:37:30 PM

LONG time lurker. Love this website! Anyhow I find that explaining the mining process is very difficult for non-tech people to non-tech people. Stanford University does a "folding proteins at home" thing that looks similar to mining. Anyone ever heard of it and is it a good comparison?

Thanks in advance.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 06:43:50 PM

The two things are very different things, very. Folding@Home folds proteins and helps humanity, mining is bruteforcing SHA256 hashes which benefit just the Bitcoin network and nothing else, everything else is wasted energy.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
Jordan23 (OP)

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 06:45:43 PM

They both use shared computing power to solve calculations. That's why I thought that. Thanks for replying.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 07:09:04 PM

They both use shared computing power to solve calculations. That's why I thought that. Thanks for replying.

and thats where the similarity ends. its like calling a peach, an apple, simply because they both grow on tree's

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 07:13:08 PM

For bitcoin you guess a number and if you're lucky you win.  If not, guess again.
For proteins you solve differential equations, like a giant physics problem.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
Jordan23 (OP)

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 07:23:02 PM

and thats where the similarity ends. its like calling a peach, an apple, simply because they both grow on tree's

Lol that's the perfect way to explain it to me! Thanks!
myk3916

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 06:46:19 AM

Yes... Or seti@home

donate: 185DzHCwvuRmymLvBkNDYiteP9SssY1nbK
timk225

Activity: 955
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 02:05:35 AM

In Folding@Home, you earn no money for your work, purchases, and expenses and power bill.

In mining, you make money.

Guess which one I chose!   Grin

I used to fold on my PCs.  I ran my own PC repair business on the side for years and I used to install F@H surreptitiously on people's computers as a service and advise them to keep the PC on at all times.  Never made me a damn penny, but it seemed like a noble thing to do for the greater good at the time.

DAMN do I wish I had heard of Bitcoin in late 2008 and knew the history of mining and price per coin it came to have!  I'd be a billionaire right now!  DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT !!!!!!

In early 2010 I built a folding PC with 4 8800GTs in it, knowing nothing of Bitcoin.  What a misinformed fool I was........ Tongue
CDNinATL

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 05:38:33 AM

I used to do the SETI thing and loved the idea that I may help find ET or something similar. But yeah...give me $$ for my hash rates...
Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 06:21:38 AM

Last time I check folding@home doesn't give you a 'reward' for the efforts of your computer/ASIC. Not to mention they do completely different things - folding maps protein folding while Bitcoin mining involves brute-forcing hashes until you find one below the target. They really aren't the same thing - you'd be better off simply explaining what mining is.
rich35

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 09:37:32 AM

In Folding@Home, you earn no money for your work, purchases, and expenses and power bill.

In mining, you make money.

Guess which one I chose!   Grin

I used to fold on my PCs.  I ran my own PC repair business on the side for years and I used to install F@H surreptitiously on people's computers as a service and advise them to keep the PC on at all times.  Never made me a damn penny, but it seemed like a noble thing to do for the greater good at the time.

DAMN do I wish I had heard of Bitcoin in late 2008 and knew the history of mining and price per coin it came to have!  I'd be a billionaire right now!  DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT !!!!!!

In early 2010 I built a folding PC with 4 8800GTs in it, knowing nothing of Bitcoin.  What a misinformed fool I was........ Tongue

I feel you mate, i used to play Dragons Tale which is how i got into Bitcoins back in 2012 i believe and i remember winning around 70 bitcoins, had as much as 100 bitcoins not long after. If only i`d kept them till they were $1000 each and not blown the lot on silk road while they were worth $10 each sigh..
fractalbc

Activity: 192
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 09:46:19 PM

LONG time lurker. Love this website! Anyhow I find that explaining the mining process is very difficult for non-tech people to non-tech people. Stanford University does a "folding proteins at home" thing that looks similar to mining. Anyone ever heard of it and is it a good comparison?
I suppose it is all in how you look at things.

To me, they are identical.  I do both as an excuse to play with new toys.  It is fun to build your epeen stuffing as many GPU's as you can in one system or optimizing your ppd/$ err, ghash/$.  It doesn't make much difference to me whether I am folding proteins or making bitcoins.  Though, making bitcoins allows me to exchange the results of my work for more toys which is something you can't do by folding proteins.

So, if you are an outsider who doesn't know a bitcoin from a protein?  Well, yeah, they are pretty much the same Wink

But, if you are into mining bitcoins to make a profit, or you are a biologist trying to find a cure for cancer?  Yeah, then they are very, very different.
freebit13

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

I got Satoshi's avatar!

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 07:27:00 PM

Thanks in advance.
I think the best comparison I've heard was that mining is like solving very big sudoku puzzles. Current difficulty would set the number of lines required in the sudoku. As difficulty increases, the number of lines in the sudoku would increase. Think of a sudoku 20,000x20,000 lines... not easy to solve, but once solved, it's easy to verify with a pc. <-- I may have 'hidden' an example of proof-of-work in there too  Wink

Decentralize EVERYTHING!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: