Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:12:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Will work for bitcoins.  (Read 1853 times)
DarkLinkXXXX (OP)

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 13, 2011, 07:05:02 PM

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Ok. I already spent my 0.05 bitcoins from the faucet instead of investing it wisely.

Could someone please give me a list of tasks that just about any idiot could do, but you are just to lazy to do so?

I only need 0.25 bt.

KTHXBYE
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: BCPG v1.39

iQFEBAEBAgAuBQJNpfPQJxxBbGV4IFN0dWJiaW5zIDxkYXJrbGlua3h4eHhAZ21h
aWwuY29tPgAKCRC7/A2Kf8hUUspqCACZvLVAoypaSERCcKFDb3qJcEYYYRBftkTd
+L38psfAfvl4IJtTrVd/UmS6rcFnD3/2dla72qBwPYC1P6iXyE4yrka0l/YzTARg
Nd9MXLO3ttzkeKIIFkgx6mdtRndnNrZWk9PL9rpliHp3i5wUNRbcvOWuLwRmdrls
9sRHted9T9TrctCZVio9snaciWsjbDR9TsgyxnE0qwiflFF6D44iG4brzRjiWkGO
DfrYts9V+SG/71Z5Q+bH5L4kmR33a5/RujQTYCHAboBpTNq8HHt//8AKeh+gtPjH
Q39V72jWbY3hAqqxI5TngHf7EYFk2ITihcLRa+N0ZjQwQM8FNn6Z
=qs+w
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Noitev

Activity: 812
Merit: 505

The Last NXT Founder

View Profile
April 13, 2011, 07:35:19 PM

.25 for what?
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 13, 2011, 07:57:28 PM

Go to Amazon Mechanical Turk.  Sign up there and do some work.  Sell whatever they pay you in (Amazon credits or whatever) for Bitcoins.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
cdhowie

Activity: 182
Merit: 107

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2011, 10:07:47 PM

Go to Amazon Mechanical Turk.  Sign up there and do some work.  Sell whatever they pay you in (Amazon credits or whatever) for Bitcoins.

I thought about writing something like mTurk but for Bitcoin instead.  Could be interesting, though I doubt many Bitcoiners are going to be willing to do the kind of mindless crap that mTurk lends itself to.

Tips are always welcome and can be sent to 1CZ8QgBWZSV3nLLqRk2BD3B4qDbpWAEDCZ

Thanks to ye, we have the final piece.

PGP key fingerprint: 2B7A B280 8B12 21CC 260A  DF65 6FCE 505A CF83 38F5

SerajewelKS @ #bitcoin-otc
AndrewBuck

Activity: 123
Merit: 15

View Profile
April 14, 2011, 12:09:10 AM

I have actually put in about 30 hours or so on the mturk website as a personal experiment to see how the system worked, whether it could be profitable to do it for a living, etc.  The answer I found was largely no (i earned about $35 dollars so almost exactly $1 per hour), however there are a lot of problems with the mturk site that if they were resolved I thought it could be much more effective.

One of the most obvious things is that they offer "qualifications" so that you can show you are likely going to the tasks correctly and thus ask for higher pay (since the job submitter doesn't have to give the task out 5 times to make sure its done right).  The problem is that the qualifications are not standardized and there is no way to search for tasks that you are qualified for (you can hide tasks for which you are unqualified but there is no way to show _only_ tasks that require qualifications that you have).

This makes it harder for skilled workers to find jobs (thus driving them out of the market) and it leaves only the people who do the tasks poorly because they don't have the proper skills, or the people who are willing to work for a few cents per hour.  This is apparently a well documented economics phenomena called a "lemon market" and there is a pretty good blog about its relation to mturk here:  http://behind-the-enemy-lines.blogspot.com/2010/07/mechanical-turk-low-wages-and-market.html

I think the mturk idea was a good one, it is just that amazon doesn't seem to interested in developing it (I signed up something like a year a go and I have yet to see a single change to any aspect of the website).  I think something like this is naturally suited to bitcoins and would really be a boon to the bitcoin community as people could earn bitcoins by actually doing something rather than just mining (nothing wrong with mining, I do it myself, but eventually the bitcoin economy actually has to produce something).

-Buck
lumos

Activity: 157
Merit: 104

View Profile
April 14, 2011, 12:47:56 AM

I have actually put in about 30 hours or so on the mturk website as a personal experiment to see how the system worked, whether it could be profitable to do it for a living, etc.  The answer I found was largely no (i earned about $35 dollars so almost exactly $1 per hour), however there are a lot of problems with the mturk site that if they were resolved I thought it could be much more effective.

One of the most obvious things is that they offer "qualifications" so that you can show you are likely going to the tasks correctly and thus ask for higher pay (since the job submitter doesn't have to give the task out 5 times to make sure its done right).  The problem is that the qualifications are not standardized and there is no way to search for tasks that you are qualified for (you can hide tasks for which you are unqualified but there is no way to show _only_ tasks that require qualifications that you have).

This makes it harder for skilled workers to find jobs (thus driving them out of the market) and it leaves only the people who do the tasks poorly because they don't have the proper skills, or the people who are willing to work for a few cents per hour.  This is apparently a well documented economics phenomena called a "lemon market" and there is a pretty good blog about its relation to mturk here:  http://behind-the-enemy-lines.blogspot.com/2010/07/mechanical-turk-low-wages-and-market.html

I think the mturk idea was a good one, it is just that amazon doesn't seem to interested in developing it (I signed up something like a year a go and I have yet to see a single change to any aspect of the website).  I think something like this is naturally suited to bitcoins and would really be a boon to the bitcoin community as people could earn bitcoins by actually doing something rather than just mining (nothing wrong with mining, I do it myself, but eventually the bitcoin economy actually has to produce something).

-Buck

i also did a similar thing, working for about 5 hours for 15 dollars. there were very very few skilled tasks available, like one at most offering dirt poor wages. i mostly wrote articles and found the people were reselling off the articles i wrote, these were journalists for poor magazines. i found this whole community of people mturking for fun, like this one woman it took her 2 hours to transcribe a 10 minute video and she was old and just doing it for fun, like farmville or something. the thing is, these people were doing the worst of the worst possible jobs, repetitive mindless task, very few people would put in offers for the ones which required minimal skill level like 'write an article on daycare'.
the biggest problem with mturk is that to advertise jobs is difficult and requires you to sign in blood. because then there were so few people offering work and so many people wanting work, the employers were scamming the employee's. to resolve this issue the system needs to be more fluid.
another problem is that you can only cash out if you are a us cardholder, when largely the people willing to mturk are from poorer countries, but for some reason they were doing it anyways? the employers are kind of aware that this is poor people on this website and are exploiting the users because they know they can.
NghtRppr

Activity: 504
Merit: 252

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2011, 01:02:29 AM
Last edit: April 14, 2011, 01:27:20 AM by bitcoin2cash

exploiting the users because they know they can

Just like you exploit stores by shopping around for the lowest price thereby forcing them to compete with each other? No, you wouldn't do that. You pay above the asking price for everything just so you aren't exploitative.
Distribution

Activity: 711
Merit: 500

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
April 14, 2011, 02:30:25 AM

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Ok. I already spent my 0.05 bitcoins from the faucet instead of investing it wisely.

Could someone please give me a list of tasks that just about any idiot could do, but you are just to lazy to do so?

I only need 0.25 bt.

KTHXBYE
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: BCPG v1.39

iQFEBAEBAgAuBQJNpfPQJxxBbGV4IFN0dWJiaW5zIDxkYXJrbGlua3h4eHhAZ21h
aWwuY29tPgAKCRC7/A2Kf8hUUspqCACZvLVAoypaSERCcKFDb3qJcEYYYRBftkTd
+L38psfAfvl4IJtTrVd/UmS6rcFnD3/2dla72qBwPYC1P6iXyE4yrka0l/YzTARg
Nd9MXLO3ttzkeKIIFkgx6mdtRndnNrZWk9PL9rpliHp3i5wUNRbcvOWuLwRmdrls
9sRHted9T9TrctCZVio9snaciWsjbDR9TsgyxnE0qwiflFF6D44iG4brzRjiWkGO
DfrYts9V+SG/71Z5Q+bH5L4kmR33a5/RujQTYCHAboBpTNq8HHt//8AKeh+gtPjH
Q39V72jWbY3hAqqxI5TngHf7EYFk2ITihcLRa+N0ZjQwQM8FNn6Z
=qs+w
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Get started with .10 here: https://bitcoinbonus.com/referral/2f626abe. You get that when you sign up. You'll get Bitcoin for referred purchases and things, but it's not until like 90 days later.
lumos

View Profile
April 15, 2011, 09:10:41 PM

exploiting the users because they know they can

Just like you exploit stores by shopping around for the lowest price thereby forcing them to compete with each other? No, you wouldn't do that. You pay above the asking price for everything just so you aren't exploitative.

its different when a corporation is exploiting a individual as to when an individual exploits a corporation, in that case there is a move to equal wealth whereas in the case of mechanical turks it only emphasizes wealth divides. so wtf are you saying? of course i am going to exploit some money grabbing bastards
NghtRppr

Activity: 504
Merit: 252

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2011, 09:12:52 PM

its different when a corporation is exploiting a individual as to when an individual exploits a corporation, in that case there is a move to equal wealth whereas in the case of mechanical turks it only emphasizes wealth divides. so wtf are you saying? of course i am going to exploit some money grabbing bastards

Not all businesses are large corporations. I'm sure you only shop at local stores and pay double what they ask, right?
lumos

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 01:52:41 PM

Not all businesses are large corporations. I'm sure you only shop at local stores and pay double what they ask, right?
no but i pay what they ask, because that is a price that they feel comfortable with to maintain their business. a local shop is not a poor young indian kid trying to earn a little money for his education or food. whereas, yes locals in poor countries, i have often paid double what they ask.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: