Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:50:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wallet with bitcoins in disappeared from Multibit! how to recover? (RECOVERED)  (Read 1192 times)
matt608 (OP)

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 10:09:13 AM
Last edit: April 22, 2014, 11:48:37 AM by matt608

I have been keeping a stash of bitcoins in multibit with a very strong password and it's worked fine for the last year but today when I opened Multibit my wallets where gone and the balance was 0.  I've tried following the troubleshooting advice but I've been unsuccessful.  

I followed these instructions"

"Where MultiBit stores your data
MultiBit stores user specific data such as logs and the default multibit.wallet in a "user data directory". This directory can be worked out as follows:
Check the the very top of the "Messages" tab for a message like "The user data directory is '/Users/jim/Library/Application Support/MultiBit'"
Navigate to the MultiBit installation directory and check for a file called "multibit.properties".  This file is not there.  These are the only files I can find there

authors.txt
configuration.md
COPYING
multibit-exe.jar
multibit.checkpoints
readme.txt
release_notes.txt

I then attempted the technical approach but failed to find anything.  

I used these commands in Terminal:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder

hidden files did appear but nothing containing "multibit" or "wallet"

I tried hitting hitting Command+Shift+Period but nothing happened.

I tried using Terminal using "ls -a" command and various filed appeared but nothing containing "multibit" or "wallet".

I have an external HD which I used to make backups, or so I thought, I just plug it in and let time machine do its thing every so often, but if I try the same process on there nothing comes up either.  The Multibit icon is there in the backed up applications folder but if I open it it's empty too and none of the searches reveal anything.

Please help!  
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
matt608 (OP)

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 10:27:36 AM

I just tried looking for the user data directory in the application support section where the 'view-messages' in multibit says it should be and it's not there (nor in the external HD application support section).  Don't know if that's of any relevance.
matt608 (OP)

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 11:41:52 AM

Update:

I restarted my computer and found some wallet files in the Application Support folder (that wasn't there before).  Importing wallets now.
matt608 (OP)

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 11:47:46 AM

SUCCESS!

Gabrie

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 09:05:59 PM

Your post helped my recovery my lost BTC too. By looking in the debug logs I discovered on what date I made the transaction and on what computer. I could now retrieve a functional backup. Thanks!
matt608 (OP)

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 10:10:50 AM

Your post helped my recovery my lost BTC too. By looking in the debug logs I discovered on what date I made the transaction and on what computer. I could now retrieve a functional backup. Thanks!

Glad to hear! Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: