Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:20:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mandatory Class Attendance  (Read 2221 times)
NghtRppr (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 252

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2011, 11:05:49 PM

What do you think about universities that treat students like babies and make class attendance mandatory? I'm not talking about labs or group projects. I'm talking about mandatory attendance of lectures where the professor drones out examples or stories that are already in the textbook. Also, before anyone makes any boneheaded workplace analogies, I don't pay to work, they pay me. Don't even go there.
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gluskab

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2011, 11:12:59 PM

I had a few classes like that in undergrad.  They were, without fail, the least useful classes in real life.
bitlotto

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

BitLotto - best odds + best payouts + cheat-proof

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2011, 11:15:43 PM

I think by making it mandatory they could be eliminating some of the brightest from their university. IF I was a genius, I wouldn't waste my time sitting in a class being bored when I could go to another school, not show up, and pass all the tests!

*Next Draw Feb 1*  BitLotto: monthly raffle (0.25 BTC per ticket) Completely transparent and impossible to manipulate who wins. TOR
TOR2WEB
Donations to: 1JQdiQsjhV2uJ4Y8HFtdqteJsZhv835a8J are appreciated.
divergenta

Activity: 162
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 13, 2011, 11:55:21 PM

That sounds really crazy.
I'm studying math and if I had mandatory class attendance I would probably not be very inspired to study at all.
I really like the freedom studying at a university gives to, I can do pretty much what I want with my time as long as pass my tests and exams.
But in the courses I'm currently taking there isn’t really any need for mandatory class attendance at least > 80% of the students registered on a course are attending the lectures just becuase it's probably the easiest way for most people to grasp and be introduced to advanced things.

But I have some friends who are studying humanities or/and economics and they say that the rate of attendance on the lectures at their departments are much lower.  But this is perhaps only something that is common in my university.
theGECK

Activity: 411
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 14, 2011, 12:36:31 AM

Sometimes, mandatory attendance policies are done so the college can maintain accreditation and/or eligibility to receive federal monies. Also, sometimes it is the professor's requirements, not the school's, but that depends on how much authority that particular college gives their faculty. Some professors honestly believe that their students wouldn't learn without hearing them read the textbook out loud during class.

Use my referral codes for Bitcoin faucets and I'll send you 30% of my referral bonus - Win/Win! PM for details on all sites available or use one of the links here.

FreeBitco.in | FreeDoge.co.in
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2011, 03:53:06 AM

I bet if you stop paying they'll stop making you go.

But really it's pretty silly on both sides. What do you think about a barber that insists you get a haircut if you pay him?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2011, 04:21:50 AM

Mandatory classes are a way to get lazy, unmotivated students out.

This is really how most mediocre educational institutions do it and it shows.

However there are some examples of mandatory classes.

For example in stanford, students must have completed java 101(or something like that) before they can do the SICP class.

I guess thats a prerequisit and not mandatory then.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
Anonymous

April 14, 2011, 05:12:30 AM

Mandatory classes are a way to get lazy, unmotivated students out.

This is really how most mediocre educational institutions do it and it shows.

However there are some examples of mandatory classes.

For example in stanford, students must have completed java 101(or something like that) before they can do the SICP class.

I guess thats a prerequisit and not mandatory then.

I love your new alpaca pic Smiley
jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 14, 2011, 06:54:54 PM

I had a physics class once that gave out quizzes at the beginning of class on nearly each class session.  I would take the quiz that lasted 10 min and leave each class.  Then I found out the teacher then gave quizzes at the end of class just to screw with the people that!  Physics is pretty textbook and should not be mandatory.  Everything is in the book.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: