Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:20:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Confused about transaction fee...  (Read 3177 times)
arachn1d (OP)

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 13, 2011, 11:31:24 PM

In my bitcoin client there is a transaction fee recommendation of 0.01. Does this mean anytime I send money to someone it'll charge them 0.01 back to me, or how does this work? I read the wiki but confused on who it affects. Who gets the 0.01 and at what point?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mahkul

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Every saint has a past. Every sinner has a future.

View Profile
April 13, 2011, 11:36:47 PM

In my bitcoin client there is a transaction fee recommendation of 0.01. Does this mean anytime I send money to someone it'll charge them 0.01 back to me, or how does this work? I read the wiki but confused on who it affects. Who gets the 0.01 and at what point?

This means that every time you make a transaction you give 0.01 to the person who finds the next block. The purpose of this is to encourage people to run miners, because it costs money (electricity). Once it gets to the stage where miners will be rewarded very small amounts of coins for finding a block, the transaction fees will be their main reward. Currently though if you attach the fee you may be sure that your transfer will be added to the next block before the transactions that weren't paid for. If you don't pay the fee it doesn't mean your transaction will not be added to the block, but it may not be the next one created.
arachn1d (OP)

View Profile
April 14, 2011, 08:17:11 AM

This means that every time you make a transaction you give 0.01 to the person who finds the next block. The purpose of this is to encourage people to run miners, because it costs money (electricity). Once it gets to the stage where miners will be rewarded very small amounts of coins for finding a block, the transaction fees will be their main reward. Currently though if you attach the fee you may be sure that your transfer will be added to the next block before the transactions that weren't paid for. If you don't pay the fee it doesn't mean your transaction will not be added to the block, but it may not be the next one created.
Thank you
Raulo

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 14, 2011, 08:37:56 AM

This means that every time you make a transaction you give 0.01 to the person who finds the next block.

Small correction. The fee is 0.01 BTC per 1KB of transaction size rounded up. A transaction with one input and two outputs (most typical) is 0.25 KB and the fee is 0.01. If your transaction has many inputs (like consolidating a wallet with many small change coins), the fee will be proportionally higher.

There is still no need to pay the fee unless you want to be (almost) sure to have the transaction included in the next block. The fee will probably become important when there are much more transactions going on and the competition for inclusion into the blocks is higher.

1HAoJag4C3XtAmQJAhE9FTAAJWFcrvpdLM
arachn1d (OP)

View Profile
April 14, 2011, 11:34:51 AM

This means that every time you make a transaction you give 0.01 to the person who finds the next block.

Small correction. The fee is 0.01 BTC per 1KB of transaction size rounded up. A transaction with one input and two outputs (most typical) is 0.25 KB and the fee is 0.01. If your transaction has many inputs (like consolidating a wallet with many small change coins), the fee will be proportionally higher.

There is still no need to pay the fee unless you want to be (almost) sure to have the transaction included in the next block. The fee will probably become important when there are much more transactions going on and the competition for inclusion into the blocks is higher.

Kind of sounds stupid if Bitcoin gets really busy that you have to "pay fees" to make sure your transactions go by faster. This is a silly gimmick to the whole idea of Bitcoin doesn't make sense.
Raulo

Activity: 238

View Profile
April 14, 2011, 11:40:19 AM

Kind of sounds stupid if Bitcoin gets really busy that you have to "pay fees" to make sure your transactions go by faster. This is a silly gimmick to the whole idea of Bitcoin doesn't make sense.

It's an inevitable consequence of finite supply of bitcoins. When the mining reward gets lowered to 25 BTC at block 210000 (and then lower by half every 210000 blocks), there has to be some mechanism to compensate miners for their hashing effort. Otherwise they will stop hashing and without them, the transactions will not be processed.

1HAoJag4C3XtAmQJAhE9FTAAJWFcrvpdLM
eMansipater

Activity: 294
Merit: 273

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2011, 11:41:56 AM

Why is this a surprise?  Processing transactions costs money, and fees pay for that on an open market.  It will always be cheaper than something like PayPal by a wide margin.  Do you know of any other secure payment system that will process a $100,000 transaction for $0.01 ?  Pretty good deal imo.

If you found my post helpful, feel free to send a small tip to 1QGukeKbBQbXHtV6LgkQa977LJ3YHXXW8B
Visit the BitCoin Q&A Site to ask questions or share knowledge.
0.009 BTC too confusing?  Use mBTC instead!  Details at www.em-bit.org or visit the project thread to help make Bitcoin prices more human-friendly.
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1345

Armory Developer

View Profile
April 14, 2011, 11:43:35 AM

Miners provide computing power to the network at the cost of electricity and hardware. If there was no return there would be no one mining. You would have to mine yourself to maintain the system, in which case you have to pay for the hardware and electricity yourself. In the late future, you'll even be able to witness miners turning down blocks that don't have adequate transaction fees attached.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2011, 12:00:14 PM

It's really not silly. Finding blocks requires hardware and energy. Right now the payment for that is mostly new coins. Eventually there won't be any new coins. There will be a smooth transition to fees only over the next 120 years. It's clever because it solves two problems at once, appropriate distribution of new coins and free/cheap transactions for a long time. Maybe cheap forever compared to alternatives.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
elewton

Activity: 407

DIA | Data infrastructure for DeFi

View Profile
April 14, 2011, 12:13:47 PM

I do worry about extremely small transactions.
Assuming 1 BTC = 1 USD, and the majority of transactions require a transaction fee, will people be able to transfer uBTCs with fees in the nBTC range, or are fees more likely related to fixed costs?  Will small transactions just take days to process, or will "free and almost free" transactions be permanently sidelined?

eof

Activity: 156

View Profile
April 14, 2011, 02:23:57 PM

Continuing this, could someone go into a bit of detail, (or maybe just point me to the link I should have read already) in how a miner 'chooses' which transactions go into the next block? 
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 14, 2011, 02:28:20 PM

Miners choose the way they want (meaning, the way they coded their software to choose), as long as all transactions they add are valid.
Alex Beckenham

Activity: 154

View Profile
April 14, 2011, 02:51:03 PM

To me it's no different than car enthusiasts "paying fees" to Ferrari/Lamborghini to make themselves go faster. The more you pay, the faster you can go.

The same applies to bicycles vs cars vs air travel.

The same applies to sending your bitcoin transactions through the bitcoin network.

goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1345

Armory Developer

View Profile
April 14, 2011, 05:23:09 PM

I do worry about extremely small transactions.
Assuming 1 BTC = 1 USD, and the majority of transactions require a transaction fee, will people be able to transfer uBTCs with fees in the nBTC range, or are fees more likely related to fixed costs?  Will small transactions just take days to process, or will "free and almost free" transactions be permanently sidelined?

Nowhere in the foreseeable future. Right now no one turns down free transactions, and the recommended fee of 0.01 BTC per kb of transaction is just insignificant right now for any miner to care.

cdonges

Activity: 8

View Profile
April 15, 2011, 05:59:45 AM

Sounds reasonable.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: