Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:21:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Rotate All Keys" Bitcoind  (Read 503 times)
theonewhowaskazu (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 07:04:39 PM

I have a wallet which may have been compromised but has history/accounts I need. It doesn't currently have any coins in it since I moved the coins off of it once I suspected compromise. I can take the wallet offline, keypoolrefill, re-encrypt it with a new password, then move the encrypted wallet online, only entering the password offline. This will make the new keys added via keypoolrefill to be effectively "offline" or "cold". But, old keys will still be vulnerable, adddresses generated before the wallet was compromised. Is there any way to make Bitcoind never use those compromised addresses again while keeping the history on those addresses available on bitcoind?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mcaizgk2

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 09:28:15 PM

If you need to keep historical data for the addresses these keys represent then you cannot delete them (by deleting or moving your wallet.dat file to another location) as bitcoin doesn't support yet a watch-only wallet functionality that would allow you to check on addresses that you don't currently own (there is a pending pull request for watch-only wallet functionality: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/4045 so I hope this really cool feature will be added soon to bitcoin).

On top of that, bitcoin will not use these addresses since they are empty (so they don't hold any unspent outputs) and since it generates a new address for every outgoing payment you make, so the only case these addresses will ever be reused automatically is if you ever receive any funds to them.

In the case you don't really need these historical data on-line you can stop bitcoind, delete your wallet.dat file (or move it to another location), then restart bitcoin and a new wallet.dat will be generated, fresh as new, which will offer you a peace of mind.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1063

Gerald Davis

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 09:53:18 PM

Bitcoind will never give you a "used" address when you ask for a new address. 
Bitcoind will never send change to a "used" address.

The only place bitcoind would "use" existing addresses is if they are still in the keypool and thus it has no knowledge they shouldn't be used. 

You could deplete all the "old" keypool addresses just by keeping the wallet locked and making a getnewaddress RPC call until you get an error message that the keypool is exhausted.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: