Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 08:50:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can you reject or send back bitcoins?  (Read 3427 times)
Ashpool (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 14, 2011, 01:47:54 AM

Say your running a service that has a maximum fee and for legal reasons you can not accept more?  Can you easily send back an overpayment?

What about if your a charity and some undesirables donate via btc?  Are you able to send the money back?
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitlotto

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

BitLotto - best odds + best payouts + cheat-proof

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2011, 01:58:52 AM

You would have to set it up so that you have a unique address for each person for sending to you and they would have to give your their address for returns.

*Next Draw Feb 1*  BitLotto: monthly raffle (0.25 BTC per ticket) Completely transparent and impossible to manipulate who wins. TOR
TOR2WEB
Donations to: 1JQdiQsjhV2uJ4Y8HFtdqteJsZhv835a8J are appreciated.
bitlotto

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2011, 02:01:43 AM

What about if your a charity and some undesirables donate via btc?  Are you able to send the money back?

I never understood this. If some undesirable person gave you money for YOUR charity, isn't that kind of a good thing as now they have less money to do their undesirable things?

I know. Even taking someone's money associates you with that person. I just wish more looked at it as- "great, take the money, put it to better use!"

*Next Draw Feb 1*  BitLotto: monthly raffle (0.25 BTC per ticket) Completely transparent and impossible to manipulate who wins. TOR
TOR2WEB
Ashpool (OP)

View Profile
April 14, 2011, 02:24:02 AM

I agree with you...but it can raise negative political implications which could affect your charity overall.

Bad guy gives you money....other good people are influenced not to give you money...

logically it does not make sense...but people are not always logical.

So the answer is?  No?

As an example here is a listed transaction
https://i.imgur.com/SsvOy.jpg

Can't you just send back to the address?  or is that my address?

bitlotto

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2011, 02:28:32 AM

I agree with you...but it can raise negative political implications which could affect your charity overall.

Bad guy gives you money....other good people are influenced not to give you money...

logically it does not make sense...but people are not always logical.

So the answer is?  No?

As an example here is a listed transaction

Can't you just send back to the address?  or is that my address?

You can not send back to the sender UNLESS you are sure they didn't use a shared wallet such as mybitcoin. If they used Bitcoin on their computer then you can send it back. But unless you ask them, you have no way of knowing.

TOR2WEB
bitlotto

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2011, 02:30:26 AM

EDIT: looks like its mine this is a huge problem.

Why? You can make a unique address for each person sending money. When you give them the unique address get theirs at the same time.

TOR2WEB
Ashpool (OP)

View Profile
April 14, 2011, 02:31:09 AM

Political donations, salary cap, conflict of interest.  I can think of many scenarios where this is an issue.

Financial services...for example in Australia you can run financial services related to non cash payments but once you get over a certain threshold you need proper regulatory approval. There is no way to impose a limit on the amount of money people send you.
bitlotto

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2011, 02:57:50 AM

Political donations, salary cap, conflict of interest.  I can think of many scenarios where this is an issue.

Financial services...for example in Australia you can run financial services related to non cash payments but once you get over a certain threshold you need proper regulatory approval. There is no way to impose a limit on the amount of money people send you.

Yes there is. Don't give them your Bitcoin address until they supply you theirs. Then if it's overpaid return some money. You could also in this step have them fill out name etc and keep track of all this in a database on your computer. All money would then be able to go back if needed and you could pick who you are returning it to.

TOR2WEB
Ashpool (OP)

View Profile
April 14, 2011, 03:49:22 AM

Hmm I guess thats the only way thanks for the input!

As a newcomer I guess I fall into the same trap that most newcomers suffer.  I keep turning over the concept of bitcoins in my head looking for flaws...but greater minds than mine have already covered this ground.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 14, 2011, 03:51:01 AM

Hmm I guess thats the only way thanks for the input!

As a newcomer I guess I fall into the same trap that most newcomers suffer.  I keep turning over the concept of bitcoins in my head looking for flaws...but greater minds than mine have already covered this ground.

More like bitcoiners discuss bitcoin for nine month straight, trying to look for problems in the system.

Insti

Activity: 294
Merit: 252

Firstbits: 1duzy

View Profile
April 14, 2011, 07:28:16 AM

You can always find out where the coins came from and send them back there again.

Try putting an address in http://blockexplorer.com/

Although I don't think the standard client provides any way to make sure you send back from the address you received on.
Which you probably want to do unless you can prove the other addresses you use are related.

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12880

View Profile
April 14, 2011, 12:00:03 PM

You can always find out where the coins came from and send them back there again.

Although I don't think the standard client provides any way to make sure you send back from the address you received on.
Which you probably want to do unless you can prove the other addresses you use are related.

It's not safe to refund in that way.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
April 14, 2011, 12:00:27 PM

Sheesh, talk about trying to create a problem where there isn't one!

If you don't know the sender's receiving address, just refund the coins to
1HqTdoMWtxZdbRb3awQDHykCWCPrJjKFyz
Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
April 14, 2011, 06:48:38 PM

Treat it the same way as receiving "too much" cash in the mail from an anonymous sender.

I'm not a lawyer, so I'm not sure what the legally correct reaction would be in this case.  Destroy the money? Put it in a safe until the situation is clarified? Hand it over to the authorities?    Either way, you can do the electronic equivalent of all those things with Bitcoins too.

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
cdonges

Activity: 8

View Profile
April 15, 2011, 06:01:55 AM

Sheesh, talk about trying to create a problem where there isn't one!

If you don't know the sender's receiving address, just refund the coins to
1HqTdoMWtxZdbRb3awQDHykCWCPrJjKFyz
rotfl
Insti

View Profile
April 15, 2011, 09:55:56 AM

It's not safe to refund in that way.

What is the problem with doing it like that?
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 15, 2011, 10:51:22 AM

The problem is your not sure the person who sent you the money actually controls the address in question. It could be an address from a shared wallet (like MyBitcoin or MtGox...)
Insti

View Profile
April 15, 2011, 11:15:50 AM

The problem is your not sure the person who sent you the money actually controls the address in question. It could be an address from a shared wallet (like MyBitcoin or MtGox...)
Thanks for the reply.

But, why is that my (as the rejector) problem?
If a donor has sent me some coins, from an address they control in some way, why is that any of my concern if they are using a proxy or not? Surely it is up to the proxy to maintain it's own refund procedures. Once I've returned the money to where it came from the issue is between the donor and the proxy and not me.

Pieter Wuille
Legendary

Activity: 1072
Merit: 1174

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2011, 11:30:00 AM

Bitcoin transactions in general do not have a from address. You may derive which addresses its incoming funds passed through, but there may be more than one, and some or all of them could belong to shared accounts. Actually, it's even possible to have no assignable "from" address at all - it's for example possible in the protocol to have a "spend to anyone" transaction, without defined recipient address.

I do Bitcoin stuff.
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 15, 2011, 11:34:50 AM

Once I've returned the money to where it came from the issue is between the donor and the proxy and not me.

Well, if you care about returning the money to the correct person, then you should worry to whom you send it! If you just want to get rid of the coins, feel free to send them to the address in my signature! Cheesy

There's no guarantee that those in charge of a share wallet can determine that the refund you send was meant for person X. Actually, the address in question could be a deposit address of another person, or just a change address of the bank, anyway, it's impossible to know.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: