Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 03:29:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Lloyds Bank Account Forcibly Closed  (Read 13672 times)
jjc326

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 07:20:25 PM

It is weird that they closed all your accounts.  I think I've had an account closed by the bank in the past when I left it overdrawn for too long.  Not sure if that's what happened to your one account at least.  The comments you've gotten make me think maybe it had something to do with the BTC trading account and they were looking for an excuse to close all your accounts and the overdrawn issue is the excuse they used.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Baitty

Activity: 532

Currently held as collateral by monbux

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 06:51:18 PM

It's a little hard to determine whether it was shut because of using it for Bitcoin or because it was overdrawn. Anyone else want to test out this theory?

mintymark (OP)

Activity: 286
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 03:37:52 PM

ShakyhandsBTCer, Baitty,  If you have something to add, please read at least the first page: the accounts were not overdrawn.
It was certainly bitcoins that upset them.  What drew attention to the account was many small deposits and larger overseas payments.

I have now shut down my Lloyds trading account they dont want it and it seems dangerous to keep it open longer.

I have approached every other High Street bank and asked if I can open a Business account and told them that the business involves Bitcoins. The answer has been in all cases, a rapid, "No You can't".
Even a few unusual banks like Bank of Cyprus and Bank of China, (Yes, they are Uk high street banks as well.)

I believe now that the current situation is that if you run a business that involves bitcoins you cannot be upfront about this with your bank or they will shut you down. They will most likely do that anyway once they discover.

[[ All Tips gratefully received!!  ]]
15ta5d1N8mKkgC47SRWmnZABEFyP55RrqD
Baitty

Activity: 532

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 01:19:25 PM

ShakyhandsBTCer, Baitty,  If you have something to add, please read at least the first page: the accounts were not overdrawn.
It was certainly bitcoins that upset them.  What drew attention to the account was many small deposits and larger overseas payments.

I have now shut down my Lloyds trading account they dont want it and it seems dangerous to keep it open longer.

I have approached every other High Street bank and asked if I can open a Business account and told them that the business involves Bitcoins. The answer has been in all cases, a rapid, "No You can't".
Even a few unusual banks like Bank of Cyprus and Bank of China, (Yes, they are Uk high street banks as well.)

I believe now that the current situation is that if you run a business that involves bitcoins you cannot be upfront about this with your bank or they will shut you down. They will most likely do that anyway once they discover.

That's bad news. So the only safe way of trading Bitcoin in the UK is through cash and locally? otherwise you risk losing your bank if you use any of the UK banks.

BTCmoons

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 12:24:34 AM

It's a little hard to determine whether it was shut because of using it for Bitcoin or because it was overdrawn. Anyone else want to test out this theory?
it was likely because he had a large amount if money going into and out of his account compared to his average daily balance
Crypto SI

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2014, 02:29:09 PM

I've had my LLoyds account recently closed, I can assure you it was because of dealings with Bitcoin, I had my account for 15 years, and had used it for a booming ebay account with up to 5k going through it per week, they never complained that I didnt have a business account, although they did suggest I open one, That was back in 2007 wayyyy before Bitcoin.

Recently I got a letter similar to this one but without a number to call, when visting the branch they told me to write a letter, which I will do and I will try to keep you posted on the outcomes. My situation is even more obvious than this one for reasons I can't really go into. I have a blog and trade frequently on Localbitcoins, so I'm not here to troll, just letting you all know that LLoyds are 100% Bitcoin hostile,
CryptoCamel

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

uads.io

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2016, 08:41:56 PM

Hi,

Any updates from OP or others would be greatly appreciated. This happened to be back in 2013 .. I had 2x lloyds accounts get shut down with 2months to leave. I'd been trading quite large volumes via lbc and bittlylicious. What was most upsetting is that as soon as I got notifies I applied online to get accounts elsewhere and was denied. Im not sure if it was related but I assume so. Worth noting is that my credit score was and still is perfect. Thankfully I have another account elsewhere but have been nervous about buying bitcoin from exchanges.

Can anyone provide an update as to whether they had any further issues either with original or other banks?

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
UADS.IO      █  Ultimate Altcoin Daytraders Spreadsheet - Increase Profits -  Journal Trades - Analytics - See your portfolio grow   █      UADS.IO
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: