Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:30:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Courier Network (For real)  (Read 11434 times)
Gryph

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 15, 2011, 05:03:56 PM

Your research plan would be MUCH more sensible and reasonable if a series of baby objectives were included rather than the final objective.

There is nothing wrong with baby steps, but no one unleashes their babies on the roads, they first attempt those baby steps in the safety of baby's home.

What we're arguing about here, anyway? We agree on the baby steps idea, it's just that I didn't make it sufficiently baby steps.

To put it mildly, that your robotic system compares unfavorably to existing systems.

We're attacking your lack of "sufficiently baby steps".

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
kiba (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 15, 2011, 05:14:35 PM

To put it mildly, that your robotic system compares unfavorably to existing systems.
So what if it is?

It's not going to be automatically superior from day one.

kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 15, 2011, 05:15:41 PM

And remote control was not good enough for you.

Gryph

View Profile
April 15, 2011, 05:17:48 PM

And remote control was not good enough for you.

nope
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 15, 2011, 05:25:24 PM

nope

Whatever get us to a proof of concept. The worst performance characteristic, literally likely to fall apart, etc. I don't care if a human have to follow it.

That is the spirit of my plan.

I think robot couriers are a cool idea. You think it's impractical. Pfft. Who fucking care.

Gryph

View Profile
April 15, 2011, 05:29:24 PM

nope

Whatever get us to a proof of concept. The worst performance characteristic, literally likely to fall apart, etc. I don't care if a human have to follow it.

That is the spirit of my plan.

I think robot couriers are a cool idea. You think it's impractical. Pfft. Who fucking care.

Cool Idea, and impractical are not mutually exclusive.

Do you not care about your project?
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 15, 2011, 05:37:29 PM

Do you not care about your project?

I said: whatever it takes to get a proof of concept going. If a human being have to follow it, let it be so. If it have to go around the neighborhood sidewalks ten time, let it be so. If it have to learn how to make it out of the door of my house, let it be so.

Is that so hard to communicate?

kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 15, 2011, 05:40:40 PM

In any case, I have no knowledge, experience, or the resources to execute it.

I have nothing to say until I execute a prototype.

Gryph

View Profile
April 15, 2011, 05:55:36 PM

@Kiba

So... You want to do whatever it takes.... ok....

But... you have "no knowledge, experience, or the resources to execute it."

I rest my case.
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 15, 2011, 06:46:02 PM

It would be easy (and cheaper) to build a device that rides on rails.  Weight and range wouldn't be an issue.  It could be be autonomous very easily.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
benjamindees
Legendary

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 01:13:33 AM
Last edit: April 16, 2011, 02:36:41 AM by benjamindees

http://www.instructables.com/community/do-it-yourself-4-wheel-adult-sized-pedal-bike-car/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_gauge

train detection

rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 10:28:53 AM

I was looking at hexacopters some time ago. Didn't end up getting one, got a Makerbot instead, but anyway, from what I could tell, a working package would come to around 2000 € (whatever that is in USD at the moment), with GPS autopilot and such. Can carry maybe a pound of material, top speed was supposedly around 80 km/h. (!) Don't think it can land on its own at the moment, not sure. But the ability to take off, rise to the desired height and to fly through a series of waypoints is there.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2011, 11:00:58 AM

It would be easy (and cheaper) to build a device that rides on rails.  Weight and range wouldn't be an issue.  It could be be autonomous very easily.

Not a bad idea actually, a monorail, something as simple as a pole that runs along the side of a few buildings would provide a local area delivery system that could be reliable,quick and safe.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
benjamindees
Legendary

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 07:03:38 PM

rail bike

bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 07:20:41 PM

A courier service is one of those things that humans are naturally really good at. They have built-in sensors, obstacle and collision avoidance algorithms, their own propulsion system (takes up nearly half their body), energy consumption and distribution systems, AND they can deal with many unforeseen circumstances including angry house pets. Best of all, their initial base cost of around $110k-$150k is not paid by you, but by a parent human or even partially subsidized by the government. You just have to pay a rental fee that works out to approximately minimum wage.
$110k-$150k? oh man, where did you get that number from? sounds way too low to me.
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2011, 08:59:39 PM

The whole problem with the rail idea is not so much the actual building of the rail network, although that in itself could be expensive... The problem is rather obtaining rights-of-way. From experience, this is also costly and fraught with red-tape. To do so you have to convince all the owners of rights-of-way to agree with your terms, as well as zoning commissions, and municipalities, then there is liability exposure to think about and the cost for underwriting it... A high bar for entry.   

Do it at night when no one is looking. But seriously, you're right. So pizza delivery boys/girls it needs to be then.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 09:19:26 PM

The whole problem with the rail idea is not so much the actual building of the rail network, although that in itself could be expensive... The problem is rather obtaining rights-of-way. From experience, this is also costly and fraught with red-tape. To do so you have to convince all the owners of rights-of-way to agree with your terms, as well as zoning commissions, and municipalities, then there is liability exposure to think about and the cost for underwriting it... A high bar for entry.   
there is a solution: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw8etotz3TI
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 17, 2011, 02:09:22 AM

Do it at night when no one is looking. But seriously, you're right. So pizza delivery boys/girls it needs to be then.

Why not? Many pizza delivery people deliver other stuff, too. I'm sure you know the stuff I'm talking about.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
MBS

Activity: 19

View Profile
April 17, 2011, 06:08:47 AM

Would probably easier to just get bike couriers in big cities to accept bitcoin.
Gryph

View Profile
April 17, 2011, 02:34:05 PM

A courier service is one of those things that humans are naturally really good at. They have built-in sensors, obstacle and collision avoidance algorithms, their own propulsion system (takes up nearly half their body), energy consumption and distribution systems, AND they can deal with many unforeseen circumstances including angry house pets. Best of all, their initial base cost of around $110k-$150k is not paid by you, but by a parent human or even partially subsidized by the government. You just have to pay a rental fee that works out to approximately minimum wage.
$110k-$150k? oh man, where did you get that number from? sounds way too low to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_of_raising_a_child

You can verify the data in the citations.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: