Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:32:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [research] Bitcoin insurance, do we need it?  (Read 705 times)
bitbudget (OP)

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 05:40:30 AM

Imagine there's a credible company that insures individual bitcoin accounts on various services like exchanges, wallets, pools etc.
Would you sign up?

Discussion on Reddit
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/23sdtj/bitcoin_insurance_do_we_need_it
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bitbudget (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 06:19:52 AM

Tester24834 > I think MANY would like this kind of service, including myself. I don't expect Bitcoin to be mainstream without insurance really.
It's why people use banks. Nobody is infallible, why not get a backup?
blacksails

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 06:22:34 AM

That would be a good thing IMO. However, I think that it's not very lucrative to insurance companies, since it would be very easy to "hack" your own account, and then get reimbursed from the insurance company. The company would probably go bankrupt pretty quick.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 06:32:15 AM

It is very difficult to track the bitcoin robberies. So the insurance companies will have a hard time in determining whether the alleged robbery is a fake one stage managed by the owner or not.
bitbudget (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 07:07:29 AM

I think the safest way would be to only cover cases that don't depend upon customers' good intentions like
  • unauthorized access to company server
  • employee negligence such as revelation or reset of user credentials
  • theft of company assets by its employees
  • seizure of company assets by authorities
  • company insolvency
5flags

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2014, 07:16:29 AM

How would an insurance company measure risk for an individual client?

There would have to be a Bitcoin Security Standard™ - some code of practice for companies holding Bitcoin. There would need to be regular, unannounced security audits, pen testing etc. It's not a trivial task.

http://5fla.gs - @5flags on Twitter
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2014, 07:27:33 AM

This already exists. You can pay 2% to have your bitcoins in a Bitcoin vault.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
5flags

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2014, 08:46:54 AM

Yes, but that's for cold storage, and it is much easier to quantify risk.

It is the exchanges and web wallets themselves that would have to take out the insurance if this was to work.

bitbudget (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 08:51:50 AM

Ideally all major companies that deal with crypto must be insured. That way users would be able to differentiate between reliable businesses and scammers.
5flags

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2014, 08:56:01 AM

Ideally all major companies that deal with crypto must be insured. That way users would be able to differentiate between reliable businesses and scammers.

Which brings us back to the question; as an insurance company, how to I rate the risk of any one particular web wallet or exchange suffering a loss?

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 01:45:30 PM

And how can you be sure that the coins are not going to be stolen from the Bitcoin vault. Will they refund the coins, if someone steals them?
bitbudget (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 03:47:27 PM

They probably provide some kind of legal contract at registration. Anyone tried that vault yet?
gagalady
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 04:19:57 PM

It would be good for us, but I doubt there will be companies like that because they would probably go bankrupt. Maybe there will be few but that's risky business looking from the company operators side.
bitbudget (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 05:40:02 PM

A company like that could compensate risks with higher premiums if they find customers willing to pay high premiums.
thresher

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 06:00:47 PM

Llyod's of London started out insuring cargo on ships (I believe, so don't tear me a new one.)
I can't imagine how many loads of cargo were lost in the 7th century, when there were no cameras, fingerprints, dna, etc, yet somehow Llyods is still around.
I am aware they are not a "traditional" insurance company, but i'd imagine that's where bitcoin insurance would begin.   

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: