Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 04:36:37 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I no longer consider bitcoin as a decentralized currency...  (Read 6271 times)
dogechode

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 02:26:53 PM

I think some of you guys are missing the point here. The bottom line is that pretty soon a lot of miners are liable to just give up and sell their equipment off and we will be left with a handful of massive datacenters doing all of the mining. So instead of hundreds of thousands or even millions of individuals all around the globe mining, you will have consolidation occurring until perhaps a few hundred companies with massive datacenters/farms are doing all of the mining. How will that be any different from banks, visa/MC, etc?
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2014, 02:33:43 PM

I think some of you guys are missing the point here. The bottom line is that pretty soon a lot of miners are liable to just give up and sell their equipment off and we will be left with a handful of massive datacenters doing all of the mining. So instead of hundreds of thousands or even millions of individuals all around the globe mining, you will have consolidation occurring until perhaps a few hundred companies with massive datacenters/farms are doing all of the mining. How will that be any different from banks, visa/MC, etc?
I will never stop mining, even if I'm at a small loss. I'm doing this to support the network, not to gain profit.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2014, 02:38:37 PM

Nothing is "killing" Bitcoin, OP is either misinformed or trolling.

Look at Bitcoin fiat's exchange value on a logarithmic scale spanning 3+ years, and you will see it's doing remarkably well.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 02:45:53 PM

I see a huge difference. It's your choice not to mine. You do not have the option of offering banking services. Consolidation can only happen in bitcoin if we choose not to compete. Consolidation in the banking industry is something we can't do a damn thing about.

Bitcoin mining is a market that has almost no barrier to entry and as such the most efficient will win. That could be anyone willing to work hard and invest in infrastructure.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
dogechode

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 02:50:27 PM

Bitcoin mining is a market that has almost no barrier to entry and as such the most efficient will win. That could be anyone willing to work hard and invest in infrastructure.

Really, no barrier to entry? Last I checked it was basically impossible to even clear ROI on any kind of bitcoin mining equipment unless you start talking about spending 5-6 figures and even then it's doubtful.
Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 02:51:03 PM

it is decentralized not in the sense that every node is equal but that every node has equal opportunity. A bit like the internet itself. The free market leads to a power-law type distribution of  node importance.

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
durrrr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 02:51:57 PM

i think we need to realise that bitcoin is now more tan just people mining them and selling them or trading them for goods. alot of people actually do use bitcoin as a currency

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 03:05:36 PM

Nothing is "killing" Bitcoin, OP is either misinformed or trolling.

Look at Bitcoin fiat's exchange value on a logarithmic scale spanning 3+ years, and you will see it's doing remarkably well.

couldn't have said it better.
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 03:22:48 PM

What is killing the bitcoin are the multi-million dollar data-centers dedicated to mining

and difficulty raise ...
and business plan on professional data center crash ...

and people that mining with little system stay ...

i love bitcoin.  Wink

https://bitcoinwisdom.com/bitcoin/difficulty
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 05:21:43 PM

Really, no barrier to entry? Last I checked it was basically impossible to even clear ROI on any kind of bitcoin mining equipment unless you start talking about spending 5-6 figures and even then it's doubtful.
Well, yes money is a barrier. But it is open to anyone willing and able to spend. That has always existed. When CPU mining was still going on it took a decent computer. That precluded entry to many/most? people on the planet.
But try starting a bank or even buying an ATM. Then you will see the product of decades of unholy laws and regulation that do nothing except secure the entrenched powers of big banks.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
btcxyzzz
Legendary

Activity: 888
Merit: 1000

Monero - secure, private and untraceable currency.

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2014, 06:23:21 PM

Everyone talks about centralization, but I say the rules of the game are the same for big players too, and I don't see anyone prevailing. The only difference is that regular user of Bitcoin will have to buy it, not mine it, but it's irellevant to me actually.

Token Bubbles – Transforming the ICO Rating and Analysis Space.
igorr

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 06:23:57 PM

I'm not saying I have lost any faith but it is lost its touch since I was introduced in 09 if anything it has become monopolized.

What is killing the bitcoin are the multi-million dollar data-centers dedicated to mining, little to no acceptance as an alternative payment method, nearly impossible to keep up with difficulty increases, and limited peer to peer exchanges.

Tell me otherwise?

you understand, but too late.

Cлaвьcя, Oтeчecтвo нaшe cвoбoднoe,
Бpaтcкиx нapoдoв coюз вeкoвoй,
Пpeдкaми дaннaя мyдpocть нapoднaя!
Cлaвьcя, cтpaнa! Mы гopдимcя тoбoй!
igorr

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 06:25:49 PM

View Screen Capture

Cлaвьcя, Oтeчecтвo нaшe cвoбoднoe,
Бpaтcкиx нapoдoв coюз вeкoвoй,
Пpeдкaми дaннaя мyдpocть нapoднaя!
Cлaвьcя, cтpaнa! Mы гopдимcя тoбoй!
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2014, 07:06:51 PM

What if there was no way to get into mining or only a limited number of people were allowed to mine?
Mining bitcoin is an investment. Investments usually aren't under 4-5 figures.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
dogechode

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 07:10:30 PM

Thank you lol, I'm so sick of everyone posting the same picture of Bitcoin's growth from the last few years as though it is somehow evidence that it will go up forever. We have been losing ground for a solid 5 months or so now.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2014, 07:16:49 PM

I do not know of too many businesses where you can buy hardware for $500 and have a payback within six months.  There is hardware out there that is profitable now if you know where to look.  The barrier to entry is quite low. 

I don't like ASICs yet I own them.  For a while in December things looked bad as huge farms gobbled everything up and small miners could not really buy anything good.  But now there are two players out there selling ASICs freely and honestly and their customers (many just little guys) are now more then 20% of the hashrate.  That combined with the fact that the BIG FARMS are not one but really several totally unconnected businesses so the hashrate is actually MORE decentralized than it was in December.

No one is giving you super easy profits anymore, sorry.  Mining is now hard but that does not make it centralized. 

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2014, 07:17:42 PM

time was never better for it.

keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 07:20:36 PM

I'm not saying I have lost any faith but it is lost its touch since I was introduced in 09 if anything it has become monopolized.

What is killing the bitcoin are the multi-million dollar data-centers dedicated to mining, little to no acceptance as an alternative payment method, nearly impossible to keep up with difficulty increases, and limited peer to peer exchanges.

Tell me otherwise?

I definitely hear what you are saying...it feels like we are stepping into a completely different era for bitcoin.  It has moved from its libertarian type crowd, to a much more corporate era.   It is a double edged sword, because if we all want prices to rise, then we need corporate America (and rest of world) getting involved.  While that happens, it steers away from what a good amount of people want bitcoin to stand for.
counter

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 07:28:52 PM

Mining is being attacked and the OP makes some good points.  But Mining has been hard for the average person to get into for a good while.  I think it is a bit of an overstatement to say Bitcoin is now decentralized but I like seeing the topic being discussed.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2014, 07:31:32 PM

Mining is being attacked and the OP makes some good points.  But Mining has been hard for the average person to get into for a good while.  I think it is a bit of an overstatement to say Bitcoin is now decentralized but I like seeing the topic being discussed.
So you're saying that it is now centralized?

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: