Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 07:22:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PSA: Add a Full Node for just $19/year!  (Read 17704 times)
chek2fire
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1142

Intergalactic Conciliator

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 03:44:46 PM

the next step will be a setup of home node Smiley

http://www.bitcoin-gr.org
4411 804B 0181 F444 ADBD 01D4 0664 00E4 37E7 228E
rme

Activity: 756
Merit: 504

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 07:30:07 PM

Good initiative!

I already have a node, the only problem is that I want to contribute even more to the network, I mean, I have set the maxconnections to a very hight value but I only get <100 connections, I have a lot of spare bandwith (100Mbps) and 2GB of ram.
forevernoob

Activity: 687
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 07:35:36 PM

How much bandwidth per month does a node use approximately?

rme

Activity: 756
Merit: 504

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 07:43:26 PM

How much bandwidth per month does a node use approximately?

From some of the servers listed here the average is 50 GB In, 200 GB Out aprox, depends on the number of connections that your node has.

That is less than 1mbps (providing that the node is 24/7).
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 08:10:15 PM

Good initiative!

I already have a node, the only problem is that I want to contribute even more to the network, I mean, I have set the maxconnections to a very hight value but I only get <100 connections, I have a lot of spare bandwith (100Mbps) and 2GB of ram.

You can't contribute to the network more than what is needed.   Nodes connecting outbound randomly select other nodes with open inbound connections.  They favor peers with higher uptime, low error rates, and good latency.   Outbound connections are limited to eight per node so if the pool of available inbound connections is larger than the number of required outbound connections not all nodes will be "maxed out".

That is actually a good sign, it indicated the network has expansion capacity for new nodes in the most important attribute, available inbound connections.  If all nodes accepting inbound connections were maxed out it would make if very difficult for new nodes which aren't accepting inbound connections to find peers. So even the excess unused capacity is helping to strengthen the network.
seriouscoin

Activity: 658

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 07:14:24 AM

I would have thought a $10 DigitalOcean VPS would do it. If someone would like to fund this for $10 a month, then you have a node. =)

Any money sent here will be used to fund full nodes. (If I don't get enough I'll return funds to sender.)

BTC: 1PTToEChNHYmtYpk1D4siscJdSwV1oYCNX

Fck off.... $19/year is what the topic says. I hope no1 "donates" to you.
bardi.harborow

Activity: 114
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 03:31:01 AM

Fck off.... $19/year is what the topic says. I hope no1 "donates" to you.

Somehow read that as $19/month, hence the comment. I've deleted it. Massive apologies.
zoro1

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 01:14:48 PM

guys, i really don't understand.
Isn't a 24/7 running simple win7 wallet core with full downloaded blockchain a full node?
Do we have to make extra arrangements?

https://storjtalk.org/index.php
storj:decentralized cloud and much more!
ljudotina
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1029

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 02:16:18 PM

Since introduction of ASIC's, bitcoin does not deserve private full nodes aside from those that miners use. Those who make money out of it, should pay for it too. If Bitcoin community and developers wanted spread out, uncentralized, node distribution, they woul never let ASIC's inside Bitcoin. One single little change in code would diaable all known ASICS. After that change no one else would ever try to create another one as they would know that their investment would fail as protocol would change again (noone would invest milions into creating chips that would be rendered useless as soon as they hit the network).

allgoodthings1 (OP)

Activity: 270
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 03:30:36 PM

guys, i really don't understand.
Isn't a 24/7 running simple win7 wallet core with full downloaded blockchain a full node?
Do we have to make extra arrangements?
Critical to your question: Check the number of connections you have -- icon at lower right of the window. If you're always stuck at '8', you do not have a full node contributing to the network; if you have more, you do. If you have only the 8, you need to open port 8333 of your firewall and restart the bitcoin client. You should then see your number of connections tick up to higher values. That will confirm you then have a contributing full node.

IRS 501(c)(3) Public Charities That Accept Bitcoin https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=758674.0
Avoid U.S. Taxes on Bitcoin. Give to Charity. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=627860.0
Xelpherpolis

Activity: 476

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 04:54:35 PM

Its a fantastic idea and all, but paying for a server to have somebody else remote into it, add a status script and setup bitcoind with there donation address pasted on the website for something you pay for, seems... not right.

It should be crediting the person who is paying for that VPS to run the node. Not directing to his wallet.
allgoodthings1 (OP)

Activity: 270

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 05:08:46 PM

Its a fantastic idea and all, but paying for a server to have somebody else remote into it, add a status script and setup bitcoind with there donation address pasted on the website for something you pay for, seems... not right. It should be crediting the person who is paying for that VPS to run the node. Not directing to his wallet.
Not a problem. Morblias will gladly do it however you wish. Actually, when he and I first corresponded about him helping me with this, he asked for my donation address to put on the page. I responded that he should put his instead, since he was doing all the work and would be the one setting up additional nodes with any donation money folks might send. He obliged and set it up the way you see it.

I was and am fine with someone else getting the credit for the node. All I'm doing is paying for it, thankful someone else could set it up for me. I want no credit for this. After all, it's my contribution to the network.  Let's just call in anonymous, yes?

IRS 501(c)(3) Public Charities That Accept Bitcoin https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=758674.0
Avoid U.S. Taxes on Bitcoin. Give to Charity. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=627860.0
Xelpherpolis

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 05:46:38 PM

Its a fantastic idea and all, but paying for a server to have somebody else remote into it, add a status script and setup bitcoind with there donation address pasted on the website for something you pay for, seems... not right. It should be crediting the person who is paying for that VPS to run the node. Not directing to his wallet.
Not a problem. Morblias will gladly do it however you wish. Actually, when he and I first corresponded about him helping me with this, he asked for my donation address to put on the page. I responded that he should put his instead, since he was doing all the work and would be the one setting up additional nodes with any donation money folks might send. He obliged and set it up the way you see it.

I was and am fine with someone else getting the credit for the node. All I'm doing is paying for it, thankful someone else could set it up for me. I want no credit for this. After all, it's my contribution to the network.  Let's just call in anonymous, yes?

Now that sounds much better, I like that.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 06:22:34 PM

Since introduction of ASIC's, bitcoin does not deserve private full nodes aside from those that miners use. Those who make money out of it, should pay for it too. If Bitcoin community and developers wanted spread out, uncentralized, node distribution, they woul never let ASIC's inside Bitcoin. One single little change in code would diaable all known ASICS. After that change no one else would ever try to create another one as they would know that their investment would fail as protocol would change again (noone would invest milions into creating chips that would be rendered useless as soon as they hit the network).

That is silly.  I run a full node (actually a number of them) because I personally benefit from having a trustless connection to the network.  Running multiple nodes allows our company to ensure we aren't isolated.  That isn't going to change in the future.
Xelpherpolis

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 06:58:30 PM

I have a complete mining farm at my personal datacenter, we also run public nodes on the bitcoin network to try and help speed up blockchain downloading for new or returning users.
Morblias

Activity: 576

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 09:18:54 PM

FYI: 1GB ram with swap and 40gb hard drive $16.99/year. They are sold out right now, but keep an eye on them to try to grab one if you are looking for cheap VPS: https://bluevm.com/cart.php?gid=42 (i haven't used this host yet, so I can't comment on how good/bad they are).

The $30/year one is a pretty good deal from them too with 2GB ram 60GB HD.

Tips / Donations accepted: 1Morb18DsDHNEv6TeQXBdba872ZSpiK9fY
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 10:17:08 PM

FYI: 1GB ram with swap and 40gb hard drive $16.99/year. They are sold out right now, but keep an eye on them to try to grab one if you are looking for cheap VPS: https://bluevm.com/cart.php?gid=42 (i haven't used this host yet, so I can't comment on how good/bad they are).

The $30/year one is a pretty good deal from them too with 2GB ram 60GB HD.

wow, that looks good.

let us know when they open up!
stjepan

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 11:35:06 PM

DeathAndTaxes - yes you have profit out of it, you shoud run em
Xelpherpolis  - same...run, please do

But ppl that get nothing out of it should really think twice before spending their hard earned money....shake their head before they start talking etc. And if it's not "hard earned money, please send some to my adress.
BTC devs made it this way when they introduces ASIC's (well to be more precie, when they didint change protocol so ASIC's become heap of useless electonic chips) and that's the way it will stay. We all should acknowlage it that way and start acting like that. It's not uncentralized as it was suppose to be and that's the reality.
doof

Activity: 765
Merit: 503

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2014, 01:22:29 AM

I run a few on Azure VMs.  Just my 0.02BTC contribution.  Thought about building rasberry pie, solar powered nodes.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 02:27:40 AM

But ppl that get nothing out of it should really think twice before spending their hard earned money

Most people run a full node because they gain security from having the ability to independently verify txs and blocks.   There is nobody who gets "nothing" from running a full node other than someone who doesn't own any Bitcoins.  Satoshi had already considered that in time most users would not run a full node.  This is covered in the white paper written a year before the genesis block.  The security model doesn't need everyone to run a full node.  If someday 100,00 merchants accepted Bitcoins they would have a vested interest to run full nodes to ensure the network remains decentralized.  Even if only 10% of them do that is more full nodes then currently exist today.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: