Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 08:56:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Have anyone visited Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch?  (Read 884 times)
blacksails (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 05:48:04 PM

So, I recently heard about the town of Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, and because of its name it would be interesting to visit it on a trip to UK which I'm thinking of doing.
Have anyone of you visited it and is it worth visiting at all (except getting to say I've been to Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch)? Cheesy
pseudonymdude
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 06:23:23 PM

I wasn't sure if you were making that up until I Googled it.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2014, 06:37:10 PM

rohnearner

Activity: 350
Merit: 252

REAL-EYES || REAL-IZE || REAL-LIES||

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2014, 06:39:03 PM

I wasn't sure if you were making that up until I Googled it.
same here..! the first thing i did after reading OP is selected the text rigt clicked and clicked on " Search google for Llanf....." and i was surprised when it turned out to be a real place..!

blacksails (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 06:40:07 PM

Here's how to pronounce it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BXKsQ2nbno Grin
Dogtanian

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 07:03:55 PM

No, but I've been to Merthyr Tydfil.
blacksails (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 07:05:33 PM

No, but I've been to Merthyr Tydfil.
They have funny names on their cities, the welsh! Cheesy
Reuben

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 10:27:57 AM

Why would they even use a name this long?
sana8410

Activity: 448

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 10:42:53 AM

Exactly!It is so confusing and hard to pronounce it ,i think that who ever name that village was crazy.It seams that the name has a meaning :
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch name means "Saint Mary's Church (Llanfair) in the clearing (pwll) white hazel (gwyngyll) next (goger) fast stream (y chwyrndrobwll) and St. Tysilio (llantysilio) red cave (gogogoch)."

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
sana8410

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 11:07:06 AM

Exactly!It is so confusing and hard to pronounce it ,i think that who ever name that village was crazy.It seams that the name has a meaning :
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch name means "Saint Mary's Church (Llanfair) in the clearing (pwll) white hazel (gwyngyll) next (goger) fast stream (y chwyrndrobwll) and St. Tysilio (llantysilio) red cave (gogogoch)."
If i may ask what language is it..?
Welsh language -spoken throughout Wales, in English border towns, and in the Chubut province of Argentina
http://www.wales.com/en/content/cms/english/about_wales/language/language.aspx

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
rohnearner

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2014, 11:15:07 AM

Welsh language -spoken throughout Wales, in English border towns, and in the Chubut province of Argentina
really quite fascinating..! I thought it was just random name but now after knowing that it has some meaning behind it makes more sense. 

notbatman
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 11:25:53 AM

Reuben

Activity: 42

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 11:30:00 AM

Couldve just called it st marys church.
sana8410

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 11:30:35 AM

really quite fascinating..! I thought it was just random name but now after knowing that it has some meaning behind it makes more sense. 
We have the village with the longest name we should find the town/village with the shortest name .

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
Whitehouse

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 11:32:15 AM

Couldve just called it st marys church.

Or St Mary's Church in the Clearing  Cheesy.

rohnearner

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2014, 12:23:00 PM

or maybe neither of the two. and really a real place
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llanfairpwllgwyngyll

Maps

platorin

Activity: 392

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 12:43:34 PM

Well, it's a town in Ireland or Wells if I am not mistaken. Never been there tho.
jc2alvarez

Activity: 6

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 12:50:48 PM

It looks like the "word" my 3-year old nephew formed by haphazardly adding random letter tiles. LOL

How do you even pronounce it?!?  Huh
noviapriani

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 01:51:42 PM

So, I recently heard about the town of Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, and because of its name it would be interesting to visit it on a trip to UK which I'm thinking of doing.
Have anyone of you visited it and is it worth visiting at all (except getting to say I've been to Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch)? Cheesy
yeah it's in North-western Wales. The locals don't really use the full name there are shorter versions. It translates into English as: St. Mary's Church in the Hollow of the White Hazel Near to the Rapid Whirlpool of Llantysilio of the Red Cave. It's not a traditional name just a "publicity stunt"

blacksails (OP)

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 02:04:54 PM

We have the village with the longest name we should find the town/village with the shortest name .
There are a few that are longer:
Taumata­whakatangihanga­koauau­o­tamatea­turi­pukakapiki­maunga­horo­nuku­pokai­whenua­kitanatahu, New Zeeland. It currently has the world record in longest one word name.
It translates: The summit where Tamatea, the man with the big knees, the climber of mountains, the land-swallower who travelled about, played his nose flute to his loved one.

Then of course we have:
Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Yuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit, Thailand. It's also know as Bangkok! Tongue
Translation:
City of angels, great city of immortals, magnificent city of the nine gems, seat of the king, city of royal palaces, home of gods incarnate, erected by Visvakarman at Indra's behest.
Grin
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: