Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 03:40:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Cryptsy handing over user info to big brother!  (Read 2201 times)
mayday9 (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 06:29:20 PM

It seems to be impossible to turn of email notifications from Cryptsy. Every time a user makes a wallet to wallet transaction, cryptsy sends an email containing ALL the data - how much of which currency was sent from user's cyptsy wallet to external wallet. This effectively links an email address to cryptsy account and to the outgoing wallet.

We all know that big brother loves to collect emails. Cryptsy helps them to easily compile a database of millions of wallet addresses - link them to emails - link emails to people, thus uncovering who owns what and does business with whom.

Cryptsy why don't you:
A - give people the ability to disable email notifications if they want
B - send a little less info in the notification email - if you must

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4454

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 06:37:59 PM

It seems to be impossible to turn of email notifications from Cryptsy. Every time a user makes a wallet to wallet transaction, cryptsy sends an email containing ALL the data - how much of which currency was sent from user's cyptsy wallet to external wallet. This effectively links an email address to cryptsy account and to the outgoing wallet.

We all know that big brother loves to collect emails. Cryptsy helps them to easily compile a database of millions of wallet addresses - link them to emails - link emails to people, thus uncovering who owns what and does business with whom.

Cryptsy why don't you:
A - give people the ability to disable email notifications if they want
B - send a little less info in the notification email - if you must

users:
A if your going to dodge taxes and paranoid of governments, dont use cryptsy
B if you think th government waste time on you, rather then big threats, you need your ego checked
C even if government have all email data, your not that important for them to stalk you, so get on with your life

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 06:42:33 PM

they are doing huge dragnet surveillance operations flying drones over entire neighbourhoods harvesting bulk data that is compiled into massive databases on you that remains around forever. your complacency is dangerous.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 06:44:44 PM

users:
A if your going to dodge taxes and paranoid of governments, dont use cryptsy
B if you think th government waste time on you, rather then big threats, you need your ego checked
C even if government have all email data, your not that important for them to stalk you, so get on with your life

What an unbelievable display of ignorance.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 06:54:59 PM

its not ignorance.

its just knowing the reality of life. if they have every binary digit of info relating to your life. then what are you going to do about it. it seems many people prefer to pretend that the government is reading your personal data because you believe the government think your at the top of a wanted list. get your ego's checked. as it has been said the data may just sit there, never being viewed/used, ever. your not really that important.

also if you have the fear that they are going to stalk you and read every bit of data about you, then dont use services that offer such info. which in this case means dont use cryptsy.

also what will you actually personally do to stop the government from grabbing data through tapping your internet or using drones that has wifi sniffing tools...... nothing, you will just bitch and moan about it on a forum.

so now we are at the reality of life. government is grabbing data and your not going to stop drones, internet tapping.. so now you are left with the choice. if you dont like a website that releases info.. avoid it.

there is a difference between ignorance and rational thought..

Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 06:57:04 PM

Are we actually debating if the gov spies on us after snowden.. like really?  Holy f ing f.. I hate sheeple
thresher

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 07:03:00 PM

Personally I agree with the poster, and people should not use the same email they put on a government form for personal issues (not that I follow that rule, but I can't fault it.)

Other than that, how many people that trade on cryptsy actually make enough money that they are going to be audited, let alone get to the point where your explanation isn't good enough and they start a criminal investigation, or whatever the fuck happens.   
spazzdla
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 07:05:37 PM

Personally I agree with the poster, and people should not use the same email they put on a government form for personal issues (not that I follow that rule, but I can't fault it.)

Other than that, how many people that trade on cryptsy actually make enough money that they are going to be audited, let alone get to the point where your explanation isn't good enough and they start a criminal investigation, or whatever the fuck happens.   

Well TBH I am Canadian and my gov seems to currently NGAF if it's under 10k.
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 07:05:46 PM

Are we actually debating if the gov spies on us after snowden.. like really?  Holy f ing f.. I hate sheeple

no, its a certainty that the US are grabbing data. but what is being discussed is with all of that data on millions of people. some people here think they are of such importance that governments are actually reading data concerning them.

the ego of some basement dwellers thinking they are more important then terrorists, murderers and rapists. truly amuses me

spazzdla
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 07:12:17 PM

Are we actually debating if the gov spies on us after snowden.. like really?  Holy f ing f.. I hate sheeple

no, its a certainty that the US are grabbing data. but what is being discussed is with all of that data on millions of people. some people here think they are of such importance that governments are actually reading data concerning them.

the ego of some basement dwellers thinking they are more important then terrorists, murderers and rapists. truly amuses me

I'd bet dollars to donuts they are selling the data they recieve, although again... I see your point of so what, but I want to get paid for release data about me god damnit.  You wanna know what my cock looks like NSA you gotta pay, or well should have to pay.. free loaders.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 07:15:33 PM

Any legitimate Virtual Currency business operating in the US or serving US customer is required by BSA to provide specific info to Government and Law Enforcement. 

This is the entire basis for Know Your Customer (KYC) Anti-Money Laundering (AML) Laws and Regulations.

mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1190

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2014, 07:25:51 PM

Potential Solution: https://www.cryptex.email/

I haven't used this, but I've heard great things!
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 07:25:55 PM

I'd bet dollars to donuts they are selling the data they recieve, although again... I see your point of so what, but I want to get paid for release data about me god damnit.  You wanna know what my cock looks like NSA you gotta pay, or well should have to pay.. free loaders.

the OP is not saying cryptsy sells details to government. but instead sends data about value being withdrawn to peopls emails. which can then be snooped upon by governments making copies of emails. (although chances of them reading the emails is less then 1 in a million)

Any legitimate Virtual Currency business operating in the US or serving US customer is required by BSA to provide specific info to Government and Law Enforcement.  

This is the entire basis for Know Your Customer (KYC) Anti-Money Laundering (AML) Laws and Regulations.

that applies to FIAT that is not in paper form but in virtual (digital form) please separate the words virtual currency, far away from crypto currency or digital credits etc.
only businesses that touch FIAT for the purpose of transmission, need to be registered for AMLKYC

even that is not helpful for those tin foil hat basement dwellers with enlarged ego's. after all government has a copy of every web page you ever viewed as they grab data via your ISP, even with proxies to stop middleman data sniffing, they grab it from source.

the simple rule is, if your not doing a massive crime, reading your data is a waste of government time.

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2014, 07:30:15 PM

So you're using your private email for cryptsy? You should always have one or two with fake details for these things.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 07:59:52 PM

LocalBitcoins does the same thing, except they do allow you to disable email notifications.

I've asked them for about six months to provide an option for receiving PGP encrypted emails, but so far they haven't added that feature.

We really should be demanding that option from all Bitcoin companies as a general principle.
spazzdla
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 08:04:25 PM

I am saying the gov is selling our data...  and I want to be paid for it.. fing criminal bastards.. our govs are so fing criminal it pains me when I think about it.
Beliathon

Activity: 784

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2014, 08:17:25 PM

Relax, the NSA and their ilk don't even need permission anymore. If they want to see your shit, they will see your shit.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
solid12345
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 08:26:06 PM

the simple rule is, if your not doing a massive crime, reading your data is a waste of government time.

It was a "waste of time" for the East Germans to collect data on every single citizen but they did it anyway in case you ran afoul of them. I don't get this belief that the way to keep government benevolent is to continue to give them more power, how anyone who believes in crypto and cannot see that point goes beyond me.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 08:38:53 PM

The government determines what a crime is. You might not be worried now because you aren't committing a crime, but by the stroke of a pen you could be.

Second, governments have no problem wasting time and money. That will never impede them. Think of all the time and money wasted on tracking all the phone calls made by people not doing massive crimes.

It is sad that people have to protect themselves from their own governments.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
solid12345
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 08:47:22 PM

The government determines what a crime is. You might not be worried now because you aren't committing a crime, but by the stroke of a pen you could be.

The SEC could have a field day with these forums if they decided to retroactively go after people for pumping and dumping crypto coins. I think the only thing that would save a lot of people here is many are under the age of 18  Grin
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: