Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 04:24:09 PM

even if CES won't have immediate effect on Bitcoin i think it is much more important for Bitcoin than some TV soap opera which nobody even heard of on here before their bitcoin episode announcement.
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 04:27:46 PM

imo CES wont bring many new users maybe just new developers for other products

Whatever effect it may have, up or down, isn't likely to surface for several days, maybe weeks.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2012, 04:28:35 PM

What is CES?

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
kjlimo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2012, 04:29:17 PM

And people have heard of "The Good Wife" if you watch tv...  It's on CBS.  Maybe you don't know any women?

Fold for spending BTCs

istar

Activity: 523
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 04:31:51 PM

And how many women will rush out to buy Bitcoins after the TV show? Not many...

Bitcoins - Because we should not pay to use our money
farfiman
Legendary

Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 04:43:11 PM

And how many women will rush out to buy Bitcoins after the TV show? Not many...

not many
and who said only women watch it...?

anyway its still about the buzz...  and seeing or hearing about it on TV has a ripple effect.

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 04:48:56 PM
Last edit: January 13, 2012, 10:00:05 PM by DeathAndTaxes

It's called mindshare people.

Bitpay is at CES.  Bitcoin is on TV.  Maybe next year there are 5 bitcoin related companies at CES.  A reporter runs a story on that.  In a year there might be 70 or 80 charities which accept donations so people who have never heard of Bitcoin are seeing it in more and more places.  Maybe a flash gaming site accepts Bitcoins for payments.  Hell one year maybe even farmville or those other worthless facebook games accepts it.  Someone sees a friend post something about it on their facebook wall.  Someone sees a bitcoin payment option on a adult services site.  A mag like wired runs a story on "Bitcoin: 5 years later".  It gets talked about at a TED conference.  etc.

None of these are calls to action BUT THEY BUILD MINDSHARE.

More and more people start hearing about it and start seeing it more and more.  They aren't looking for Bitcoin they just keep "running into it".  Bitcoin is "everywhere" little by little.  Slowly it pulls in your casual users.  They start seeing it as real and not some scam or pyramid scheme.

Mindshare is very important.  It is why companies do advertising that has no call to action, why the get football stadiums named after them, why they give away swag, why they pay athletes & celebrities to wear their logo, and why they pay stores extra to put their product in prime viewing areas (endcaps, etc).
Serge
Legendary

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 06:10:02 PM

The one hope I have for "The Good Wife" is that speculators who might not have heard of bitcoin see the show, google it, and happen to catch some charts.

For others, I don't see value. There isn't much infrastructure built over bitcoin yet.

- we have come a long way since last year's April.
NamelessOne
Legendary

Activity: 840

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 06:17:05 PM

The one hope I have for "The Good Wife" is that speculators who might not have heard of bitcoin see the show, google it, and happen to catch some charts.

For others, I don't see value. There isn't much infrastructure built over bitcoin yet.

I just don't think this will happen, I didn't watch Robocop and start searching for information on OCP so I could invest in it. Same with Terminator and Cyberdyne.  I didn't watch 24 and start looking up information on CTU. Unless they have a message at the end that states 'bitcoin is REAL go look it up and start using it' I think that vast majority of the audience will assume it is fiction technology on a fiction drama and never think twice about it.  I'm generally quite bullish too, and I still think this show is a very long shot for bringing people to bitcoin.
Serge
Legendary

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 06:25:32 PM
Last edit: January 12, 2012, 06:41:24 PM by Serge

until orders worth of millions of dollars can be fulfilled in either direction without causing heart attacks of many on the market don't expect large businesses entering bitcoin anytime soon.
on the other hand Bitcoin keeps on growing, little by little
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 06:55:59 PM

What is CES?

this is sarcasm... ... ...right?

Maybe he is an Amish Luddite .... Bitcoin miner. Smiley
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 07:19:25 PM

It's called mindshare people.

Bitpay is at CES.  Bitcoin is on TV.  Maybe next year there are 5 bitcoin related companies at CES.  A reporter runs a story on that.  In a year there might be 70 or 80 charities which accept donations so people who have never heard of Bitcoin are seeing it in more and more places.  Maybe a flash gaming site accepts Bitcoins for payments.  Hell one year maybe even farmville or those other worthless facebook games accepts it.  Someone sees a friend post something about it on their facebook wall.  Someone sees a bitcoin payment option on a adult services site.  A mag like wired runs a story on Bitcoin 5 years later.  It gets talked about at a TED conference.

None of these are calls to action BUT THEY BUILD MINDSHARE.

More and more people start hearing about it and start seeing it more and more.  They aren't looking for Bitcoin they just keep "running into it".  Bitcoins is "everywhere" little by little.  Slowly it pulls in your casual users.  They start seeing it as real and not some scam or pyramid scheme.

Mindshare is very important.  It is why companies do advertising that has no call to action, why the get football stadiums named after them, why they give away swag, why they pay athletes & celebrities to wear their logo,  and why they PAY STORES to put their product in prime viewing areas (endcaps, etc).

Very well said. +1

Steps forward, all of it.
kjlimo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2012, 07:35:40 PM

What is CES?

No, but a google search cleared it up pretty quick.  However, I couldn't find what CES stands for.  Just what CEA stands for...

Fold for spending BTCs

Mushoz

Activity: 686

Bitbuy

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2012, 07:38:50 PM

What is CES?

No, but a google search cleared it up pretty quick.  However, I couldn't find what CES stands for.  Just what CEA stands for...

Consumers Electronics Show

www.bitbuy.nl - Koop eenvoudig, snel en goedkoop bitcoins bij Bitbuy!
teflone

Activity: 770

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 09:38:28 PM

I just don't think this will happen, I didn't watch Robocop and start searching for information on OCP so I could invest in it. Same with Terminator and Cyberdyne.  I didn't watch 24 and start looking up information on CTU. Unless they have a message at the end that states 'bitcoin is REAL go look it up and start using it' I think that vast majority of the audience will assume it is fiction technology on a fiction drama and never think twice about it.  I'm generally quite bullish too, and I still think this show is a very long shot for bringing people to bitcoin.

Its funny reading your post, because your contradicting yourself..

You can recite the stupid technologies in the tv shows/movies, yet you cant see the benefit of the name bitcoin being recited on a popular tv show...Huh

When people run into what they thought was fictional, a beautiful things happens..  they are humbled, then they look into it further..

Death and taxes said it...  Its mindshare..

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
NamelessOne
Legendary

Activity: 840

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 01:47:36 AM

It is funny reading your post... you clearly didn't get my point... so perhaps I need to embellish it. In no way did I contradict myself. My point wasn't remembering the technology/company names, it essentially was the fact that nothing in this show will tell people bitcoin is actually real.  But in terms of mindshare and recalling the bitcoin name, the movies I mentioned were all pop culture super hits and I'm a big movie fan. The names I mentioned were central their plots and I know them to be fiction. The Good Wife is a second rate drama with modest to low ratings. Bitcoin and technology is not central to its overall plot, but rather one episode. And a single episode on a soon to be forgotten/cancelled show doesn't amount to much.

As I've already noted, most audience members are expecting a fictional drama about fictional characters. For most, the words "bitcoin" will enter and leave their minds all within the course of the 60 minutes running time of the show, just like every other piece of poorly executed computing or hacking technology they have seen on a million shows. For those that do happen to remember 'the bitcoin episode' it won't suddenly, inexplicably dawn on them that bitcoin is real. Viewers will expect it to be fiction just as I know those movies and their "stupid names" are fiction.

Very few audience members to do remember it will make the sudden, random jump to say "well this is a fiction show, and just like most fiction shows everything in it is fictional. And I've watched many fictional shows with computer related concepts in them and never thought twice, BUT THAT BITCOIN THING IS REAL! TIME TO GOOGLE IT!'

Down the road the viewers that recall this episode might start to realize 'the bitcoin episode' was based on reality after they see continued news media coverage, but they would have seen that news anyway. So unless there is bold text in the credits informing people 'YES BITCOIN IS ACTUALLY REAL!' I doubt this show will directly lead to significant growth that isn't already happening. I'm quite bullish but this is silly. Sure it is quite fun and entertaining to see bitcoin mentioned in TV show, but a reality show, Mythbusters/something, or continued news coverage would be far more beneficial.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2012, 02:47:44 AM

Has anyone watched this show before? Do they usually base episodes around real current event stuff or make it totally up?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2012, 03:15:32 AM

Has anyone watched this show before? Do they usually base episodes around real current event stuff or make it totally up?

i don't watch the good wife, but! the new mybitcoin show ... i mean the new the bitcoin show, talks about this good wife episode with one of the stars of the show... and they said that ya they do seem to try to cover real world events like Occupy wall street, and now bitcoin.

teflone

Activity: 770

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 03:48:25 AM

Fictional or not, this will be a motivating factor for quite a few people.

Im willing to believe to direct effect will not be immediately felt, but it WILL have a lasting effect..
Any fast response to the show is obvious pre-existing bitcoiners..

What are your thoughts of all the people that HAVE heard of bitcoin yet have little to nothing to do with it, then suddenly hear of it on a tv show, knowing it already exists and is not fiction, and not illegal for that matter ?

Personally I have been spamming my own facebook, and relevant pages, such as "The good wife", "Paypal Sucks", "Max Keiser Report"

I like to educate people to it. Yet dont get into details on how it works..

Its simply digital cash..

I use the term spamming loosely

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: