Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 03:51:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's trace Satoshi's 50 BTC  (Read 1677 times)
Taras (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1053

Please do not PM me loan requests!

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2014, 03:01:15 AM

Well, in my last article I wrote about the only bitcoins satoshi spent and where they wound up. Well, now I want to narrow that down further and answer the golden question:
Do you have any of satoshi's bitcoins?

Before we get off hand, we need to establish first the traceability of bitcoin.
Bitcoins as a number are traceable, but not exactly as a material.
Satoshis, the consensual named smallest division of a bitcoin, are analogous to atoms in a way that they cannot be divided further. However, we cannot trace individual satoshis back. See the figure below:

Say someone mines Block A and Block B, each worth 50 BTC. Then the miner concatenates the coins to one output of 100 BTC, possibly at a new address. If the miner was to split the coins up again into two 50 BTC outputs, you could look at one or the other but you couldn't tell me which block they came from; A or B. We know they came from one of those two blocks, but not which.
Let's say we could dye the bitcoins from Block A another color, like red, and we'll make the coins from Block B colored blue. We'll assume that when coins from each block are mixed, the dye is as well.

So, as we can see, the 100 BTC when split back up can neither be identified as red or blue, but instead purple, which is 50% of each. It's not that each output has 25 RED BTC and 25 BLUE BTC, but the coins themselves are all PURPLE BTC, down to the satoshi. If we took one satoshi out of one of the new 25 BTC outputs, it would not be from either Block A or Block B but both. The satoshi exists because of both blocks. In this case, 50% of each block.

Now, let's look at the REAL bitcoin block chain and trace satoshi's coins as far as we want.
We'll leave bitcoin outputs colored WHITE. Then we'll dye satoshi's bitcoins GREEN. We will define bitcoin royalty as how "green" the coins are.
Let's have a look. If you remember from my previous article, satoshi only spent the bitcoins from block 9, so we'll only be looking at those.

Above is the 50 BTC from block 9. We can see here the first transaction, where satoshi sent 10 BTC to Hal Finney as a test.
We'll look at those ten bitcoins more later. First though let's keep tracing the 40.

Now we see satoshi continued his spending spree, sending 10 BTC to an unknown individual and then 1 BTC to another. Those bitcoins are 100% royal (green), but have not been spent since 2009. Perhaps someday they will be, but for now they aren't going anywhere. Let's see where the next 29 BTC go.

This is where satoshi's spending ends. The remaining 18 BTC still belong to him. His last two expenditures have sent out a 1 BTC output and a 10 BTC output. Yes, they've been spent! Let's have a look at where they went.

Looks like the 10 & 1 BTC outputs belonged to the same person who mined block 360, because they went and mixed the three outputs together. 50 + 10 + 1 = 61 BTC, and that 61 BTC output is 18% royal. Like satoshi's 18 BTC output, This person's 61 BTC output remains unspent to this day. It's a $30,000 fortune asleep on a hard drive somewhere.

But we all want to know. How "royal" are MY bitcoins?

Well, every single royal output we've analyzed up to this point is left unspent. You know, except the one that was Hal Finney's 10 BTC received from Satoshi. Those 10 BTC account for all royal bitcoins in circulation today, so let's have a look at those.

Those ten bitcoins have quite the adventure. I'd go through the whole thing, but it's rather extensive. If you're really interested you can see my previous article: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=548508.0
However, I will take the liberty of cutting to the chase; That is to say, where the bitcoins are first mixed in with non-royal coins.
Eventually, all those ten coins arrive at these outputs:

1.69 BTC from Hal's ten are unspent today. However the remaining 8.31 BTC - across seven outputs - were mixed with non-royal coins!
We'll be looking at each of them separately. Let's start with the first spent one on the left.

This one was mixed in with a 0.01 BTC output. I've confirmed that this particular output was of 0% royalty by tracing it as far back as possible. It was painstaking and I'm probably going to get tendinitis, but the 0.01 BTC was a faucet dispense. In fact, the dispense was from Gavin Andresen's faucet, whose money came initially from mining.

Well, I could keep tracing this coin for a while, but it'll take some time. So, I hope you'll let me have that.

I will release another article in the future, including how to determine the royalty of your coins.
I think it'd be a pleasant surprise to learn your wallet holds some of satoshi's coins.

My previous articles:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=548508.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=516339.0

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
SlipperySlope

Activity: 686
Merit: 501

Stephen Reed

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 03:23:16 AM

This is so awesome.

Sort of like figuring the the number air molecules in a particular breath that were at one time exhaled by Napoleon.
pabpete

Activity: 539
Merit: 255

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 03:30:17 AM

Wow is all.
huckfinn

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 04:10:08 AM

So cool! Can't wait for the next one Grin
Taras (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2014, 05:04:50 AM

I thought I'd leave this here, in case anyone had the same question:
Hi,

I enjoyed your posting on Bitcointalk.

Could you please tell me what site to visit so I can view
Satoshi's bitcoin address?  Did he have more than 1?
And how can I tell how much was spent and how much
is left in his wallets?

Thank you,
Sally

Hello, Sally! Welcome to Bitcointalk!
Satoshi had many, many many addresses, but the only one he ever spent bitcoins from is below:
https://blockchain.info/address/12cbQLTFMXRnSzktFkuoG3eHoMeFtpTu3S

The royal bitcoins are here:
https://blockchain.info/tx/0437cd7f8525ceed2324359c2d0ba26006d92d856a9c20fa0241106ee5a597c9

It'd take a lot of time to go through all his wallets,
but satoshi is generally considered to have about BTC985,000. Of those, he only spent BTC32. Smiley

-Taras
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 07:58:39 AM

Very interesting to read, keep this kind of topics comming. Can't wait for the next one  Grin

I thought I'd leave this here, in case anyone had the same question:
Hi,

I enjoyed your posting on Bitcointalk.

Could you please tell me what site to visit so I can view
Satoshi's bitcoin address?  Did he have more than 1?
And how can I tell how much was spent and how much
is left in his wallets?

Thank you,
Sally

Hello, Sally! Welcome to [Suspicious link removed]atoshi had many, many many addresses, but the only one he ever spent bitcoins from is below:
https://blockchain.info/address/12cbQLTFMXRnSzktFkuoG3eHoMeFtpTu3S

The royal bitcoins are here:
https://blockchain.info/tx/0437cd7f8525ceed2324359c2d0ba26006d92d856a9c20fa0241106ee5a597c9

It'd take a lot of time to go through all his wallets,
but satoshi is generally considered to have about BTC985,000. Of those, he only spent BTC32. Smiley

-Taras

You say satoshi owns 985KBTC what wallet contains the largest balance? Or is it spreaded into wallets with each lets say 100BTC or so
digitalninja81

Activity: 91
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 08:07:16 AM

an excellent plan to find out if I have some Satoshi's bitcoins. Dude, you are so smart!
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 08:14:57 AM

You say satoshi owns 985KBTC what wallet contains the largest balance? Or is it spreaded into wallets with each lets say 100BTC or so

Like, majority of the coins mined in 2009 are satoshi. Each block goes to a different address. So there are thousands of blocks of 50 BTC that were mined in 2009 to 2010 and are unspent to this day.

That's a million bitcoins that will probably never be spent.

1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 08:33:41 AM

Like, majority of the coins mined in 2009 are satoshi. Each block goes to a different address. So there are thousands of blocks of 50 BTC that were mined in 2009 to 2010 and are unspent to this day.

That's a million bitcoins that will probably never be spent.

I wish I had the feeling of knowing that I have 985KBTC
rgm108

Activity: 274
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 09:57:27 AM

A very nice read.
Also answers a few questions someone new like me has in the back of their heads.

Thanks you so much. Looking forward to future articles Smiley

SPECTRE                ▄▄███▄▄
            ▄▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄▄
▄▄      ▄▄███▀▀ ▄▄███▄▄ ▀▀███▄▄      ▄▄
████▄▄  ▀▀▀ ▄▄███████████▄▄ ▀▀▀  ▄▄████
  ▀▀████▄    ▀▀█████████▀▀    ▄████▀▀
 ██▄▄ ▀██ █▄▄    ▀▀▀▀▀    ▄▄█ ██▀ ▄▄██
 ▀▀███ ██ █████▄       ▄█████ ██ ███▀▀
     ██ ███████▄   ▄███████ ██
       ██ ████████   ████████ ██
       ██▄▄ ▀▀████   ████▀▀ ▄▄██
        ▀▀███▄▄ ▀▀   ▀▀ ▄▄███▀▀
            ▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄███▀▀
                ▀▀███▀▀
            │
     │      ███
     │      ███
    │    ███
███  │    ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███     │
███ ███     │
    │

▬▬     WHITEPAPER    ▬▬
FACEBOOK     TELEGRAM
TWITTER     SLACK     MEDIUM
PRE-SALE.
PUBLIC SALE.
Taras (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2014, 05:18:48 PM

Thanks for the comments, guys Smiley Really means a lot!
madmadmax

Activity: 740
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 05:21:19 PM

Makes me curious on why wouldn't Satoshi send all those bitcoins to an address we know no one owns the private key for (for example bitcoineater) thereby speeding up the adoption rate.

▄▄▄▄▄               ▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄        ▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄██▀        ▀██▄    ▄██▀         ▀█▄
██▀            ▀██▄  ▀▀             ██
██               ▀██        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
██                ▀██▄      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
 ██▄          ▄██   ▀██▄          ▄▄▄
  ▀██▄      ▄██▀      ▀██▄▄     ▄██▀
    ▀▀██████▀▀          ▀▀██████▀▀

Unchained Smart Contracts
Decentralized Oracle
Infinitly Scalable
Blockchain Technology
Turing-Complete
State-Channels

▄████▄▄    ▄
██             ████████████▀
████▄         █████████████▀
▀████████▄▄   █████████████
▄▄█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
  ▀██████████████████████
   █████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████▀
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄███████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄██▄
     ▄      ▐████   ▄▄
   █████     ██████████
    █████████████████▀
 ▄████████████▀████▌
██████████     ▀████    
 ▀▀   █████     ██████████
      ▀████▌▄████████████▀
    ▄▄▄███████████████▌
   ██████████▀    ▐████
    ▀▀▀  ████▌     ▀▀▀
         ▀███▀
f

Taras (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2014, 05:32:06 PM

Makes me curious on why wouldn't Satoshi send all those bitcoins to an address we know no one owns the private key for (for example bitcoineater) thereby speeding up the adoption rate.
That would count as both the return of satoshi nakamoto and the destruction of 1/12 of all bitcoins. The media would take the opportunity to dis Bitcoin, meanwhile. I can't speak for satoshi, but I think the best thing for Bitcoin as a network would be for those coins to stay asleep. Not one of them would be spent; not for decades. BTC1,000,000 is a lot today and it'll be a lot in 2009 and 2140.
mitzie
Legendary

Activity: 975
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 05:39:47 PM

Great work taras!

Could you tell up to which block are satoshi's inactive coins?
Taras (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2014, 05:46:38 PM

Great work taras!

Could you tell up to which block are satoshi's inactive coins?
Well, satoshi wasn't the only one mining, so we'd have to separate satoshi's blocks from everyone else's.
We do that in these threads:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=175996.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=507458.0
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: