Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 08:46:29 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What's everyone's bitcoin story?  (Read 2103 times)
pabpete (OP)

Activity: 539
Merit: 255

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 03:21:47 AM
Last edit: April 25, 2014, 04:00:05 AM by pabpete

I'm interested in reading where you first heard of bitcoin? How did you get your first bitcoin and what was the price at that time ? And what's been your best experience dealing with this new experiment in currency?

Personally I heard about bitcoin only right after the huge price spike that caused bitcoin to shoot to fame last December. My first part of a bitcoin was obtained on an affiliate website for looking at advertisers and I've been hooked ever since. And my best experience thus far (less than a half a year ) was winning 20 ghs on a cloud hashing site the other day for Easter ! Look forward to hearing any stories of triumph or success Wink and my outlook on bitcoin is nothing but positive.I hope to start a charity one day funded by btc exclusively.

Ps. Am I the only one that looks at decimal points now and converts it to fiat in my head? Rofl.
Rinndaranaur

Activity: 266
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2014, 07:47:56 AM

I have a non-trivial story. One year ago I saw a sign "Bitcoin are accepted here" with BTC logo. I wondered what it is. Now I'm incredibly passionate about all of this.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 07:53:24 AM

Max Keiser mentioned it once and I had no clue what it was, so I investigated and here I am.

blacksails

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 08:06:38 AM

I read about it on another forum in 2011 I think. Didn't investigate it more back then, rediscovered it in 2012 and started following it, and well, here I am. Didn't sign up for this forum until 2013 though! Tongue
softron

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 12:32:42 PM

I found btc around 2011/12 while looking for a way to spend my stuck STP, then it was at $5 a bitcoin. I now wish i bought back then

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2014, 12:45:54 PM

It was pretty simple. I was BTC being accepted on some website in '10. Three years later I randomly found a link to this forum and here I am.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
gagalady
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 12:54:31 PM

Well, how i found about bitcoin? I just saw bitcoin name first time when a guy was buying bitcoins for my local currency then I googled It. It caught my eyed and i started research more information about It and now I'm here using Bitcoin and investing in them  Smiley
Beliathon

Activity: 784

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2014, 01:21:32 PM

I don't like violence, coercion, and exploitation. Therefore I do not like nation-states, and their clown-ass currencies.

I do like mathematics and tremendously elegant, simple solutions to problems. Thus, I like cryptocurrency; I like Bitcoin.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Bitcoin Magazine

Activity: 252

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 01:24:45 PM

i saw this article about buying drugs online back in late 2011.  didn't check it out because i wasn't using drugs back then.  went there a year later and then discovered the whole bitcoin concept.  of course i had checked it back when Bitcoin first came out.  but didn't spend more than a day thinking about it.  and really forgot all about it until i checked Silk Road again

i am here.
Beliathon

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2014, 01:28:44 PM

...and really forgot all about it until i checked Silk Road again
A friend was telling me that the success of the Silk Road was driven primarily by the perceived relative safety and trust of getting drugs from there instead of getting them in person.

It's funny, the war on drugs pushes people off the streets and onto the net (and into crypto), and then the FBI, via the war on drugs, shuts down the silk road and seizes millions of dollars in profits for themselves.

What a coincidence. One could even argue that the whole situation was rather convenient for the FBI. But hey, I'm no conspiracy theorist, I just call it like I see it.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
nkocevar

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 02:38:21 PM

I started mining with my GPU in late 2011, early 2012... Was making about .5 BTC a day, which wasnt worth much back then... Then got bored with it and still had the BTCs on my computer... Wiped the hard drive on my computer losing all the bitcoins... Then got back into bitcoins in late 2012 early 2013... been here through the mining craze and such.

pabpete (OP)

Activity: 539
Merit: 255

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 02:48:30 PM

I started mining with my GPU in late 2011, early 2012... Was making about .5 BTC a day, which wasnt worth much back then... Then got bored with it and still had the BTCs on my computer... Wiped the hard drive on my computer losing all the bitcoins... Then got back into bitcoins in late 2012 early 2013... been here through the mining craze and such.

Ouch. Haha /kickself. Who really knew though ? I'd love to hear from somebody who believed in it from day one and now has enough capital to start their own buisness / retire Cheesy
Manfred Macx

Activity: 205
Merit: 105

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2014, 05:48:31 PM

I can't remember when I first heard about bitcoin, but I started paying attention ot it in August last year. I think it was because of Jeffrey Tucker's video. Bitcoin was $90 then but I didn't buy. I started buying in January this year when it was ~$800 Cheesy I also started reading about the technical side of bitcoin and am still doing it. Best thing about bitcoin was discovering other people who are interested in it (I'm in SE Europe) and particpating in my first bitcoin meetup April 1st.

nkocevar

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 02:06:25 PM

Ouch. Haha /kickself. Who really knew though ? I'd love to hear from somebody who believed in it from day one and now has enough capital to start their own buisness / retire Cheesy

Had I not been a dumbass, I would have ~25 BTC right now... If I can pick one mistake where I could go back in time and correct it, I would choose not to have wiped my hard drive.

tinus42

Merit: 501

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 02:24:16 PM

I bought my first Bitcoin in January 2013 for 14 euro after hearing about it somewhere. Then I forgot about it for a while. Come March we got the banking crisis in Cyprus and I got hooked on Bitcoin. I lost some Bitcoins through bad investments but the average price I bought them for is more than 4 times as high as the price Bitcoin recently "crashed" through following the Mt.Gox debacle and the China uncertainty. So I'm still ahead. Smiley
bitgeek

Activity: 462
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 03:34:57 PM

My friend told me about it, so I bought 10BTC (it was ~$100 at that time). I never really invested a lot in BTC, because I didn't have much fiat, but I enjoy reading about it and watching this amazing technology grow.

███████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████

Online.BTC.Bingo

.*500%.CASH.BACK.+.INSTANT.BONUS
..PROGRESSIVE.JACKPOT
..NO-DOWNLOAD.CLIENT

EPIC.FUN.
chiguireitor
Legendary

Activity: 872
Merit: 1010

Coins, Games & Miners

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2014, 04:09:22 PM

Began mining on 2010... wife said 'too much electricity' and i stopped mining.... made like 0.08 BTC in two days with two lousy PCs....  Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed

eternalgloom
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2014, 05:40:05 PM

I heard about Bitcoin from a friend of mine Len Sassaman, a cryptographer. 
This was back in 2011, I believe.

After he passed away he was memorialized in the blockchain, you can check it out in this topic:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=33618.msg420597#msg420597

bitconnect

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 06:59:06 PM

I heard about Bitcoin from a friend of mine Len Sassaman, a cryptographer. 
This was back in 2011, I believe.

After he passed away he was memorialized in the blockchain, you can check it out in this topic:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=33618.msg420597#msg420597

Sorry about your loss but his knowledge he gave about cryptography and bitcoin you can hopefully help spread more good.

I use to hear about bitcoin thrown up on forums and just read comments about how great it is around 2011 but I didn't look into until my friend started buying some at around 12 bucks. But it wasn't for big investments or anything, so time went on and summer of 2013 a group of us friends decided it would be the right time to start mining but last minute we backed out and we seen the difficulty levels just start to rise and decided to just help other people get it by spreading ATM-like machines.
waldox

Activity: 252

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2014, 12:48:15 AM

i started by mining in the gpu days till the end of 2012?  when spring came in 2013 it became unprofitable
i gambled  it all away a couple months ago
now im buying and holding long term as much as i can
im looking at least 5-10 year horizon and i will reconsider at that time.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   * Dental Hygiene Cleaning in Toronto & Mississauga accepts Bitcoin  * Downtown Toronto Real Estate Realtor Blog & News * Toronto House Evaluation * Toronto Dental Cleaning Hygiene Centre
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: