Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 07:57:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin: The Simplest Non-technical Explanation  (Read 1672 times)
mrb (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2012, 06:22:00 AM

I have been part of the Bitcoin community for more than a year, and I still think there is no decent article introducing Bitcoin in a non-technical way while presenting its numerous technical advantages... So I wrote one, based on cypherdoc's "digital gold" analogy:

http://blog.zorinaq.com/?e=66

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 06:32:45 AM

Kudos. Also, see Casascius' attempt here - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=52405.0

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 06:22:28 PM

I have been part of the Bitcoin community for more than a year, and I still think there is no decent article introducing Bitcoin in a non-technical way while presenting its numerous technical advantages... So I wrote one, based on cypherdoc's "digital gold" analogy:

thanks for the recognition.
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 06:33:34 PM

Not a bad article at all. It will still go over grandma's head, but I think it will resonate with a huge spectrum of the non-technical readers out there. Well done.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 06:37:58 PM

I can't find a link but I like the blog which compared Bitcoin to Rai stones.

The reason is it helps to explain how Bitcoin works without getting into the technical "weeds".  

The reality is you NEVER send Bitcoins anywhere and you NEVER have them either.  The Bitcoins never "move" (much like Rai stones).  The block chain simply records changes in ownership.  The Rai stones never moved either.  By consensus people changed ownership of the stones.  Whatever the consensus of locals determines was the owner, was the owner.

Your wallet simply is a mechanism to prove ownership of coins and allows you to change ownership of coins you currently own.   The block chain is merely a historical record of ownership changes.  The network of miners is a fair method to determine consensus in a dispute (double spend).

Kinda interesting that Bitcoin is a new digital incarnation of a very old form of currency.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 06:38:10 PM

actually i do think Bitcoin as a concept has tangible backing; by the Bitcoin network itself.

the Bitcoin network consists of all the people, fiat currency, and time that has been invested into the hardware, software, electricity, and innovation that comprises the network. 

the Bitcoin network is also backed by the Internet itself; its openness and indestructibility which allows the free flow of information.
plogank

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 08:11:16 PM

I posted a link to your article on Google +.

If you like this post a donation would be nice....  1PhCzA9o1jcwHr7PR4mxea8nJYUJWpKAGb

Besides, It'll drive me crazy trying to figure where it came from.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: