Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 02:34:21 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Exporting one private key only?  (Read 539 times)
CryptoPanda (OP)

Activity: 882
Merit: 302

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 03:03:19 PM

What if we want to export private key that's from the default deterministic ones. (it has NOT been imported but generated by armory)
do we have a way to do that, so it's not generated again and spent?

If it's hard to understand here is the case.
I received bitcoin on top of which was mastercoin based coin. So I want to make sure it doesn't spend from that private key when I'm using the rest of the "clean" bitcoins in that wallet.
etotheipi
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2014, 03:25:10 PM

Ugh.  Armory doesn't really have a way to do this.  In essence, you have a colored coin, and Armory is not aware of the meaning of the colors.  It treats all coins the same.  It sounds like you're looking to delete or remove the address, not "export" it.   Armory doesn't have a way to do this with deterministic addresses.  Nor does it have a way to lock addresses or coins.

My recommendation is that you create a new wallet and move all the non-colored coins to it.  Make sure you are in expert mode, and use coincontrol to select all coins except the colored ones.  Press "MAX" button to indicate you are moving all coins currently selected in coin-control.  Use the address book to send them to the new wallet.

There's no other way (currently) to tell Armory to treat some coins different than others.

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
CryptoPanda (OP)

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 03:28:57 PM

Thank you for the super fast and helpful answer! Smiley
At least we have a solution! That's great.
I was thinking, would it be easier to just copy the private key of the colored one and import it in mastercoin supporting web wallet, and spend it there to another address i control.

Then the copy in armory will be unusable, right?

If I spend something from this wallet right now I guess there is big chance it will spend the colored coin, right?
etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2014, 03:35:58 PM

Thank you for the super fast and helpful answer! Smiley
At least we have a solution! That's great.
I was thinking, would it be easier to just copy the private key of the colored one and import it in mastercoin supporting web wallet, and spend it there to another address i control.

Then the copy in armory will be unusable, right?

If I spend something from this wallet right now I guess there is big chance it will spend the colored coin, right?

Technically you could request payments to that address in Armory, but you'd have to explicitly ask it to.  Otherwise it will always use the next address in the chain and ignore old ones for receiving.  Spending, however, will happen.  If you keep receiving colored coins to that address, Armory will keep adding them to the pool for spending.  The only way to leave them untouched but use your other coins is to simply switch to a new wallet and move all those coins there.  Then you can treat the original wallet as a kind of mastercoin watch-only wallet (technically you can spend them, but it sounds like you won't be)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2014, 03:37:44 PM

I forgot to mention, that you can use coincontrol to spend regularly from the wallet without risk of spending those coins.  But you have to be diligent and remember to always use coin-control with every transaction.  The first time you forget, those coins will like be spent (the older they get and the more tx you execute, the more likely they'll be used in the next tx).  That's why I recommend the new wallet -- you do it once and don't have to worry about it again.

CryptoPanda (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 07:53:45 AM

Really, really helpful, Thank You! Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: