Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 06:07:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Which PoS approach will win out?
Peer-coin (Hybrid Pow/PoS mining)
Nxt (Transparent forging)
Bitshares (DPoS)

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Which Proof of Stake System is the Most Viable  (Read 25725 times)
bitcoinboy163

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 01:33:55 PM

Nxt is so terrible at it's distribution, the ppc way is the most fair distribution model at this moment.
gobpaul

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

Invest & Earn: https://cloudthink.io

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 02:30:44 PM

Nxt is so terrible at it's distribution, the ppc way is the most fair distribution model at this moment.

I dont have ppc so tell how it is fair distribution when you dont have resources to mine it but get in exchange of money!!!?Huh

Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 04:28:16 PM

which model car has the roundest wheels ?

FUD first & ask questions later™
FandangledGizmo
Legendary

Activity: 1138
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 04:54:41 PM

which model car has the roundest wheels ?

I see what you're saying, 'they all get you there'

but personally the car that has the lowest fuel consumption (cost), is fastest (confirmation speed), has the best safety features (Security) and looks as well as rides the nicest (user friendly) are all features that may go into my decision of buying a car. (As well as anticipating what car others will want to buy in future.)

Plus some cars aren't allowed on certain roads, so the one that's let me access the most places, will probably be important too.
TeseracT

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 05:40:40 PM

I dont want to fight about whose coin is better, that is not the topic. Talking technology, NXT system is best. NEM promises POI system, who supposedly should work better , but Im not sure if it still counts as POS. But you need to hold some coins + use it.

ICONOMI - Fund Management Platform  ❘|❘ ICO ❘|❘ DISCUSSION
valarmg

Activity: 237
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 06:33:53 PM

Interestingly, Blackcoin which is based on the Peercoin PoS system decided to improve their PoS algorithm to remove some flaws (http://www.blackcoin.co/blackcoin-pos-protocol-v2-whitepaper.pdf). Their system now seems similar to Nxt (or will do once they hardfork and switch).
ChuckOne

Activity: 364

☕ NXT-4BTE-8Y4K-CDS2-6TB82

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 06:42:04 PM

Interestingly, Blackcoin which is based on the Peercoin PoS system decided to improve their PoS algorithm to remove some flaws (http://www.blackcoin.co/blackcoin-pos-protocol-v2-whitepaper.pdf). Their system now seems similar to Nxt (or will do once they hardfork and switch).

Lol? Peercoin - Flaws = Nxt <<< sweet

Why would I NOW switch to Blackcoin when Nxt is going to have privacy? I would say I can stick to Nxt even longer.
clout (OP)

Activity: 207

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 09:48:38 PM

Why would I NOW switch to Blackcoin when Nxt is going to have privacy? I would say I can stick to Nxt even longer.

here is a comparison of nxt and bitshares:

http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/Why_choose_Bitshares%3F#Comparison_of_BitShares_and_Other_Platforms
ChuckOne

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 09:52:27 PM

Cool. Thanks. Smiley

There are some wrong facts in there. Who is the guy I can talk to in order to have them corrected?
clout (OP)

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 10:56:08 PM

Cool. Thanks. Smiley

There are some wrong facts in there. Who is the guy I can talk to in order to have them corrected?

I am actively editing the wiki. I am pretty sure those facts are correct.
CLains

Activity: 256

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 02:31:55 AM

here is a comparison of nxt and bitshares:

http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/Why_choose_Bitshares%3F#Comparison_of_BitShares_and_Other_Platforms

If DPOS works it seems to be the answer to the topic question.
valarmg

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 08:18:25 AM

Cool. Thanks. Smiley

720 block confirmation times for Nxt. Where did you get that from?
clout (OP)

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 08:39:48 AM

Cool. Thanks. Smiley

http://wiki.nxtcrypto.org/wiki/How_Tx_Processing_Works#Transaction_Confirmations

technically speaking 720 blocks isn't actually the comparable confirmation time. 1440 blocks makes a transaction immutable
with bitshares when there is a delegate participation rate over 80% only 1 block confirmation is needed. worst case scenario given poor delegate participation 51 block confirmations would be need.
valarmg

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 09:32:21 AM

Cool. Thanks. Smiley

http://wiki.nxtcrypto.org/wiki/How_Tx_Processing_Works#Transaction_Confirmations

technically speaking 720 blocks isn't actually the comparable confirmation time. 1440 blocks makes a transaction immutable
with bitshares when there is a delegate participation rate over 80% only 1 block confirmation is needed. worst case scenario given poor delegate participation 51 block confirmations would be need.

"Nxt transactions are deemed reliable after 10 confirmations."

That's the equivalent of 6 confirmations for bitcoin.

You give the worst case for Nxt and the best case for bitshares and claim that it's a valid comparison.
ChuckOne

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 09:40:36 AM

Oh cool. Let me explain:

Not sure what "confirmation time" here means, but 6 blocks of Bitcoin are a recommendation like 10 blocks is for Nxt. Maybe, the semantics of "confirmation time" is not what I think it is.

After careful consideration, Nxt also use that what you call DPoS. We have also delegates. However, we call it different. I think it would be better to have TF (Transparent Forging) in there. It is the official term for consensus finding in Nxt.
I am not sure if this row is used for concrete implementations or for classes of consensus mechanisms. E.g. DPoS is the name of the concrete name of the consensus mechanism in BitShares whereas PoW and PoS however are classes of algorithms. I would be glad if you could harmonize this row.

Maybe, two rows would be helpful for users:

Consensus Base: PoS/PoW
Consensus Mechanism: DPoS, TF, Consensus, Scrypt
ChuckOne

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 09:44:08 AM

You give the worst case for Nxt and the best case for bitshares and claim that it's a valid comparison.

This is the Wiki of BitShares. What do you expect? Wink They of course need to put their product into the right light. There is nothing wrong with that.

However, I agree that some cells need amendment. It is a Wiki and should therefore be honest as possible. But there is nothing tragic here. Smiley
ChuckOne

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 09:48:46 AM

@clout

Something more: in the next major feature release, Nxt will have anonymous transactions and dividend. Not sure what pegging means but Monetary System seems like this. This will be in the next major feature release, too.

Just to keep you up to date. Smiley
devphp

Activity: 336

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 09:51:55 AM

This is the Wiki of BitShares. What do you expect? Wink They of course need to put their product into the right light. There is nothing wrong with that.

...claiming here, that the wiki gives the worst possible scenario for BitShares and best possible for others, while it's vice versa Smiley

if the comparison chart assumes anything at all it assumes the worst possible scenario for bitshares and the best possible scenario for competitors. everything in the bitshares column aside from market pegged assets has been tested on public test network.
clout (OP)

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 10:04:50 AM

Oh cool. Let me explain:

Not sure what "confirmation time" here means, but 6 blocks of Bitcoin are a recommendation like 10 blocks is for Nxt. Maybe, the semantics of "confirmation time" is not what I think it is.

After careful consideration, Nxt also use that what you call DPoS. We have also delegates. However, we call it different. I think it would be better to have TF (Transparent Forging) in there. It is the official term for consensus finding in Nxt.
I am not sure if this row is used for concrete implementations or for classes of consensus mechanisms. E.g. DPoS is the name of the concrete name of the consensus mechanism in BitShares whereas PoW and PoS however are classes of algorithms. I would be glad if you could harmonize this row.

Maybe, two rows would be helpful for users:

Consensus Base: PoS/PoW
Consensus Mechanism: DPoS, TF, Consensus, Scrypt

can you provide a source for the 10 blocks confirmation time for nxt being comparable for 6 blocks for btc. as i know, 6 blocks is immutable for bitcoin and the wiki says that 1440 blocks is immutable for nxt. what is deemed as "acceptable" for btc is 1 to 3 blocks. I was under the impression that 10 blocks was more like 1 block for bitcoin. when i use bter i think it takes 20 confirmations to go through so i would assume 10 blocks for nxt is not comparable to 6 blocks for bitcoin. i understand that this will change with TF and new release. I will use your suggestion of splitting consensus into base and mechanism. thanks for the information!
valarmg

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 10:18:51 AM

can you provide a source for the 10 blocks confirmation time for nxt being comparable for 6 blocks for btc. as i know, 6 blocks is immutable for bitcoin and the wiki says that 1440 blocks is immutable for nxt. what is deemed as "acceptable" for btc is 1 to 3 blocks. I was under the impression that 10 blocks was more like 1 block for bitcoin. when i use bter i think it takes 20 confirmations to go through so i would assume 10 blocks for nxt is not comparable to 6 blocks for bitcoin. i understand that this will change with TF and new release. I will use your suggestion of splitting consensus into base and mechanism. thanks for the information!

6 blocks isn't immutable for bitcoin. It's just a recommendation, because with each block it becomes mathematically harder for a fork to catch up. If you want it to be truly immutable for bitcoin, you would have to go back to the last place a checkpoint was manually hardcoded in.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: