Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:27:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Curved glass on cell phones  (Read 1362 times)
Singlebyte (OP)

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 11:04:35 PM
Last edit: April 26, 2014, 07:54:01 PM by Singlebyte

The link below shows a rendering of the rumored new iPhone 6 coming out soon.  Some are speculating it will include a curved display.  Samsung is also rumored to be preparing a curved galaxy s phone in their next generation.  I like the the looks of the device and the extra screen space it provides.  One drawback may be the way cases/bumpers fit.  Opinions?

http://www.martinhajek.com/iphone-6-with-a-twist-ehm-curve/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
GigaCoin

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

Giga

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 03:49:30 AM

I've tried the LG Flex which is the first phone curved glass display ever made and I was very dissapointed. It felt more like a gimmick than anything else. Apparently its supposed to Improve on day light viewing but negligible for the most part.

It was also uncomfortable to hold.

Atleast for now its gimmicky to me, unless they start utilizing it better.

Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 3050

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2014, 06:25:03 AM

I've tried the LG Flex which is the first phone curved glass display ever made and I was very dissapointed. It felt more like a gimmick than anything else. Apparently its supposed to Improve on day light viewing but negligible for the most part.

It was also uncomfortable to hold.

Atleast for now its gimmicky to me, unless they start utilizing it better.

It is just a gimmick.  They tilted a bit as the glass was hardening... big whoop.  Just an excuse to pay for new cases.

I'm waiting for the bendable glass.  That will be something to "hold".

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
counter

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 07:22:15 AM

Sounds interesting but I also wonder how much of a gimmick it will be vs being a useful upgrade from older models out these days.  It reminds me of the new curved tv that I saw selling for like $70,000
Reuben

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 01:48:44 PM

I doubt it'll be on the new iphone. It'll probably be just like the last.
sana8410

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 02:45:50 PM

Of the mock-up, edge to edge looks fantastic, the screen covereing almost the entire front really looks good. Don't want a phone with a screen that curves like that though.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
kuroman

Activity: 588
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 04:12:32 PM

it's not curved glass, it's flexible (plastic) screens, Curved glass existed for a while now on smartphones (example Nexus S) the angle is small tho and doesn't allow the edge curvature, but flexible screen do, just check out LG, Sony and Samsung demo product, you'll see the same thing, that video was inspired from a samsung product

CrazyBit

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 04:27:34 PM

I don't see curved glass or plastic changing my opinion on a phone. It's all about the specs to me.
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 04:30:05 PM

I don't see curved glass or plastic changing my opinion on a phone. It's all about the specs to me.
So get a laptop with a cell connection *eyeroll*
The point of flexible screens is so that you can make the device smaller, by having a retractable/extendable display that doesn't take up half the phone
Same performance, smaller device, but the screen doesn't get smaller

Baby steps people

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
noviapriani

Activity: 350

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 07:36:59 PM

I can't really say how I feel about a curved display. Other than the wow factor, I'd say it doesn't matter

Singlebyte (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 08:04:50 PM

I like the "curve around the edge" styling.

http://www.spyghana.com/unveiled-new-samsung-curved-screen-phone-launched/

But the phones with curved displays are a little overkill.

acs267

Activity: 644

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 08:37:57 PM

I don't get what's so special about curved glass. Shouldn't it depend on the phone, and it's specs? I mean, as long as it's not a crappy flip phone with low reception, and is a touchscreen, I'm okay with it.
Mrrr

Activity: 617
Merit: 528

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 08:58:00 PM

My boss had his Iphone 5 imported from Germany. Next day he lost it somewhere. I hear a funny sound when driving around the 3 ton forklift. I gave it back:"Its a Samsung Curve now".

burp...
kuroman

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 09:26:36 PM

My boss had his Iphone 5 imported from Germany. Next day he lost it somewhere. I hear a funny sound when driving around the 3 ton forklift. I gave it back:"Its a Samsung Curve now".

lol actually the Flexible screen would have survived that at least the screen while the rest of the phone would have been smashed, as for the iphone i'm pretty sure it scattred( is that the correct word?) like a thin glass being hit with a pointy object
Mrrr

Activity: 617
Merit: 528

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 10:08:07 PM

lol actually the Flexible screen would have survived that at least the screen while the rest of the phone would have been smashed, as for the iphone i'm pretty sure it scattred( is that the correct word?) like a thin glass being hit with a pointy object

It was perfect. Iphone 5 in a banana shape.

burp...
Singlebyte (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 10:32:49 PM

Here is a short YouTube video showing some of the flexible screens in action and their potential.

http://youtu.be/sJehexDPEsE
jbrnt

Activity: 672

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 10:56:17 PM

Here is a short YouTube video showing some of the flexible screens in action and their potential.
http://youtu.be/sJehexDPEsE

These are amazing! First time I see them in action. I like the "round the edge" touch display. The thing I want most is a 5 inch display phone fold out to a 8 inch tablet. That will be cool.
zolace

Activity: 364

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 09:07:50 AM

Curved display is worse than a regular display.the curved has no sense, when u will put it on the table it will move⬅️➡️. It will only have 1 thing good ,it will fit in your hand great.

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
kuroman

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 08:08:19 PM

Curved display is worse than a regular display.the curved has no sense, when u will put it on the table it will move⬅️➡️. It will only have 1 thing good ,it will fit in your hand great.

The curve can make sense and be pretty usefull, example look at the Samsung fit, these curved display will change how we use other products and our smartphone eventually, the thing is to theing about usefull ideas for them not just put them for the sake of putting them as they did witht he first generation
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: