Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 05:09:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [BMR] Merged mining in BitMonero (proposal)  (Read 5179 times)
thankful_for_today (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 11:51:23 PM
Last edit: April 26, 2014, 12:32:28 AM by thankful_for_today

Hello!

BitMonero is a new CryptoNote-based currency we have started a week ago. In this post I'll explain what is a merged mining and why I consider it as a good feature.

Merged mining is the way to use hashpower from one blockchain in several other blockchain. MM happens between two blockchains:

- a "donor" blockchain knows nothing about MM
- a "merge mining" blockchain is able to accept PoW from "donor" blockchain. Several "merge mining" blockchain can use work from "donor" blockchain at the same time (on same mining machine).

Main facts about merged mining

1. From the network's point of view MM saves energy because we use same work for several blockchains.

2. From miner's point of view MM gives additional coins to miners.

3. MM increase hashpower of all chains involved because some miners will switch from one-chain mining to MM.

Merged mining algorithm

Let's suppose we have a "donor" blockchain AAA and two "merged mining" blockchains XXX and ZZZ. As it is stated above AAA doesn't know anything about merged mining. XXX and ZZZ have to support it explicitely. Non-merged miner will mine each chain separately. Merged miners will do following actions:

1. Create block templates for XXX and ZZZ: blkXXX and blkZZZ
2. Create block template for AAA that includes references to blkXXX and blkZZZ. References are stored in coinbases because there is no suitable location in block header.
3. Mine block blkAAA:
3.1 Calculate hash for blkAAA (we don't need to calculate hash directly for "merged mining" chains as soon as they can accept PoW from "donor")
3.2 Compare hash with difficulty for AAA, XXX and ZZZ.
3.3 Submit block to corresponding network if difficulty is sufficient
3.4 Go to 3.1

Miners are free to choose any "donor" blockchain and any set of "merged mining" chains they want to support. A number of mining configurations is possible:

1. One chain mining

2. One "donor" + one "merged mining"

3. One "donor" + several "merged mining"

4. Fake "donor" + several "merged mining"

The number of "merged mining" chains miner can support at the same time isn't limited directly. As soon as at least one difficilty target is met miner can send a block to corresponing network. But there is always only one "donor" chain at the same time: each miner has to choose his own "donor" chain or use fake "donor" for mining. Fake donor means that you really don't mine any "donor" chain but only mine several "merged mining" chains together. Configuration with two donor chains isn't possible.

"Donor" chain can have more or less hashpower than "merged mining". Relative hashrate isn't important for merged mining: "donor" chain can have less hashrate that "merged mining" one. "Merged mining" network accumulates hashrate from both "donor" chain and from all other "merged mining" chains with same PoW. "Donor" chain can't use PoW from other networks directly.

Bytecoin and BitMonero merged mining

In out case BCN is a "donor" blockchain. No code changes will be implemented in BCN.

BMR can be a "merged mining" chain. In case it will accept PoW from BCN or from any other "donor" or "merged mining" blockchain with CryptoNight PoW.

In case of merged mining available each miner can choose

- to use or not to use "donor" chain
- the specfific "donor" chain to use
- the number or "merged mining" chains to support

This way nobody will loose from merged mining with such an implementation.

Action plan

Merged mining needs a hardfork: all users are to update their damons. We can't do such changes ourselves. We are asking miners to state their opinions. How to express your opinion:

- if you don't want "merged mining" in BitMonero you don't have to do anything
- if you want "merged mining" in Bitmonero you have to update yout mining daemon now. New mining daemon will issue blocks with an incremented minor_version field. In case > 75% of blocks mined will have an incremented minor_version we will accept "merged minng" and new code will be published on git.

Calculations will be perfromed on 29 April. 750 blocks with incremented minor_version from last 1000 are required to switch for merged mining.

Here is a "voting for merged mining" daemon for Windows:
https://mega.co.nz/#!ogxTXIBJ!GeAuLXWLM-YAF41ylfn2w14ZTUovRehicrevIIAph9Q

For Linux you need to build it yourself.

Vote for BitMonero on Comkort exchange: https://comkort.com/vote
BTC: 1F1Ryrc2gvJQsVNTS5xvCxKugMjvbFRzX4
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
the_darkness

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 01:26:13 AM

For what it's worth I really don't think Monero needs merged mining and strongly discourage others from following through with this. Monero can stand on its own as the first freely-distributed Cryptonote currency and doesn't need to be tied to Bytecoin, which is more than 80% mined already. Why bother affiliating with another coin when Monero has already seen huge increases in hash in only one week of mining? If a botnet hadn't jumped on Bytecoin Monero was already on track to surpass its net hash.
BitRock

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 01:28:42 AM

For what it's worth I really don't think Monero needs merged mining and strongly discourage others from following through with this. Monero can stand on its own as the first freely-distributed Cryptonote currency and doesn't need to be tied to Bytecoin, which is more than 80% mined already. Why bother affiliating with another coin when Monero has already seen huge increases in hash in only one week of mining? If a botnet hadn't jumped on Bytecoin Monero was already on track to surpass its net hash.
+1
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 02:38:15 AM

- if you want "merged mining" in Bitmonero you have to update yout mining daemon now. New mining daemon will issue blocks with an incremented minor_version field. In case > 75% of blocks mined will have an incremented minor_version we will accept "merged minng" and new code will be published on git.

Please make sure that the "updated" version requires the miner to actually take some action to vote (such as a config option). Having people who simply download and use the latest version automatically and invisibly vote in favor by default makes this concept of voting into a sham.

As I have said on other threads, the idea that you can merge mine or not at your choice and no one loses from having merge mining implemented if they don't want to do it is false. The difficulties will adjust so that those who don't merge mine will get less and everyone is forced to mine both chains to compete.

It is also a myth that it reduces energy usage. People mining one or the other will just mine both, energy usage remains the same. It also does not give additional coins. Again more miners on both chains means the difficulty goes up. Coins awarded remains the same.

I'm very disappointed that TFT is using false arguments like energy savings or more coins to advance this agenda.
GreekBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

getmonero.org

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2014, 02:40:45 AM

I also dont want merge mining with bytecoin. I think its better for monero to stay away from 80% premined bytecoin.
tifozi

Activity: 742
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 02:43:41 AM

I also dont want merge mining with bytecoin. I think its better for monero to stay away from 80% premined bytecoin.

Ditto
thankful_for_today (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 06:50:24 AM

Please make sure that the "updated" version requires the miner to actually take some action to vote (such as a config option). Having people who simply download and use the latest version automatically and invisibly vote in favor by default makes this concept of voting into a sham.

Ok. That's right. I will fix this before making any calculations.

Vote for BitMonero on Comkort exchange: https://comkort.com/vote
BTC: 1F1Ryrc2gvJQsVNTS5xvCxKugMjvbFRzX4
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 07:30:05 AM

Ok. That's right. I will fix this before making any calculations.

Thank you.
Rias

Activity: 373
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 11:12:24 AM

As I have said on other threads, the idea that you can merge mine or not at your choice and no one loses from having merge mining implemented if they don't want to do it is false. The difficulties will adjust so that those who don't merge mine will get less and everyone is forced to mine both chains to compete.

It is also a myth that it reduces energy usage. People mining one or the other will just mine both, energy usage remains the same. It also does not give additional coins. Again more miners on both chains means the difficulty goes up. Coins awarded remains the same.

I'm very disappointed that TFT is using false arguments like energy savings or more coins to advance this agenda.

As far as I got TFT, he got valid points.

It does save your energy and let's efficiently mine two coins with no extra effort. Given the current exchange rate of BCN, I think it might still be a good idea to get twice the income with the same effort.

At least, it's from my perspective, I might be wrong.

The actual life and miners' behavior is not rigid math, so we can't actually prove the theoretical proposition about merged mining unless we give it shot. My point is, I'd better mine two coins instead of one. Where am I wrong exactly?
Cheesus

Activity: 692
Merit: 254

terra-credit.com

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 11:36:20 AM

Well, it’s not exactly “twice the income” but it’s still an income.

Quote from: smooth
It also does not give additional coins. Again more miners on both chains means the difficulty goes up. Coins awarded remains the same.

But you will gain the reward from both chains, aren’t you?  I don’t understand it fully but from my side mining 2 chains is better than mining 1. Even if the difficulty is going up.

So, currently I support MM implementation.

███████████████████████
  █████████████████████ 
    ███████████████████ 
      █████████████████ 
███████████████████████
          █████████████ 
            ███████████ 
              █████████ 
                ███████ 
                  ████ 
                    ███ 

terracredit