Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 12:44:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [BMR] Merged mining in BitMonero (proposal)  (Read 5187 times)
BitRock

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 01:26:00 AM

Just for everyone to be sure,

if you retrieved the source code from github lately and compiled it, you are automatically voting for merged mining.  You can tell by looking at cryptonote_config.h in /src/

SUPPORT merged mining:
Code:
#define CURRENT_BLOCK_MINOR_VERSION                     1

AGAINST merged mining:
Code:
#define CURRENT_BLOCK_MINOR_VERSION                     0

That's right. Results will be calculated starting from the moment an explicit voting option will be provided.

How will the votes be calculated? By the hash power or by number of miner?
surfer43

Activity: 560
Merit: 250

"Trading Platform of The Future!"

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 01:27:47 AM

I oppose merged mining.
knightcoin

Activity: 238

Stand on the shoulders of giants

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 01:29:37 AM

I already set it 0 but cant compile the code .. sounds like loopless programming ...

http://www.introversion.co.uk/
mit/x11 licence 18.x/16|o|3ffe ::71
madzooka

Activity: 150

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 10:47:49 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=582670.0

Seems we have a bifurcation point now as There are two proposed protocol changes

Being asked to express my opinion, IMO that MM has either good and bad perspective cause as long as we discuss it the diff in BCN is growing and chance to MM is disappearing. I believe, MM is better choice as no wonder but mining two coins at the same time (even with less reward) is a way of hedging.

As for second possible change, I wrote my view on the relevant thread  - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=585480.0

Bytecoin (BCN) - true anonymity, privacy protection and only CPU-mining

Bytecoin address - 21eQrEa2wVcdnf8viyaDu78anS4aX3Kvqiyidan25UBCWRokFoTpAHk6hduLR1oBeJ7Map75dCQv4an r2meEiH4wKc1tbQh
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 11:15:12 AM

diff in BCN is growing and chance to MM is disappearing.

I don't understand why the chance is disappearing. It could always be added later, right?

Namecoin was around for quite a while before it was merge mined with bitcoin, much more than a week or two.

I don't see any urgency at all.

GreedyBoy

Activity: 170
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 11:44:15 AM

Agree with smooth, there is no need to hurry up with such important decisions.
Nice to see TFT care about our opinions.

Excuse me, didn't get it how exactly votes would be implemented?

btw, wanted to vote for bitmonero at comkort.com but couldn't find it  Sad
pwrz

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 04:21:57 PM

I am not in favour of merged mining.
JPSelzer

Activity: 689
Merit: 14

World's First Crowd Owned Cryptocurrency Exchange

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 04:55:08 PM

But you will gain the reward from both chains, aren’t you?  I don’t understand it fully but from my side mining 2 chains is better than mining 1. Even if the difficulty is going up.

So, currently I support MM implementation.

I think, it’s a good idea. BCN has fairly stable exchange rate, moreover we solve 2 problems. First is the fear of closed community and the second one is the fear of new coin with untrusted (now) algorithm (MRO has no normal course or clear system of work).

It’s no difference for our computing power to receive MRO or MRO + BCN. Don’t forget, that we are talking about money and this option will brings a real benefit for us. So, why should we abandon this function?

And if the problem is in "policy" and developers disagreements, then why miners have to suffer?

how come BCN has a fairly stable exchange rate? It is not listed anywhere. There are buy orders listed on the thread that noone actually responds. BCN preminers just seem to unloading the premine...

As for the difference read the whole thread. IF we merge mine we MUST also mine BCN. And with all that premine BCN is useless...

I traded BCN, smooth traded BCN and more... Exchange thread is active https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=531925.180. It's mine that BCN has fairly stable exchange rate IMO.

Everyone doesn't use original arguments, of course.

Patron92

Activity: 234

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 05:54:06 AM

But you will gain the reward from both chains, aren’t you?  I don’t understand it fully but from my side mining 2 chains is better than mining 1. Even if the difficulty is going up.

I think, it’s a good idea. BCN has fairly stable exchange rate, moreover we solve 2 problems. First is the fear of closed community and the second one is the fear of new coin with untrusted (now) algorithm (MRO has no normal course or clear system of work).

It’s no difference for our computing power to receive MRO or MRO + BCN. Don’t forget, that we are talking about money and this option will brings a real benefit for us. So, why should we abandon this function?

And if the problem is in "policy" and developers disagreements, then why miners have to suffer?

how come BCN has a fairly stable exchange rate? It is not listed anywhere. There are buy orders listed on the thread that noone actually responds. BCN preminers just seem to unloading the premine...

As for the difference read the whole thread. IF we merge mine we MUST also mine BCN. And with all that premine BCN is useless...

I traded BCN, smooth traded BCN and more... Exchange thread is active https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=531925.180. It's mine that BCN has fairly stable exchange rate IMO.

Indeed, we build an opinion on its own philosophy and put different things in priority.
IMO, trading activity confirm Bytecoin to be stable.

btw, BCN was not premined, that's the conclusion I recently came too.
No doubt it's better to blame 'premining' on the fact that you're too late to join mining it.
GreekBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

getmonero.org

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2014, 05:56:59 AM

Indeed, we build an opinion on its own philosophy and put different things in priority.

No doubt it's better to blame 'premining' on the fact that you're too late to join mining it.

lol. I would like to ask just for the lolz how did you come up with your recet conclusion!
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 06:08:08 AM

lol. I would like to ask just for the lolz how did you come up with your recet conclusion!

I would ask how it is that this army of 1000 (or is it 100 billion) Newbies always show up and argue every issue in favor of helping BCN. Why would that be?

madzooka

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 07:51:45 AM

sorry, my mistake, have less info.
No i get where is no urgency indeed.

Y'all know sometimes when something new is coming you have a hope it's for better.
I see I need more time to get it right

Bytecoin address - 21eQrEa2wVcdnf8viyaDu78anS4aX3Kvqiyidan25UBCWRokFoTpAHk6hduLR1oBeJ7Map75dCQv4an r2meEiH4wKc1tbQh
madzooka

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 02:56:41 PM

What's the deadline to sum up with calculations? When we gonna know what the majority have decided ?

MoneroExpress

Activity: 224
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2014, 03:26:04 PM

No need of mergemining Monero

Bytecoin was stealth mined, no need doing anything with it
madzooka

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 03:59:45 PM

I would ask how it is that this army of 1000 (or is it 100 billion) Newbies always show up and argue every issue in favor of helping BCN. Why would that be?

same on the other hand, IMHO.

I know that smooth doesn't have alt newbies but everything is seen clearly.

thankful_for_today (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 04:15:14 PM

Actually voting is closed now as soon as nearly nobody wants merge mining in BMR. Let's talk about this again later in case opinion will change.

Vote for BitMonero on Comkort exchange: https://comkort.com/vote
BTC: 1F1Ryrc2gvJQsVNTS5xvCxKugMjvbFRzX4
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 10:42:37 PM

same on the other hand, IMHO.

I know that smooth doesn't have alt newbies but everything is seen clearly.

You make a valid point. Forum polls are pretty hard to trust at all.
nightwishx

Activity: 900
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2014, 06:14:03 PM

Where can I buy it?

GreekBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

getmonero.org

View Profile WWW