Bitcoin Forum
June 30, 2024, 05:24:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A couple of small reputation loans on BitLendingClub  (Read 2080 times)
BitLendingClub (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 01:03:04 PM

Hi, I'd like to promote a couple of loans from our redesigned platform. Please take a look at the loan listings here:
https://bitlendingclub.com/loan

Specifically, we had a couple of users which have requests for small reputation loans:

Reputation loan of 0.05 BTC (100% funded)
Amount: 0.05000000 BTC
Term: 7 days
Payment Frequency: every 7 days
Country of Borrower: USA
Interest Rate: determined by the sum of lowest lender offers

AND

1st Rep Loan- help me build reputation (70.5% funded)
Amount: 0.04254414 BTC
Term: 14 days
Payment Frequency: every 7 days
Country of Borrower: USA
Interest Rate: determined by the sum of lowest lender offers

The borrowers have both passed our new verification process by uploading: ID, proof of address, phone number verification (SMS code), proof of income and verifying their e-mail. Please feel free to ask any questions by addressing them to me or using the comment section in the loan page.
coinnewbit

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 01:06:08 PM

Can this be used later to scam others of their coin
BitLendingClub (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 01:07:39 PM

Can this be used later to scam others of their coin
I hope not, we do everything possible to eliminate scammers.
eternalgloom
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2014, 01:44:27 PM
Last edit: April 26, 2014, 01:55:31 PM by eternalgloom

Reputation loans mean nothing though, someone paying back a 0.05 btc loan says nothing about his ability to pay back a 1 BTC loan.
I do like that you request proof of income, but I would also guess this could easily be faked?

PerrythePlatypus

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 01:49:11 PM

The reputation loan doesn't mean anything. Most people try to build reputation before going big and scam someone.
BitLendingClub (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 03:20:16 PM

Reputation loans mean nothing though, someone paying back a 0.05 btc loan says nothing about his ability to pay back a 1 BTC loan.
I do like that you request proof of income, but I would also guess this could easily be faked?
We take a lot of due diligence to make sure that the person is not submitting fake documents. The borrower would have to fake their ID, their proof of address, their phone number, AND their income just so they can post a loan request. By the time we cross-verify all the documents with each-other, the likelihood that any of them are fake is quite low. We also have a document disclosure policy, so if a person does owe 1 BTC and defaults, then the lenders would get the verification documents which were used by the person. Since we list the country of the borrower, this also allows the lender to determine if they would be able to legally prosecute the borrower in case of a default. In the next release, we will also show the city and state... which will make the decision even easier to make.
PerrythePlatypus

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 03:25:42 PM

We take a lot of due diligence to make sure that the person is not submitting fake documents. The borrower would have to fake their ID, their proof of address, their phone number, AND their income just so they can post a loan request. By the time we cross-verify all the documents with each-other, the likelihood that any of them are fake is quite low. We also have a document disclosure policy, so if a person does owe 1 BTC and defaults, then the lenders would get the verification documents which were used by the person. Since we list the country of the borrower, this also allows the lender to determine if they would be able to legally prosecute the borrower in case of a default. In the next release, we will also show the city and state... which will make the decision even easier to make.
Isn't it dangerous to release the info of the person?
BitLendingClub (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 03:29:21 PM

Isn't it dangerous to release the info of the person?
It's a policy they agree to prior to posting the loan request. It's not dangerous because we only release the document to the lenders with which the borrower has a legally binding contract. This means that the two parties are already engaged in a contract, the borrower would normally have to present these documents prior to signing the contract, but we act as a document "escrow" service and we only release them in case of a default.
eternalgloom
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2014, 04:08:14 PM

How is this different from btcjam? Not being sarcastic, genuinely don't know.

BitLendingClub (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 04:14:57 PM
Last edit: April 26, 2014, 04:47:03 PM by BitLendingClub

It's not that much different from BTCJam, but we do have several distinguishing factors:

1. The lenders determine the interest rate instead of the borrower, and if the borrower likes it then they either accept or reject the offers. It's basically the dutch auction style lending, the sum of the lowest interest rate offers for a borrower get taken into account.
2. We only charge our fee of 1% when the loan gets paid back AND there are no withdrawal fees.
3. We're heavily focused on allow all sorts of collateral (not available yet, but it's coming soon):
    a. Altcoins- litecoin, namecoin, primecoin, etc.
    b. Digital securities- cex.io, cryptostocks.com, etc.
    c. Financial securities- stocks, bonds, options, futures, etc. anything that can be transferred via one of the standard brokerages.
    d. Gift cards- Gyft (gyft.com), Amazon, Target, Walmart, etc.
    e. Digital property- domain names, twitter accounts, etc.
4. We are working on a brand new rating system and here is the image:

monbux
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2014, 06:24:04 PM

It's not that much different from BTCJam, but we do have several distinguishing factors:

1. The lenders determine the interest rate instead of the borrower, and if the borrower likes it then they either accept or reject the offers. It's basically the dutch auction style lending, the sum of the lowest interest rate offers for a borrower get taken into account.
2. We only charge our fee of 1% when the loan gets paid back AND there are no withdrawal fees.
3. We're heavily focused on allow all sorts of collateral (not available yet, but it's coming soon):
    a. Altcoins- litecoin, namecoin, primecoin, etc.
    b. Digital securities- cex.io, cryptostocks.com, etc.
    c. Financial securities- stocks, bonds, options, futures, etc. anything that can be transferred via one of the standard brokerages.
    d. Gift cards- Gyft (gyft.com), Amazon, Target, Walmart, etc.
    e. Digital property- domain names, twitter accounts, etc.
4. We are working on a brand new rating system and here is the image:

How is B grade and BB grade harder to achieve than A grade?Huh
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 3099

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2014, 06:33:20 PM

Essentially, this site enables scammers to go from a BB rating to a D rating and successfully scam.

This forum has a no collateral no loan policy.  You shouldn't be advertising your site on this forum.   Undecided

https://nastyscam.com - featuring 13 years of OGNasty bitcoin scams     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming sooner than you think!
KWH
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1045

In Collateral I Trust.

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 06:36:52 PM

Reputation loans are heavily frowned upon here as they almost always lead to a scam later on.

When the subject of buying BTC with Paypal comes up, I often remember this: 

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein
BitLendingClub (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 07:52:21 PM

How is B grade and BB grade harder to achieve than A grade?Huh
AAA to BBB grade requires collateral, whereas from BB on there is no collateral. My assumption was that when there is collateral, the verification level shouldn't matter as much.
BitLendingClub (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 08:06:30 PM

Essentially, this site enables scammers to go from a BB rating to a D rating and successfully scam.
I've posted a thread for the rating system and I'm taking suggestions on how to improve it: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=585699.msg6408754#msg6408754

I'm a little worried that you claim that my website "enables" scammers to scam, when in fact we're battling scammers all the time. We make absolutely no money when a scammer defaults, since all of our fees are taken with the payments. So scamming cuts into our revenue stream directly, my business wouldn't go far if I'm enabling scammers in any way. Furthermore, if we don't battle scammers, then our website will fail completely (not that it's doing amazing right now, but you know what I mean). So it's very disheartening to be accused of enabling scammers!

In addition, we're simply enabling people to do everything they can do here, but in a much more organized environment.

This forum has a no collateral no loan policy.  You shouldn't be advertising your site on this forum.   Undecided
Again, I appreciate the feedback, but my understanding is that, and I quote from the sticky:
Due to scams a "rule" has been created which, while not currently "enforced", is basically a minimum requirement to get a loan. Note that this isn't an official forum rule, it's just a rule that most lenders will follow.

We're working on enabling all kinds of collateral on our website, so by the time this rule starts getting enforced, I'm hoping that we'll have it all up and running. Again, I'm not trying to argue here, I appreciate all feedback and I'm hoping that my website can be helpful for both borrowers and lenders alike.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: