Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 09:57:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MultiMiner question  (Read 799 times)
J_Dubbs (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 02:58:56 PM

I noticed the Multiminer thread is well over 100 pages so I'd like to ask a specific question here.

I bought the MultiMiner app a few months back but never had time to configure it, thus wasted purchase. Rainy day today and I've started to explore, UX on this thing seems pretty bad.

I have 5 Antminer S1's, a MinePeon rig running negligible GH/s, and a rack of blades pushing 100gh/s hooked up to a laptop running a proxy. I was naively hoping that somehow Multiminer would let me just point to IP addresses and add my equipment, but I don't see any such options. I don't even know where to start. Installed MultiMiner, declined the startup assist because I already have BFG miner, then it downloaded a copy anyways, and now I cannot get a way to pull up the startup assistance, even after uninstall/reinstall of MultiMiner.

As a user this feels broken, after some searching I'm coming to the conclusion that it's a product build for an engineer. Can anyone lend some guidance in regards to setting this up? Seems like the time it takes might not be worth the effort, which is why I let the apps go unused for several months already. I click "advanced miner settings" and it might as well be in Japanese right about now, what a pain in the ass this is turning out to be.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
J_Dubbs (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 03:08:17 PM

ugh, I just uninstalled it out of frustration.

Am I just slow or is this thing incredibly hard to understand? Makes me so mad that it isn't what it could be, so much potential.
nwoolls

Activity: 840
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2014, 12:18:50 AM

I bought the MultiMiner app a few months back but never had time to configure it, thus wasted purchase.

MultiMiner is and always has been free and Open Source. Not sure what you mean there.

Am I just slow or is this thing incredibly hard to understand? Makes me so mad that it isn't what it could be, so much potential.

I'd recommend posting in the thread that is dedicated to MultiMiner if you are looking for quick assistance. That's where other folks who use the app are looking / chatting.

If you need to restart with the setup wizard, close out of MultiMiner and delete the settings (found by typing %appdata%\MultiMiner into Windows Explorer).

There is nowhere to "add" miner IP addresses because it is not needed. MultiMiner automatically finds devices on your network if you let it run for a couple of minutes. You do have to configure those devices to allow RPC API access, which is different for every machine and outside the scope of MultiMiner. For instance for an AntMiner S1 you will need to SSH into it and edit a config file for CGMiner.

I'm sorry you are frustrated. Every release of MultiMiner aims to make it more usable and more powerful. Other apps don't have any sort of Getting Started wizard last I checked, for example. In the future you may face less frustration by using the official support threads at http://thread.multiminerapp.com and http://talk.multiminerapp.com.

MultiMiner: Any Miner, Any Where, on Any Device |  Xgminer: Mine with popular miners on Mac OS X
btc: 1BmXY4ZZQh1iHSVre658gM1gPAEtDnq8rv  |  ltc: LP1SsHZTDexndkvRKsqAkXNsienPHwaMb5  |  hardware: nwoolls at gmail dot com
J_Dubbs (OP)

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 04:40:18 AM

I bought the MultiMiner app a few months back but never had time to configure it, thus wasted purchase.

MultiMiner is and always has been free and Open Source. Not sure what you mean there.

I'd recommend posting in the thread that is dedicated to MultiMiner if you are looking for quick assistance. That's where other folks who use the app are looking / chatting.

If you need to restart with the setup wizard, close out of MultiMiner and delete the settings (found by typing %appdata%\MultiMiner into Windows Explorer).

There is nowhere to "add" miner IP addresses because it is not needed. MultiMiner automatically finds devices on your network if you let it run for a couple of minutes. You do have to configure those devices to allow RPC API access, which is different for every machine and outside the scope of MultiMiner. For instance for an AntMiner S1 you will need to SSH into it and edit a config file for CGMiner.

I'm sorry you are frustrated. Every release of MultiMiner aims to make it more usable and more powerful. Other apps don't have any sort of Getting Started wizard last I checked, for example. In the future you may face less frustration by using the official support threads at http://thread.multiminerapp.com and http://talk.multiminerapp.com.

Mobile Miner for my Windows Phone was $2.99 and I forget what I paid for my iOS version, pretty sure it wasn't free though. I was optimistic and bought the mobile apps before even looking at the Windows software.

On a technical level you built something impressive, and you should get praise for this innovation. However, the tool is made by an engineer and for an engineer, which is typical in the Bitcoin world, and most interfaces implemented without a UX designer producing an initial vision. Until or unless there is a better UX I'll have to sit out. This could be a really cool thing but the steps sound too involved for me to bother.

My expectations were likely unrealistic. I accidentally skipped the getting started wizard and couldn't get it to appear again, despite trying my ass off, is this a dead-end where canceling accidentally makes the tips gone forever?? Thanks for the reply, I'll try to keep a passive eye on it. Best of luck!
nwoolls

Activity: 840
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2014, 05:31:25 AM

On a technical level you built something impressive, and you should get praise for this innovation. However, the tool is made by an engineer and for an engineer, which is typical in the Bitcoin world, and most interfaces implemented without a UX designer producing an initial vision. Until or unless there is a better UX I'll have to sit out. This could be a really cool thing but the steps sound too involved for me to bother.

The steps I listed are for the AntMiner S1, not for MultiMiner. There are literally no steps for MultiMiner. Just start it. It detects devices on your network automatically. It is still your responsibility to set those appliances up to allow remote access. That is not a function of MultiMiner.

Let me know how I can make that less involved. There's a How-To here:

http://talk.multiminerapp.com/t/how-to-use-mobileminer-with-network-devices-antminer-s1-raspberry-pi-etc/149

MultiMiner: Any Miner, Any Where, on Any Device |  Xgminer: Mine with popular miners on Mac OS X
btc: 1BmXY4ZZQh1iHSVre658gM1gPAEtDnq8rv  |  ltc: LP1SsHZTDexndkvRKsqAkXNsienPHwaMb5  |  hardware: nwoolls at gmail dot com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: