Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 09:10:07 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Owning a Home or Renting  (Read 1217 times)
zolace (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 04:28:23 PM

People think owning a home is better for them than it is.

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
DiamondCardz
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2014, 04:36:08 PM

That reminds me of this interesting article: http://chralash.wordpress.com/2013/05/07/you-dont-own-your-house-or-your-car-or-your-labor-everybody-should-have-some-bitcoin-because-its-one-of-the-things-you-can-truly-own/

You don't own anything, and it all links back to Bitcoin being one of the only things you can actually own. But in terms of the topic the OP raises, renting is better. It's flexible, if you want to move you can do so easily, and you're purposely not owning the property rather than falsely owning it.

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
zolace (OP)

Activity: 364

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 05:02:57 PM

Good Informative article you posted

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
cookiemonsterwhat

Activity: 252

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 05:14:43 PM

I think its better if you own a home if you can afford with cash, and get a deal.

Renting though is never a good situation for a home, since it ends up having a broker talking you into just buying the house and pull out a loan.

And their reasons can justify by stating since you been living there 1 year or 2 anyway why not factor.
dumbdragon

Activity: 588
Merit: 354

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 05:25:43 PM

I just read the article. It seems like theres a lot to learn in the real estate industry, well especially when I finally decide to rent or own a home. \

Thanks  Smiley

sana8410

Activity: 448

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 05:36:04 PM

I think it all depends on where you are at in life. Initially, I would have always said that buying is the better option, but that may not necessairly be true.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
counter

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 05:40:34 PM

I guess it depends on the financial situation of each individual.  I'd think owning a home is better but when I hear things these days like people not actually owning their home even after they paid of the debt they owed on it I wonder.  I'd say for the average person renting may just be a better option these day but I hate to believe it.
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 06:46:05 PM

For me personally at the moment renting is the best option. I never buy things and pay later, or paying several € per month for something.
I will only consider buying a house when I have 100% of the money to buy the house in one go.

There are some people that I know that have €50000 debt because they bought a house and 10 years later they lost their job, and now are suffering from piling bills, a house that no one will buy, and also struggling to buy food. Every cent that they have will be used for paying their mortgage, which can take a lifetime with their income nowadays.

Best thing in life is to have 0% debt which is very hard, but it is possible for sure.
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 06:50:35 PM

the people who buy homes without a financial plan deserve to lose their money. personal responsibility is important.
gagalady
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 06:51:26 PM

ALL depends on your budget, of course having your own house is better than renting if you just have money for this. You can rent your house to someone else if you have other place to live in and earn extra cash and It's just makes you stronger morally.
noviapriani

Activity: 350

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 07:11:22 PM

the people who buy homes without a financial plan deserve to lose their money. personal responsibility is important.
well that occasionally happens to people when they are buying over there means, meaning more then they can afford.  so yup those are not responisble

bitmarket.io
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2014, 07:20:43 PM

if you live on the fly, rent
if you live on the ground, buy
and most importantly,
don't be a tardo...
-pimphood
noviapriani

Activity: 350

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 07:40:29 PM

i think it all depends on what the life goals are of the person and the current financial situation. cheap credit is hard to come by, and down payments are again very important for lenders. If you don’t have 20%, you will pay PMI, which only boosts your mortgage payments. and definitely don’t get a home for the tax deductions, its ridiculous to spend money to get a break on taxes, that’s not the point of tax deductions. If you can afford to buy, you should as long as you expect to live in the area for at least 5 years

counter

Activity: 798

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 10:49:15 PM

I know of one person that did very well in the crypto markets very on and decided to sell his home and rent.  That tells me that owning a home isn't really all it has cracked up to be.
tins

Activity: 882

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 11:34:24 PM

It comes down to the area that you live.
I live in St. Louis and owning a home in a blue collar neighborhood is very inexpensive. I have 2 rental properties and the rental income is roughly 250% of my total costs per home (mortgage + taxes + insurance + annual repairs).
On the other hand, if I lived in a more major city where average home prices are in the hundreds of thousand or millions, it would be more worth it to rent because more often than not the rental income would not match ownership costs.

To shorten my whole thing. It all comes down to the area as to whether it would be better to rent or own.
kuroman

Activity: 588
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 11:55:40 PM

It all depends on the country/region you lives on and there many factors to take into consideration

Property taxes
Housing valuation/devaluation in some regions countries the price of house keeps increasing, while in some other the price decrease for example

Also it depends on you if you have a solid long term plan in the region you are going to live on.
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 11:59:43 PM

No-one really owns property. Having said this I feel housing prices are heavily inflated (especially in my area although everyone but me thinks they're low because of the crisis) and I would not want more than my net wealth (yes it's called a mortgage) tied-up in an investment which I think will provide a negative return. Finally renting gives far greater flexibility.

Having said all this, in most areas the rents are tied to property prices in some way or another so it might all be a bit moot.
PolarPoint

Activity: 672

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 12:28:34 AM

Buying a home when property prices are low if you can afford it.
jinjuro

Activity: 602

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 12:38:18 AM

I prefer owning. Because I do a lot of changes. Like adding bunkers and tunnels under it.
Bitcoin Magazine

Activity: 252

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 01:04:34 AM

it truly is.  and marijuna != enlightenment

i am here.
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: