Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 11:37:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Am I crazy?  (Read 503 times)
phaddie (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 11:48:58 AM

Hey guys,

Was thinking about adding another 2 r9 290 to my current 10.  Am I crazy?  Will we see a resurgence of GPU mining with some of these other algo's?  Or is it time to say goodbye?  I doubt I can afford a decent quality ASIC at this point and they cannot mine anything other than Scrypt.

Thoughts?

Phad
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Starscream

Activity: 364

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 12:02:00 PM

You are essentially asking if someone here can predict the future.

No one can.
phaddie (OP)

Activity: 308

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 12:18:17 PM

You are correct.  I was hoping for speculation (informed or otherwise), so I can maybe see the issue from someone else's point of view. This will hopefully help me make my own predictions of the future.

Cheers.
Equate

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 01:35:23 PM

Don't spend more on GPUs . You can buy altcoin you have faith in . GPU mining is total gamble atm .
RentaMouse

Activity: 252

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 06:26:59 PM

Depends a lot on how much you pay for electricity I would have thought. The new ASICs like KNC's Titan offer a lot more KHS per $ for your initial investment, and a lot lower running costs in W/KH.

Speculating now: GPUs are a lot more flexible about what algo's they can mine, and most altcoins are as much about user numbers as they are total hash rate, so they will fork to algos which a lot of users can continue to mine with their GPUs rather than stay on Scrypt which will become dominated by a much smaller number of ASIC owners.

Sensible advice? Maybe you should consider investing the money elsewhere and diversifying your risk a bit Smiley

Pool admin @ http://cryptonotepool.org.uk/ - for miners who value reliability (and like orange)!
Currently donating all of our 1% pool fee to the dev fund - mine at CryptonotepoolUK and support XMR at no extra cost!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: