Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 09:36:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I dont like 2FA ...so ?  (Read 1762 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 05:46:45 PM

I would like to know how an attack takes place on a non-2FA online wallet that is not possible on a 2FA online wallet ?

I believe your question has been answered by many people now, but I am curious about the reason why you don't like 2FA.

2 reasons :-

i. Inconvenience caused to secure less than 1 BTC.

ii. The moment I'm providing my phone no., the moment I'm surrendering my anonymity.

.. inconvenient to secure $450, aren't we privileged.
RUEHL

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 08:54:57 PM

When you set up 2FA, you're provided with your secret code (an alphanumeric string and/or a QR code). With this code, you can at any time restore access with any 2FA app. So if you keep a backup of the secret code (preferably printed or written down, not stored digitally), you can use another device to regain access if you lose your phone.
Correct.

I have all my 2FA bar codes tucked away just in case I lose my phone

Currently using 7 bitcoin related sites with 2FA enabled.

Donate BTC: 1FzpMgR34pJbEqtiMEujRiidoL7PgGPaUH
Retired

Activity: 490
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2014, 09:48:28 PM

What if I lose my 2FA phone, or it just stops to work?
If you can get acess to your account by others means, you are still vulnerable.
If you can't, you are adding another risk while decreasing other.
Some services, like a Google Account, allow you to use several phone numbers (in case one of them is not available).
grifferz

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 02:04:57 AM

1. Not all 2FA requires your phone number.

2. Any service that is storing money for you probably has already required to know far more identifying information about you than your phone number.

If you don't want to use 2FA that's fine; hackers will love you the first time they crack your email account, take a look, find emails from bitcoin services, tell those services to do an email password reset, log in, empty your account.

1BTC probably goes a long way in Elbonia.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: