Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 11:24:52 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tax implication for selling bitcoins in UK  (Read 1227 times)
zolace (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 11:19:12 PM

Do we have any tax implications selling bitcoins in the UK?

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Motorsports

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 11:26:54 PM

None if sold for cash. Otherwise tax on capital gains.
npi

Activity: 2

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 01:30:39 AM

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/briefs/vat/brief0914.htm
sana8410

Activity: 448

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 09:26:22 AM

Bitcoin is classed as a currency so it the same as forex. My view is that tax would only be due if it was being actively traded for profit. If it was being exchanged for actual use as a currency then tax would not be due.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2014, 10:14:36 AM

I actually bothered to email HMRC rather than believe the silly conclusions by news articles and you apparently pay capital gains tax on them, there are no other rules regarding Bitcoin in that area so you can easily trade over the internet with Bitcoin if you want to. So if I bought a new computer from Bitcoinstore for example with just Bitcoins the UK and German government as well wouldn't give a crap about that, but if I sold them past the £9,000 or so tax threshold I'd have to pay tax on it.

The only difficult thing is checking out how much you need to pay for that year based on what you earn when you sell.
noviapriani

Activity: 350

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 04:15:03 PM

When Bitcoin is exchanged for Sterling or for foreign currencies, such as Euros or Dollars, no VAT will be due on the value of the Bitcoins themselves. However, in all instances, VAT will be due in the normal way from suppliers of any goods or services sold in exchange for Bitcoin or other similar cryptocurrency

RyanMilligan1

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 12:20:55 AM

Taxes on profits.

You buy £5000 worth of bitcoin in a year and sell for £20'000 in total - £15'000 is taxable.

Minus the (£9000? roughly anyway) that is an untaxable income allowance, you now have £6000 that is taxable by the HMRC I believe that is 15% tax?
RyanMilligan1

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 12:23:00 AM

I actually bothered to email HMRC rather than believe the silly conclusions by news articles and you apparently pay capital gains tax on them, there are no other rules regarding Bitcoin in that area so you can easily trade over the internet with Bitcoin if you want to. So if I bought a new computer from Bitcoinstore for example with just Bitcoins the UK and German government as well wouldn't give a crap about that, but if I sold them past the £9,000 or so tax threshold I'd have to pay tax on it.

The only difficult thing is checking out how much you need to pay for that year based on what you earn when you sell.

Places like localbitcoins will now give you a log of transactions, that will help you with tax massively. If you are a trader anyway. Shows what you bought for, then sold for. Of course if you buy other ways, like meet strangers and buy in cash they cant prove anything and have to take your word but tax evasion is a serious crime.
ENEWIT

Activity: 42

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 05:54:21 PM

Should I have to pay tax if I use Bitcoin as an investment and not for profit e.g.?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: