Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 03:44:31 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone here into game development, what game engine are you using right now?  (Read 420 times)
BBQcopter (OP)

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 01:10:53 AM

What engine are you currently using right now, and why? And if you're not developing something right now, what engine do you want to use for your next project?

I'll start, I'm using my own Java engine. I decided to kill two birds with one stone, and finish a project for my CS class (the engine), and create a game from scratch.
sana8410

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 10:17:18 AM

My preferred platform is the web, so I write my own JavaScript engine, trying to get the functionality I need at that point in such a way that it fits in a library.

So far, it works quite well Smiley

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
nachius

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 12:41:25 PM

I've looked into:

unreal engine - not suited for our project
torque3d - great open product was more suited for fps out of the box
Currently we are using HeroEngine - It's functional as MMO style game out of the box meaning development in a sandbox - there are both pros and cons being that we can't edit the source (currently without spending 75k to "own" the engine) but we don't have to setup the networking/connectivity/back end stuff; which allows us to focus on the game.

There are lots out there and depending on your genre game will narrow down your engine.
noviapriani

Activity: 350

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 04:17:18 PM

At work: In-house engine made from scratch over the last 4 years, targeting next-gen consoles exclusively.
At home: My own home cooked engine (C++/SDL/OpenGL, mainly targeting PC).
In general I find it more fun to reinvent the wheel than making actual games (otherwise I'd probably use Unity)

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2014, 05:06:47 PM

I'm learning games programming in my free time and I'm looking at C++, SFML and OpenGL.
blacksails

Activity: 294

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 05:38:00 PM

Right now I'm not developing any games, but the game engines I've used have been Unity 3d and Blender. Unity is way easier, however, unless you have the full version it's quite locked what you can do with the graphics.
Energia

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 07:00:41 PM

Right now I'm not developing any games, but the game engines I've used have been Unity 3d and Blender. Unity is way easier, however, unless you have the full version it's quite locked what you can do with the graphics.
Yes, unity is good and has a free version. Blender is good for modeling otherwise.
blacksails

Activity: 294

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 07:02:53 PM

Yes, unity is good and has a free version. Blender is good for modeling otherwise.
Yes, it is! It's my favorite modeling software. Open-source, free and powerful. Everything you need basically, however it was quite hard to learn at first with that hotkey based system!
tekke
Legendary

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 07:07:38 PM

I have used Unity3d for some projects with very good results. Very fast learning curve, good forum/community . For coding I use c#
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: