Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 08:57:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Completed] 2 BTC to send me 1 BTC of "clean" generated coins  (Read 1704 times)
deepceleron (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2012, 08:46:27 PM
Last edit: January 16, 2012, 09:45:30 AM by deepceleron

For instruction and how-tos, screenshots, etc, I wish to have a payment of 1 BTC sent to an address I give you, but from an untouched generated block, one where the payment address was only used in the generated block and will never be used again, ideally one that generated exactly 50BTC with no earned fees (although this may be hard), and maybe even no transactions (nearly impossible?). It should be sent to me with no transaction fee. This way I get 1 BTC and the change will be 49 BTC. Older generates are better if you have many to choose from, and old will guarantee decent priority with no fee. Do what you want with the 49 BTC, but sending the remainder to a mixer or an exchange's one-time deposit address would be recommended since it may be closely examined by the curious in the future.

Desired procedure:

1. Identify the address and generate block that meets my needs, let me review and we agree it works (I'll pay 1 BTC first if your rep makes it likely you own the block generate you claim),
2. Export the private key from your wallet
3. Import it into a fresh Bitcoin install with new wallet (different machine or VM),
4. Set transaction fee to 0 in client, (do not send with fee),
5. Verify 50 BTC balance in block are still unspent,
6. Send the address I give 1 BTC, this Bitcoin gets back the change (ideally hit send right after new Bitcoin block)
7. Send the wallet's 49 BTC balance somewhere else in one payment after six or more confirmations.
8. Sometime after you've got your 49 BTC out and I've got the 1 BTC, delete the Bitcoin data directory and/or wallet so addresses don't get accidentally used again.
9. (optional, but if needed to remove any doubt) Delete the generate address from old wallet so it never gets accidentally used.

I can do step 3-8 with your private key, but I don't expect someone to essentially loan me access to their 50BTC for a while. I don't have near that much in BTC right now myself, and don't think I would "buy" a private key that could be remotely zapped either.

If you screw it up majorly sending and the data doesn't fit my purposes, I'll send you back the payment to whatever address you want, maybe to try again if you have more generates. If it's good, you get 2 BTC (or 1 BTC more if prepaid).

I'm not in a huge hurry. It's not a big bounty, however, after making mature example payments to be used for publication, I will later publish details of the addresses and simple payments for the community to be used for learning and screenshots, probably including some private key(s) (although I would put a MtGox sweeper on any private keys disclosed to discourage people from sending more money and causing any confusion). The typical instruction that the payment address may be useful for: "how coins are generated", "how to follow coins on block explorer", "how to import private keys", "see wallet balance (no money needed)"; "watch confirmations and balance as spending blocks are received", "try to double-spend already spent coins", etc.

PS: A possible feature for Bitcoin experimenting useful for more than just me: a 'pause' button on block downloading or a "stop downloading at xxxxxx block" option, while the client otherwise operates normally.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2012, 09:23:29 PM

I believe I have a block of coins that has only been touched once: to move it to a single paper wallet address that contains the coinbase BTC and nothing more.  I would be able to confidently split it as directed if it met your needs.  And because it's on a paper wallet, I would have no problem identifying the private key.  It is a somewhat old generate (sometime in the spring of 2011 perhaps).  I would be unlikely to move the remaining 49 BTC for quite a while, as it will return to sitting in cold storage for a rainy day, or perhaps when Bitcoin hits it big.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
deepceleron (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2012, 09:28:32 PM

I believe I have a block of coins that has only been touched once: to move it to a single paper wallet address that contains the coinbase BTC and nothing more.  I would be able to confidently split it as directed if it met your needs.  And because it's on a paper wallet, I would have no problem identifying the private key.
That would be great, if not "touched" on the net. You can PM me the address and I'll check'r out. I think I can trust you with my BTC Tongue
deepceleron (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2012, 03:14:12 AM

casascius' block looks good, paid!
deepceleron (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2012, 09:50:03 AM

Completed! I'll post the address in a month or so after I am done, just to ensure goofballs don't send it any money now.
nhodges

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 17, 2012, 12:06:25 AM

I believe I have a block of coins that has only been touched once: to move it to a single paper wallet address that contains the coinbase BTC and nothing more.  I would be able to confidently split it as directed if it met your needs.  And because it's on a paper wallet, I would have no problem identifying the private key.  It is a somewhat old generate (sometime in the spring of 2011 perhaps).  I would be unlikely to move the remaining 49 BTC for quite a while, as it will return to sitting in cold storage for a rainy day, or perhaps when Bitcoin hits it big.

Sexy, so those coins could technically have been worth ~$30/BTC at their minting date.

deepceleron (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2012, 03:11:35 AM
Last edit: March 12, 2012, 03:24:56 AM by deepceleron

Here is information about this address and payment:
Firstbits: 1SAMPLE
Address: 1sampLedBGs1c4Lfdz3RTTx3RKBP9GDvc
Privkey: 5Jmhu6oxcNdKciLfCjU6hCHDiE1WoMpJbBhkRPT5Ym5kKPcAu2R

Here is the info about this coin transfer and how it can be used.

block 136680 - generated 50.0575653 BTC
Block 136915 - 50.05 of generate sent, remainder sent as fees by old bitcoin client
Block 162264 - 1 BTC sent to 1sample address, remainder sent back to wallet
Block 169458 - 1 BTC sent from 1sample address into MtGox (where it still sits)

I have a post here where you can download complete blockchains, one has all the blocks up to 152663, the other blocks up to 165000. By importing the private key and using the older blockchain, you can watch the coins being received and sent as incoming blocks are replayed, or you can see what happens when you download the newer blockchain and "miss" the payment to the wallet.
One can also make a screenshot of a wallet with only one transaction of 1BTC old coins, with either a 1 btc or 0btc balance. You can also "timewarp", setting the computer time to 2012-01-15 when the wallet receives the payment block so it looks original.
chsados

Activity: 662
Merit: 545

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 06:47:31 AM

whats the point of this?
deepceleron (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2012, 11:23:42 AM

whats the point of this?
Having a payment close to the generate block was useful for me for creating documentation, maybe useful for someone else too, so I'm sharing.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: