Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:31:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Unknown header type 7f  (Read 4200 times)
Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2011, 10:23:47 AM

I have a Linux mining rig with 2 X 5870. When I run lspci -v, the second card is listed with the warning "!!! Unknown header type 7f" and I can't use it.

Now, if I physically plug the card out and back in, the problem is resolved and I can successfully mine on it. However, if I shut down the computer and turn it back on, the problem returns.

I don't think the problem is with the card itself, as I've switched the cards and the problem is always with the card in the second slot (which has no monitor attached).

Any idea how to fix this?

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
allinvain
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2011, 02:08:48 PM

I have a Linux mining rig with 2 X 5870. When I run lspci -v, the second card is listed with the warning "!!! Unknown header type 7f" and I can't use it.

Now, if I physically plug the card out and back in, the problem is resolved and I can successfully mine on it. However, if I shut down the computer and turn it back on, the problem returns.

I don't think the problem is with the card itself, as I've switched the cards and the problem is always with the card in the second slot (which has no monitor attached).

Hmm, I wonder if this could be crossfire related or maybe the second card expects a  monitor to be attached to it? I read something about needing to use some sort of dummy video plug or something of that sort. I'm leaning more towards needing a monitor attached. Try hooking one up if you have a spare one.

Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2011, 02:29:09 PM

Hmm, I wonder if this could be crossfire related or maybe the second card expects a  monitor to be attached to it? I read something about needing to use some sort of dummy video plug or something of that sort. I'm leaning more towards needing a monitor attached. Try hooking one up if you have a spare one.
AFAICT that's not supposed to be a problem with Linux. I did try using a dummy plug and it didn't help. Also, when I reset the card I can mine on both without any monitor attached (controlled with VNC).

Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
allinvain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2011, 02:33:41 PM

Hmm, odd. So what version of the Catalyst drivers are you using?

Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2011, 02:44:20 PM

I think the latest. I used
Code:
$ sudo apt-get install fglrx
Anyway, I think this is a problem in a level more fundamental than drivers (it's supposed to list the device correctly before installing proprietary drivers).

allinvain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2011, 03:00:06 PM

Code:
Anyway, I think this is a problem in a level more fundamental than drivers (it's supposed to list the device correctly before installing proprietary drivers).

Yeah that's most likely it..something PCI or kernel related. You can try updating the kernel if you aren't using the latest. This could also be a BIOS issue - failing to properly initialize the secondary PCIE device upon cold start. Check to make sure you have the latest BIOS revision maybe?

Also is ACPI enabled ?

Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 15, 2011, 03:54:47 PM

Code:

apt-get?  what are your repositories?  i think to start with, i'd stick with the ati downloads, after purging everything related to the OS-installed versions of fglrx, radeon, & etc.

but yes - it's more fundamental than your drivers.

what motherboard are you using?  what other hardware is hung on it?  what linux OS?
Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2011, 05:45:31 PM

Updating the BIOS worked! The problem seems to have gone away. Thank you both for your help!

For reference, I'm using Ubuntu 10.10, ASUS P5B-V with Intel C2D E4500, and I guess my repositories are whatever I got from the command
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates

allinvain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2011, 04:38:23 AM

Updating the BIOS worked! The problem seems to have gone away. Thank you both for your help!

For reference, I'm using Ubuntu 10.10, ASUS P5B-V with Intel C2D E4500, and I guess my repositories are whatever I got from the command
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates

Yay!  Grin Congrats man. Now get your mining on Tongue

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: