Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 02:07:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to Answer "What are Bitcoins?"  (Read 2898 times)
bb113

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 11:46:03 PM

The thing is that it should come up naturally in conversation, then the conversation should flow to the next thing. If someone just comes up to me and starts telling me about internet money (which, after watching that recent Bitcoin TV, is what I imagine Bruce Wagner does) I will assume its a scam they fell for. Also, if your goal is evangelizing rather than just passing along info, I would recommended quoting a value slightly below what it is now (or at least round down to the nearest dollar). It is also good to have other interesting things to talk about as well that establish yourself as a source of interesting information, bitcoin being only one example.

That is kind of rambling, but I really hope there aren't people out there just being like "check out these bitcoins they're awesome".

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 12:06:02 AM

The thing is that it should come up naturally in conversation, then the conversation should flow to the next thing. If someone just comes up to me and starts telling me about internet money (which, after watching that recent Bitcoin TV, is what I imagine Bruce Wagner does) I will assume its a scam they fell for. Also, if your goal is evangelizing rather than just passing along info, I would recommended quoting a value slightly below what it is now (or at least round down to the nearest dollar). It is also good to have other interesting things to talk about as well that establish yourself as a source of interesting information, bitcoin being only one example.

That is kind of rambling, but I really hope there aren't people out there just being like "check out these bitcoins they're awesome".

This. Usually, if I talk about Bitcoin (and I don't, that often) , it's just to start a discussion about related subjects - centralized planning, currencies, financial systems, the Internet, free markets... Bitcoin just happens to be an interesting example of a very different approach to a lot of these things. Generally, if the discussion includes an explanation of what the system is, and that it can be traded for other currencies or goods, people will ask what it's worth, and I can't really answer that without giving an outline of the rollercoaster ride of the exchange rate, and end up saying I bought some when it was cheap (relatively speaking), am theoretically well in the profit zone still but really wouldn't like to say where it's going to go next.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2012, 09:51:21 PM

If I may quote someone in another thread, my favorite answer to this question:

"Internet money for smart people. You would'nt be interested."

Obnoxious but sure to raise earnest eyebrows and more questions.

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: