Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 05:23:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: what are the chances for a democratic revolution in china  (Read 1432 times)
Robert Paulson (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 01:21:53 PM

Should this happen the whole chinese mainland could turn into something like hong kong.
Capital controls would be lifted and bitcoin will be freely traded.
If this happens i think the price could go through the roof.
RoadTrain
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 01:48:22 PM

It's already kind of turning into Hong Kong. Just gradually lifting capital controls and opening the economy.
I don't think it's good to force the process just because you want another bitcoin bubble.
dogechode

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 01:52:52 PM

There was a pretty serious chance of this happening back around the time of the Arab Spring revolutions. There was talk of a "Jasmine" revolution as I recall but China stamped it out hardcore before it could gain much momentum.

Now that the dust has settled, I don't think there is any significant likelihood of such an event gaining traction even if someone tried.
joae1975

Activity: 752
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 01:57:53 PM

From what I've heard/read, the Chinese like it the way it is.  There is no move mass movement to change anything...at the moment.  They embrace capitalism, but are communist, it's weird.

1PewuG8KZJUPK3CtvAkAs1Uw42rQgUv5Jk
Asrael999

Activity: 703
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 02:05:51 PM

peacefully in a timescale that come to pass in the next twenty years? Close to Zero.
Progressive loosening of economic policy to a freer market yes , but democracy don't make me laugh.
Hong Kong doesn't have democracy yet.
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 02:15:11 PM

Zero, they will kill anyone and everyone that pushes this idea in their country.
Robert Paulson (OP)

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 03:23:51 PM

it happened in the soviet union, so why not in china.
with the yuan being massively printed hyper inflation could be round around the corner, the people WILL want economic freedom.
jamesc760

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 04:19:39 PM

If you learned anything about China's history, you'd know that the roots of Confucianism run deep. Chairman Mao tried to erase it from the people's psyche and never succeeded. One of the major tenets of Confucianism is that you remain loyal to the King/Country, no matter how tyranical. For instance, the Tinanmen massacre was caused by the protesters' desire for true democracy and the Communist Central Party's refusal. How is it a good example? Because it would have been a pivotal point for a widespread rebellion which obviously did not materialize. Even though the Government acted selfishly and murdered thousands of its own, mostly young, people, the rest of the country stood by. They were being obedient to the King/Country per Confucian sense of duty and loyalty.

In short, there's a slim and a no chance and slim just jumped out the window.
dogechode

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 04:32:39 PM

It bears mentioning at this point that

A.) I wouldn't consider Russia "democratic" as another poster seems to be suggesting

and

B.) China is not "communist." Everyone says China is communist and many say Russia is still communist but honestly both notions are absurd. Communism was an idea that was experimented with last century but I would argue that no country every truly achieved it (what they really had were dictatorships that never fully reached full communism) and no one is really trying anymore. In theory, a communist society would have everyone living at the same level. That has never happened and I doubt it ever will. Who wants to live like that?
ScarletJ

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 05:03:45 PM

Zero.

The Communist Party of China is widely approved of, even in Hong Kong polls. They're seen as the creators of the Chinese economic miracle and the restorers of China's rightful place among the superpowers.

Some naive Westerners at times assume there would be a revolution against lack of freedom of speech, or not having democratic elections etc. This is completely ignoring the history of revolutions. Mass revolutions aren't born of imported foreign intellectual ideals. They're born of lack of welfare/poverty, perceived injustice, and/or ambition.

The Soviet Union was failing economically and the new glasnost policy brought issues of injustice and oppression to the press, causing local uprisings leading to the fall of the union. This is exactly what is not happening China. There's no incoming "glasnost" to create public outrage and the people don't want to "mess with success".

Censorship etc. is discussed in the open and as far as I know Chinese people they mostly seem happy with the state of affairs - this is in stark contrast with E. Euro people I know still.

Don't really see a revolution benefiting bitcoin in the near term either. You don't need an alternative currency or money laundering in times of revolution.
Arghhh

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 06:40:53 PM

Democratic revolution in China not happening in my lifetime. The Chinese culture is far too Confucian (read: obedient) for a grassroot campaign against their totalitarian regime.

How are you going to make wolves out of a bunch of kids that have been raised as sheeples? "Eat Bitter" is taught to kids in China. http://community.travelchinaguide.com/forum2.asp?i=47529

Compare it with the West (USA), where rugged individualism reigns supreme, and the disagreement stance is something like, "Fuck you Mr. Big Government, try taking away our guns and see what happens."
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 07:04:16 PM

Democratic revolution in China not happening in my lifetime. The Chinese culture is far too Confucian (read: obedient) for a grassroot campaign against their totalitarian regime.

How are you going to make wolves out of a bunch of kids that have been raised as sheeples? "Eat Bitter" is taught to kids in China. http://community.travelchinaguide.com/forum2.asp?i=47529

Compare it with the West (USA), where rugged individualism reigns supreme, and the disagreement stance is something like, "Fuck you Mr. Big Government, try taking away our guns and see what happens."

YAAAAAAAAAAAAA The USA left that stance 100's of years ago..  Fema could throw you all into concentration camps and you would not lift a finger.  The America american's are so proud of is LONG dead, long dead.  Only a country of debt slaves remains, scared of their own shadow.  No real American would of let the "patriort" act be signed in, it's over boys.
Robert Paulson (OP)

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 07:13:38 PM

i see the point about Confucianism teaching people to be obedient to authority.
but wouldn't the internet change the perspectives of at least the urban Chinese (you know, the one's who have internet)?
i mean, these people are not cut out from the outside world like the older generations were, they see how people live in other countries where freedom is abundant (well at least when compared with China).
is there really no chance these people will gang up on their dictators?
with the sheer amount of people they have they could simply march on Beijing and throw those communist party tyrants from their collars into a jail cell.
knightcoin

Activity: 238

Stand on the shoulders of giants

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 07:23:10 PM

but wouldn't the internet change the perspectives of at least the urban Chinese (you know, the one's who have internet)?
i mean, these people are not cut out from the outside world like the older generations were, they see how people live in other countries where freedom is abundant (well at least when compared with China).
with the sheer amount of people they have they could simply march on Beijing and throw those communist party tyrants from their collars into a jail cell.

I confess that I know noting about chinese communism ..  Embarrassed

Communism and Marxism are interchangeable to many, a dangerous misconception. Communal societies have existed for thousands of years, while Marxism was only created during the mid-nineteenth century. Communism is the general communal sharing of property. Marxism is specific to industrial nations, involving the revolutionary overthrow of the pro-capitalist government from the roots by an oppressed proletarian class, leading to the emancipation of the proletariate from the bottom of the social hierarchy, the formation of a single class from the abolition of all classes, and the abolition of private property such that all property becomes public. Marxist theory predicts the proletariat will inevitably seize control of the means of production. Marxism is so specific that a nation could be under Communist rule without following the Marxist doctrine.

Another common misconception is that all Communist states are the same, a mistake even the US government believed in early stages of the Cold War. Communist nations have their own unique style of Communism. Russia for example, regards itself as the most authentic communist nation, following a Marx-Leninist doctrine, yet it is also a highly stratified nation. A better example of a variation from Marxism is the Communist Revolution of China. Though the idea of a functional communal society was present, numerous deviations from Marxism exist.

The Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels, served as the foundation for Marxism, which was aimed at highly industrialized nations like Britain or Germany, and not rural agrarian societies like China.

but related to bitcoin and Marx .... it's interesting thing about ..

Fictitious capital
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fictitious_capital

http://www.introversion.co.uk/
mit/x11 licence 18.x/16|o|3ffe ::71
ScarletJ

Activity: 6

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 07:57:07 PM

They don't see the CPC as dictators and just because we value (sometimes) freedom of speech doesn't mean they want to die for it.

Do you think Chinese people live in a bottle? No, they know what democracy is. They just don't care enough, for a variety of reasons, including culture, current welfare, traditional values, party propaganda etc.

Everybody knows the principles of democracy, and communism, in relatively prosperous countries. Much like communist thought spreading in the West did not incite revolutions in well-to-do Western countries, it's unrealistic to expect just the knowledge that Americans sometimes value freedom of speech and choosing between two dummy candidates and interchangeable parties to cause a revolt in China. If the communist party makes it miserable to live there then it will happen, basically.
TERA

Activity: 728

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 09:25:25 PM

Do people just try to think of anything and everything for the sole sake of pumping the bitcoin price?
NationOwnedCCNow

Activity: 42

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 11:19:22 PM

What "freedoms" are you talking about? What freedoms does an american have that a chinese doesn't? They can both move wherever they want. Walk wherever they want. Sure, they cannot TALK how they want but that is easy to understand how it got to be like that. Any country on Earth that has been open for western(English then American) influence has ended up With a puppet regime. Including EVERY EU country.
YipYip

Activity: 574

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 03:52:06 AM

there is about as much chance of this happening as there is of the BAN-UN-BAN Fud about china threads NOT being started In Speculation

Zero ..

OBJECT NOT FOUND
dogechode

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 01:34:48 PM

What "freedoms" are you talking about? What freedoms does an american have that a chinese doesn't? They can both move wherever they want. Walk wherever they want. Sure, they cannot TALK how they want but that is easy to understand how it got to be like that. Any country on Earth that has been open for western(English then American) influence has ended up With a puppet regime. Including EVERY EU country.

Ahahahahahahahahaha.... I love when people post shit like this. Dude you have no idea what living in a repressed country is like. I'm not knocking the Chinese, they have their own way of doing things. But to imply that they have the same level of personal freedom as Americans is patently absurd.

And you actually have it backwards about the puppet regimes - it was the countries that tried to stay closed off to the rest of the world, that got puppets installed. China is the perfect example of this, they tried to keep closed to the outside world, which led to them getting behind technologically (after having been very advanced for a long period.) Then England came and China wasn't interested in opening up to free trade and such with them, and boom they got invaded by an advanced army and more or less colonized for a period of time.
NationOwnedCCNow

Activity: 42

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 01:38:34 PM

Ahahahahahahahahaha.... I love when people post shit like this. Dude you have no idea what living in a repressed country is like. I'm not knocking the Chinese, they have their own way of doing things. But to imply that they have the same level of personal freedom as Americans is patently absurd.

And you actually have it backwards about the puppet regimes - it was the countries that tried to stay closed off to the rest of the world, that got puppets installed. China is the perfect example of this, they tried to keep closed to the outside world, which led to them getting behind technologically (after having been very advanced for a long period.) Then England came and China wasn't interested in opening up to free trade and such with them, and boom they got invaded by an advanced army and more or less colonized for a period of time.

And why wouldn't they want to have a free-trade agreement? Hmm.. someone should wiki Opium Wars.

btw, rest of Your post is retarded.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: