Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:58:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Donations  (Read 708 times)
is4tomj (OP)

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2012, 08:37:01 AM

Hi,

I have noticed websites asking for ฿ donations on nearly all bitcoin related sites. Can anyone shed light as to whether the bitcoin community actively donates?

Cheers.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
January 15, 2012, 08:38:58 AM

i donate sometimes. and sometimes i get donated to.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
January 15, 2012, 08:46:51 AM

I work for my money, and I pay for people's work. "Donations" is kind of pointless imo. Why donate even to the bitcoin client itself, when you could just charge the communty fees for development? Ever example of donations being useful can be met with an argument for how to earn money through work. Just my opinion.

j]

Activity: 6

View Profile
January 15, 2012, 05:56:17 PM

I work for my money, and I pay for people's work. "Donations" is kind of pointless imo. Why donate even to the bitcoin client itself, when you could just charge the communty fees for development? Ever example of donations being useful can be met with an argument for how to earn money through work. Just my opinion.

For the same reason people donate to charities; their purpose isn't earning income by "working" (they already work), it's helping people. Fees are forced; the point of Bitcoin is not having to pay fees to a central authority.
is4tomj (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2012, 04:02:10 PM

i donate sometimes. and sometimes i get donated to.

What is your website or product that collects donations?
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 04:21:37 PM

For the same reason people donate to charities; their purpose isn't earning income by "working" (they already work), it's helping people. Fees are forced; the point of Bitcoin is not having to pay fees to a central authority.

Work is work. When you want someone to do something, they do not become the 'central authority' just because they are receiving money for their work. You undervalue your time friend and are confusing charity with rewards.

"I need to pay rent this month-- please donate to my address" <-- this is idiotic for me, because I can make a service or product to earn money. Why can't everyone else?

is4tomj (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2012, 06:10:12 PM
Last edit: January 21, 2012, 09:21:46 PM by is4tomj

I went ahead and added a donation line on my blog, hopefully it will be confirmation that the information is of some value. http://blog.tradingtitan.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: