Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 11:36:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Morals and the hunt for TV viewer's money  (Read 1481 times)
Vandroiy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 15, 2012, 12:59:43 PM

Maybe I'm just overly emotional on this, but here goes. I believe to see a current "plan" used by quite a few speculators, and I find the plan to be questionable at best.

The plan begins with making the current rally continue until some TV show airs. This coincides nicely with the desire to acquire some Bitcoins needed later. The average viewer of said TV show will have insufficient statistical education, and is thus likely to mistake skew for expectation value: blindly follow trends. These people may see the current strong uptrend, jump on, and thus repeat the mistake of feeding a Bitcoin bubble. The participants of the plan estimate the peak and compete to sell at the right point, either to buy back lower or to walk off with USD, their win either way.

This is different from normal bubble profits because there are participants who are trying to create a bubble, and this means they increase volatility. I know it's a mass phenomenon and unspoken and therefore no real "plan", blah. Still, it would not be in favor of the Bitcoin community's name.

But how else is everyone expecting price to jump very quickly after some TV show, if not by the viewers buying speculative Bitcoins? We won't get any indicators on the success of this type of publicity any time soon, a few web statistics at best, which could die down the same way they did before. I also don't see another reason to expect another massive rally directly after one in which price tripled, but this is a common opinion.

Maybe I got it all wrong. In that case, people should not have trouble warning newcomers about the dangers of speculating and bubbles, no? Wink
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
zby
Legendary

Activity: 1592
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 15, 2012, 01:09:35 PM

Relax.  Those that gamble on bitcoin are not children - they know what they do and what are the risks.
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2012, 01:23:01 PM

Relax.  Those that gamble on bitcoin are not children - they know what they do and what are the risks.

right, and if they don't... the gov't will bail them out...

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
Vandroiy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
January 15, 2012, 01:32:07 PM

lol. Certainly the people who bought back at 32 were well educated on the history of finance. Roll Eyes
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
January 15, 2012, 01:38:49 PM

*cough*Atlas*cough*

antoineph

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 15, 2012, 04:35:29 PM

The problem with appealing to moral values is that those who are vulnerable stay vulnerable. You have no pull or sway over the majority who would take advantage.

And even if you prevented one bubble from forming by pure force of morals, people would only buy harder into the next one.

The real solution is education. That way vulnerabilities can be addressed with minimal damage.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2012, 06:18:46 PM

Anyone who runs out and buys bitcoins after seeing it on some show without doing any research is a lucky idiot.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904

View Profile
January 15, 2012, 11:34:48 PM

If you're worried about a bubble, learn to short.

As for me, I'll be selling after the rallies and rebuying on the dips.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Sitarow
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047

View Profile
January 16, 2012, 02:13:30 AM

They even mentioned that the price was at one time over $30 and that it went down due to hoarders.

At the making of this show the value of bitcoin was just over $3.
FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 16, 2012, 02:22:22 AM

Oh give me a break....
old_engineer

Activity: 387
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 16, 2012, 02:37:56 AM

You know how hard it is to explain what bitcoin is, and how it's different from... well, everything else, especially to non-geeks? Anything that helps explain the basic concept, even if it's technically inaccurate in its details, is good for novel new technologies.

I work in a fledgling industry that's a completely new product category, and find that it's complicated/lengthy to explain why the systems are useful.  Thankfully competitors are out there spending tens of millions trying to get the word out that this product category *exists* and is useful, and I'm thankful every time I come across someone that knows the acronyms and the lingo.  Bitcoin has no such marketing or sales group, so I think people are rightly excited that it's getting some exposure.

The pyramid-like aspect of bitcoin bothers me, too, but I can't see any better way to distribute coins quickly and make them worth keeping. Speculation is the reason the 15,000 btc pizza was bought, and it's also why KnightMB bought up ~370,000 btc back when it was in the penny range. Both transactions were driven by an expectation of higher future value, and both drove up the value of *all* bitcoins.  I think speculation is a necessary evil and part of the economy, same as in the traditional world.  How much is too much?  I don't know, but I think the $25-$50 range will be where the system will be large enough to resist most manipulation.

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904

View Profile
January 16, 2012, 02:55:30 AM

I don't know, but I think the $25-$50 range will be where the system will be large enough to resist most manipulation.

The $25-$50 range is when we will attract enough attention for the first real pump and dump.  Even with sound money, you can't avoid booms and busts.  It can be traumatic, which is why people usually overreact.  It will eventually smooth out, but we haven't seen the last bubble.  I don't think we'll see one short term however.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
bittenbob

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 16, 2012, 03:02:48 AM

Nice I am watching it on Global now. Thought I was going to have to stream it or something.
gewure

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

[#][#][#]

View Profile
January 16, 2012, 06:11:58 AM

The problem with appealing to moral values is that those who are vulnerable stay vulnerable. You have no pull or sway over the majority who would take advantage.

And even if you prevented one bubble from forming by pure force of morals, people would only buy harder into the next one.

The real solution is education. That way vulnerabilities can be addressed with minimal damage.

++
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: