Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 01:58:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Q: First time launch, downloading blockchain  (Read 1094 times)
Automatic (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 105

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 12:24:07 AM

Somewhat confused, first time installing Armory on this new version, it claims it's "Downloading via Armory CDN", yet, also claims it's downloading via a torrent from 29 peers. Which is it? A CDN or torrent? I wouldn't really call a torrent a "Armory's" CDN.

Second of all, who is seeding this torrent? Am I seeding this torrent? I didn't ask to seed this torrent.

Third, where is this torrent? Can I have a copy? I can't seem to find it:-
Code:
[user@Desktop ~]$ find /opt/armory-git/BitTornado -iname '*.torrent'
[user@Desktop ~]$

I couldn't find it either by searching the source for "Magnet". I was able to find 'bootstrap.dat.torrent' in announcemap.txt which googling it pointed me to this bitcointalk thread, but, that's a little too large of a jump to make without any sort of confirmation.

Please ask for a signed message from my on-site Bitcoin address (Check my profile) before doing any offsite trades with me.
etotheipi
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2014, 01:11:48 AM
Last edit: April 29, 2014, 01:23:39 AM by etotheipi

It's the "Armory CDN" because we (Armory Technologies) is running 30-something seedboxes to seed the torrent download for all users who run Armory.  So your 29 peers are Armory's resources ... hence the "Armory CDN" Smiley

It's a long story why we don't use the default torrent, but part of it is that it gives us better control, and we disabled uploading so we make up for that by providing all the bandwidth for it.

P.S. - the torrent file and the torrent itself gets downloaded to your --satoshi-datadir, probably /home/<user>/.bitcoin.  We periodically distribute a new .torrent with the latest blockchain files, using the new announcement system (which is offline-signed: https://s3.amazonaws.com/bitcoinarmory-media/announce.txt).  We'll be uploading a new version shortly with the last 2-3 week's worth of blockchain history

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
Automatic (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 105

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 01:40:53 AM

It's the "Armory CDN" because we (Armory Technologies) is running 30-something seedboxes to seed the torrent download for all users who run Armory.  So your 29 peers are Armory's resources ... hence the "Armory CDN" Smiley

It's a long story why we don't use the default torrent, but part of it is that it gives us better control, and we disabled uploading so we make up for that by providing all the bandwidth for it.

P.S. - the torrent file and the torrent itself gets downloaded to your --satoshi-datadir, probably /home/<user>/.bitcoin.  We periodically distribute a new .torrent with the latest blockchain files, using the new announcement system (which is offline-signed: https://s3.amazonaws.com/bitcoinarmory-media/announce.txt).  We'll be uploading a new version shortly with the last 2-3 week's worth of blockchain history

Fair enough, so, the only peers are Armory (And people who have manually imported the .torrent from their .bitcoin DIR to a torrent client)? No upload is forced?

Please ask for a signed message from my on-site Bitcoin address (Check my profile) before doing any offsite trades with me.
etotheipi
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2014, 01:55:06 AM

Fair enough, so, the only peers are Armory (And people who have manually imported the .torrent from their .bitcoin DIR to a torrent client)? No upload is forced?

A couple other users promised to support the seeding, but we worked out the math and are comfortable that we have enough bandwidth without any external help.  And the seedboxes are all spread out with different services and geographically to avoid single points of failure.  And even if they do all go down, armory will detect slow downloading and revert to using regular P2P.

I hardcoded  max upload speed and upload connections to zero.  Further, the torrent engine shuts down after it's done and doesn't even start if it detects a built Bitcoin core database.  Lastly, if you still don't want it, you can run with --disable-torrent to not even try.  I think I added a settings option, too. 

And if you're really scared for whatever reason, you can actually remove the entire BitTornado directory and Armory will run fine with out it.  It will simply let Bitcoin core download over P2P.

As you can probably tell, I was pretty careful to cover all our bases :-)

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: