Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 03:52:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [PULL] add parameter [from] to listtransactions (JSON-RPC)  (Read 1599 times)
CAFxX (OP)

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2011, 05:34:05 PM
Last edit: April 16, 2011, 02:53:48 PM by CAFxX

I wrote a patch (already on github) that adds the [from=0] parameter to the listtransaction rpc command. Right now this command returns the most recent transactions in the range [0, count). With my patch it returns the most recent transactions in the range [from, from+count). Since from defaults to 0 if it is not supplied, this change should be backward compatible.
The rationale for the change is that in this way a frontend/UI doesn't have to store locally the whole list of transactions, but can query directly the range that needs to be displayed.

Pull request: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/160
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CAFxX (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2011, 02:53:05 PM

bump   Undecided
xf2_org

Activity: 98
Merit: 13

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 04:39:33 PM

1) This breaks the API, which makes it unlikely to be accepted as-is.

2) It is such a small amount of information, I do not see the difficulty in querying up to max-count.

CAFxX (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2011, 04:45:05 PM

No it doesn't. Existing queries will keep on working (as explained in the first post).

2) It is such a small amount of information, I do not see the difficulty in querying up to max-count.
As it is today if i have thousands of transactions and want to view the oldest one I have to get (and store) all the transactions. Think what might happen if my wallet wasn't stored locally... it would mean getting MBs (potentially over slow connections) every single time!
xf2_org

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 04:57:35 PM

No it doesn't. Existing queries will keep on working (as explained in the first post).

It is not 100% backwards compatible.

As it is today if i have thousands of transactions and want to view the oldest one I have to get (and store) all the transactions. Think what might happen if my wallet wasn't stored locally... it would mean getting MBs (potentially over slow connections) every single time!
[/quote]

Even with thousands of transactions, that is not many bytes, certainly not "MBs."

CAFxX (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2011, 05:25:03 PM
Last edit: April 17, 2011, 08:26:41 AM by CAFxX

It is not 100% backwards compatible.
The only case this could "break compatibility" is if someone had been passing a third numeric parameter to listtransactions. Sorry to say but avoiding breaking API misuse doesn't count as backwards compatibility.

Even with thousands of transactions, that is not many bytes, certainly not "MBs."
From what I can see in the source code in rpc.cpp each transaction is likely using more than 100 bytes. Let's assume conservatively it's just 100 bytes: then it would be 1MB per 10k transactions.
CAFxX (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2011, 05:35:34 PM
Last edit: April 17, 2011, 08:24:52 AM by CAFxX

From what I can see in the source code in rpc.cpp each transaction is likely using more than 100 bytes. Let's assume conservatively it's just 100 bytes: then it would be 1MB per 10k transactions.
Better yet: this page shows example listtransactions outputs. They're about 250 bytes long (this figure excludes the comments). This means 1MB roughly every 4000 transactions. This figure is way lower if comments are included in transactions. So, as I said, "MBs".
Gavin Andresen
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2011, 02:09:14 PM

It always bothered me that the MySQL's SELECT... LIMIT statement could skip records if the database was changing between calls, but that doesn't seem to bother anybody else.

This patch is very much like MySQL LIMIT, is needed for the same reason (paging through results efficiently in a GUI), is backwards compatible, and looks good to me.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
xf2_org

View Profile
April 18, 2011, 08:05:13 PM

I stand corrected -- no backwards compat issues.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: