Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:50:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How Can We Protect This Domain From Being Seized?  (Read 2978 times)
gigabytecoin (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 252

View Profile
April 15, 2011, 07:29:36 PM

Re: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/29/news-views-gossip/reuters-full-tilt-poker-pokerstars-absolute-poker-charged-illegal-gambling-1020606/

This is getting serious.

Can't see it on my internet connection yet but judging from the 30 pages of replies in the last hour I think it's legit.
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 15, 2011, 07:35:02 PM

Develop BitDNS?

In any case, there's probably no way to prevent bitcoin from being seized. HOWEVER, if they dare to seize the bitcoin domain, they will end up giving us lot of publicity.

tomcollins

Activity: 182
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 15, 2011, 07:39:06 PM

Develop BitDNS?

In any case, there's probably no way to prevent bitcoin from being seized. HOWEVER, if they dare to seize the bitcoin domain, they will end up giving us lot of publicity.

It's not that hard to find a different domain, put everything there.
gigabytecoin (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 252

View Profile
April 15, 2011, 07:58:18 PM

Develop BitDNS?

It's not that hard to find a different domain, put everything there.

I don't think it works that way.

If they seize bitcoin.org - sure we will receive some publicity - but the public lacks attention, and when they cannot view our domain and have no idea what was there before they will lose interest quicker than your investment portfolio in the last market crash.

Once they seize it, we're never coming back.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 15, 2011, 08:00:49 PM

I don't think it works that way.

If they seize bitcoin.org - sure we will receive some publicity - but the public lacks attention, and when they cannot view our domain and have no idea what was there before they will lose interest quicker than your investment portfolio in the last market crash.

Once they seize it, we're never coming back.
Not everyone is a bunch of dumb brick. The community will still be here and we'll get the words out.

grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
April 15, 2011, 08:02:40 PM

Bitcoin doesn't really need the website to function, nor does it need this forum.

Anyway, there will always be the wikipedia page.   I dare the US government to try having a wikipedia article closed.

And as a replacement for the forum, there will be IRC until an other hosting solution is found.

mewantsbitcoins

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 15, 2011, 08:26:09 PM

I believe this problem is being addressed as it is becoming a real issue in p2p community. Temporary solution is here: http://torrentfreak.com/firefox-add-on-undoes-u-s-government-domain-seizures-110414/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Torrentfreak+%28Torrentfreak%29
purplezky

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2011, 08:30:57 PM

another solution: the deICEr  Grin
http://www.hm2k.com/posts/find-the-ip-address-of-a-seized-website
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
April 15, 2011, 08:34:58 PM

Yeah, good idea in case only the DNS is seized.

Also, just ping bitcoin.org to get its IP (174.143.149.98) and add this to your /etc/hosts file:

174.143.149.98      bitcoin.org

And that's it.

That's not a solution if they also seize the server itself, though.

Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2011, 09:34:40 PM

At this point a lot of people are tech savvy but pretty soon you'll be dealing with people that are used to Facebook for the internet and not much else, maybe email.
These people are the ones you lose. My mom can't connect to WIFI I doubt she's going to look up the IP address or anything like that.
Of course she would assume Bitcoin is evil if the gov shut down the site so it doesn't matter really.

moneyandtech.com
@moneyandtech @jeredkenna
khal

Activity: 540
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2011, 09:49:49 PM

There is also dot p2p :
http://dot-p2p.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

It's a top level domain which aim is to be distributed with p2p :p
dishwara
Legendary

Activity: 1855
Merit: 1016

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 12:42:25 AM

We are MAKING money here, is it tough to get domain names in all countries ?

Also their are other domain names like info, even the now famous xxx.

If US seize, only they get fooled & will give us bursting publicity as wikileaks got.
Actually, i came to know bitcoin only due to US domain seizing wikileak, in an article it was posted as they seizing .com, what if they already controlling with USD & try to pull plug, to avoid that a new decentralized virtual currency created by Satoshi Nakamoto blah blah.........

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/213230/could_the_wikileaks_scandal_lead_to_new_virtual_currency.html

So fear not about pulling plug, coz some one immediately PUT the plug.

If not US may try other methods.

"We pull the plug, No The oracle told me that I would have to make a choice." - THE Matrix
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1128

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 10:31:55 AM

When WikiLeaks lost their domain name due to DoS attacks they simply relocated it to Switzerland. Domain names aren't as significant as they once were because people find things through search engines instead. I doubt anyone has had trouble locating WikiLeaks despite their movement between domain names because Google was always pointing to the right place. If BitCoin had to become bitcoin.ch for some reason, all major search engines would figure out the change within hours.
compro01

Activity: 590
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 08:31:11 PM

yes, as many ccTLDs have presence or citizenship requirements.  For example, to get a .ca domain, you need to either live in Canada or be a corporation operating in Canada.
dishwara
Legendary

Activity: 1855
Merit: 1016

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 08:49:25 PM

yes, as many ccTLDs have presence or citizenship requirements.  For example, to get a .ca domain, you need to either live in Canada or be a corporation operating in Canada.
I am in India, if needed i buy domain name, .co.in for bitcoin.
What you thinking? Bitcoin is not used by single person, It WILL be the currency of world & all the members here are from not one country, but countries all around the world & every one can buy a domain name in his country.
PHPAdam

Activity: 42

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 09:59:54 PM

To protect the domains from being taken, its easy you switch now to one out of USA control. Such as .eu
You then redirect all domains to that, so it has little negative effect now and in the long run it removes the immediate danger.

Owner could also login to google webmasters (and such) and click the "change of domain" tab and more or less instantly change all search engine listings to a new .eu domain.
Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2011, 11:08:28 PM

To protect the domains from being taken, its easy you switch now to one out of USA control. Such as .eu
You then redirect all domains to that, so it has little negative effect now and in the long run it removes the immediate danger.

Owner could also login to google webmasters (and such) and click the "change of domain" tab and more or less instantly change all search engine listings to a new .eu domain.

Couldn't the US get a .EU shut down easy enough? Seems like they reach outside what should be the limits all the time.

moneyandtech.com
@moneyandtech @jeredkenna
mewantsbitcoins

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 17, 2011, 12:11:10 AM

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Root_nameserver#Root_server_supervision
PHPAdam

Activity: 42

View Profile
April 17, 2011, 12:47:53 AM

Couldn't the US get a .EU shut down easy enough? Seems like they reach outside what should be the limits all the time.
I did say "immediate" danger, but yes they could for USA (& dependent) shut it down locally, the rest of the world would be fine. Which means with VPN/Proxy/Tunnels you can still access.
It would be a big step into EU territory which will them think twice and EU would not be happy.

I guess the real world example is http://pokerstars.com is dead, but long live http://pokerstars.eu
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1128

View Profile
April 17, 2011, 08:24:40 AM

I don't think it's worth worrying about this until there are real examples of sites being erased entirely from DNS. WikiLeaks has angered the USG far more than pretty much any other website out there, but there were no attempts made to take it down or seize its domains. When it did move from .org it was due to DoS attacks not legal seizure.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: