Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:55:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why bitcoin is currently (Jan 16th) crashing and why it may continue  (Read 5889 times)
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 17, 2012, 08:44:37 PM

Actually, numbers have been posted.  The bitcoin episode only had 9.3 million viewers... the Golden Globe awards and Packers vs. Giants pulled off a lot of normal viewers.  Still, if 5% are interested enough to join us, that is 465k people.  If we let those 465k people have all the bitcoins that currently exist, they can only have 17 each.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 17, 2012, 08:46:38 PM

About ~1600 extra downloads yesterday over normal.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/Bitcoin/stats/timeline

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
January 17, 2012, 11:21:44 PM

Consensus opinion so for still seems to be a lot of denial...

"this is bull..."
"I blame bitcoinica"
"could this be the last opportunity to buy bit coins at a great price"

I don't think this sell off marks panic, it was simply an unravelling of the leveraged longs. I think a bunch of them will have been washed out, and i think the rest will be hesitant about jumping straight back in.

Pessimism has yet to grip these boards, and only then will the true panic selloff begin and we can start to think about finding a bottom.

Some of my higher price orders in the 5.xx range have been filled (don't want to be totally committed to my plan and miss out an picking up a few coins in case we simply spike back up) so my long position is starting to creep up.

The bigger orders going down 4,3,2 range still stand, and the longer this goes on the more likely it seems they get filled.

I maintain my belief that we retest $2.20, any lower and I'll need more capital Wink

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
Dutch Merganser

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 12:05:57 AM

Consensus opinion so for still seems to be a lot of denial...

"this is bull..."
"I blame bitcoinica"
"could this be the last opportunity to buy bit coins at a great price"

I don't think this sell off marks panic, it was simply an unravelling of the leveraged longs. I think a bunch of them will have been washed out, and i think the rest will be hesitant about jumping straight back in.

Pessimism has yet to grip these boards, and only then will the true panic selloff begin and we can start to think about finding a bottom.

+1

"Science flies you to the Moon, religion flies you into buildings."
 - Victor Stenger

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and the rulers as useful."
 - Seneca the Elder (ca. 54 BCE - ca. 39 CE) Roman rhetorician
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 09:06:28 AM

I wonder when the manipulator with his ~$250000 AND ~BTC50000 will start playing bitcoinica...  (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=59847.0)

he could directly hammer the price down to $5.85, would this not liquidate a lot of people on bitcoinica? He could then catch all these coins raining down.

I've actually thought about doing just this. Then I thought about the numerous failed attempts at driving the price down by some large holder in previous weeks.

Then again, 50k leveraged at 10:1 would certainly take us to the $4 range, liquidating anyone who went long >$5...

Also, he would be stupid putting $250,000 in bitcoinica. It would clear, everyone else would see the opportunity to cash out, and he would be stuck with the dreaded *BEOD (Bulls-eye of death).

why put it into bitcoinica? I meant that he could dump it right on the gox market.

This is why I thought you meant bitcoinica...
 Undecided

I imagine it would be hard to let it burst from within.

Anyway, now somebody really did it. I should have been prepared better...  Roll Eyes
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: