Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 08:08:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Show some love for Charlie Shrem  (Read 1903 times)
Pentax (OP)

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 01:25:22 AM

Charlie Shrem Formally Pleads Not Guilty to Charges

Eric Calouro
By Eric Calouro
April 29, 2014 15:42

http://newsbtc.com/2014/04/29/charlie-shrem-formally-pleads-guilty-charges/

Here’s an update to the ongoing situation involving Mr. Charlie Shrem, ex-Bitcoin Foundation Vice Chairman and CEO of BitInstant.

Reports indicate that Shrem has formally pleaded not guilty on charges of laundering over $1 million in connection with Silk Road.

Specifically, prosecutors allege that Shrem willingly sold the bitcoins to users who were planning on spending them on the illicit drug marketplace, which was shut down late last year (another version of the Silk Road marketplace was set up about a month later).

The plea was entered through Shrem’s legal counsel on Tuesday in Manhattan Federal Court.

The judge has set a trial date of September 22nd for Shrem’s case.

Shrem was arrested earlier this year at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York City following an appearance at a bitcoin-related event in Amsterdam, Netherlands.

Robert Fiaella, who prosecutors peg as an accomplice, was also arrested at about the same time.

If convicted of the laundering charges (which are the most serious in his particular case), he could spend a maximum of twenty years in prison.

Speaking at a rare in-person appearance at the Tribeca Film Festival during the screening of The Rise and Rise of Bitcoin, Shrem told a crowd of moviegoers that his legal team has found “a lot of mistakes and holes” in the case against him.

Shrem is currently under house arrest at the home of his mother in Brooklyn, New York.
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 01:53:53 AM

Get real, the only reason people are fellating him is because hes big into Bitcoin. He could kill a family and everyone would still suck his d*ck because OMG CHARLIE <3s BITCOIN SO HE GETS A PASS

maybe people have their reasons for thinking he's being turned into a scapegoat or that he's being prosecuted on things that big banks did on a massive scale while the whole world turned a blind eye, and for which none of those folks ended up in front of judge, thus making this prosecution pretty hypocritical.

He's no saint, but he does not seem to be getting a fair shake in our justice system relative to others who walked off on far worse without so much as a day picking up garbage.  

you may disagree, which is fine, although that doesn't change my opinion, mainly because you are seemingly just running a drive by to get a quick self-stroke out of pissing on other people's opinions

Which is true, there are a lot of Wall St types that need to be in jail right now. But some people getting away with this kind of stuff isn't grounds for letting everyone get away with it, hypocritical or not.

Get away with WHAT?!?

Silk Road was a MARKETPLACE. There were completely legal items on sale there in addition to any "illegal" ones, which by the way were probably of a safer quality than street drugs due to the seller feedback system. It's not up to Charlie to check how people spend their money. He himself wasn't selling anything illegal.

Meanwhile HSBC bank's compliance officer (Charlie is in trouble as compliance officer, since he was head of his company) simply stepped down after a probe found HSBC enabled money laundering to drug cartels and terrorists. What warped world do you live in where you think that's in any way balanced logic?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-07-16/hsbc-aided-money-laundering-by-iran-drug-cartels-probe-shows.html
durrrr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 02:39:11 AM

carlie sheen is a bad ass and did coke by the brick. and fucked hookers that costed 20-40k a night. shits crazy and staight ballin . hes boss

Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2014, 02:46:17 AM

Thanks everyone for your support today!  Grin

- Charlie (not Sheen) Shrem

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2014, 02:53:52 AM

Charlie Sheen AND Emilio Eztevez in the same thread! WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2014, 02:56:23 AM

Charlie Shrem Formally Pleads Not Guilty to Charges

Eric Calouro
By Eric Calouro
April 29, 2014 15:42

http://newsbtc.com/2014/04/29/charlie-shrem-formally-pleads-guilty-charges/

Here’s an update to the ongoing situation involving Mr. Charlie Shrem, ex-Bitcoin Foundation Vice Chairman and CEO of BitInstant.

Reports indicate that Shrem has formally pleaded not guilty on charges of laundering over $1 million in connection with Silk Road.

Specifically, prosecutors allege that Shrem willingly sold the bitcoins to users who were planning on spending them on the illicit drug marketplace, which was shut down late last year (another version of the Silk Road marketplace was set up about a month later).

The plea was entered through Shrem’s legal counsel on Tuesday in Manhattan Federal Court.

The judge has set a trial date of September 22nd for Shrem’s case.

Shrem was arrested earlier this year at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York City following an appearance at a bitcoin-related event in Amsterdam, Netherlands.

Robert Fiaella, who prosecutors peg as an accomplice, was also arrested at about the same time.

If convicted of the laundering charges (which are the most serious in his particular case), he could spend a maximum of twenty years in prison.

Speaking at a rare in-person appearance at the Tribeca Film Festival during the screening of The Rise and Rise of Bitcoin, Shrem told a crowd of moviegoers that his legal team has found “a lot of mistakes and holes” in the case against him.

Shrem is currently under house arrest at the home of his mother in Brooklyn, New York.

I thought it was following an appearance at the Miami conference, not Amsterdam.
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2014, 03:01:32 AM

I thought it was following an appearance at the Miami conference, not Amsterdam.

I was arrested when I landed in NYC from Amsterdam

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 03:58:20 AM

Thanks everyone for your support today!  Grin

- Charlie (not Sheen) Shrem

I hope your case gets thrown out on the first day of the trial.
Best wishes.

keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 05:02:35 AM

What does it mean?? You know what does it mean? Or you want to know? Smiley

Anyway Sheen, Shreen Smiley what the difference...  Grin

Well the main difference that stands out is that Shrem profited from the sale of drugs, where as Sheen just does them all himself.
counter

Activity: 798

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 05:09:16 AM

Get real, the only reason people are fellating him is because hes big into Bitcoin. He could kill a family and everyone would still suck his d*ck because OMG CHARLIE <3s BITCOIN SO HE GETS A PASS

I, for one, would have no problem exposing ANY Bitcoiner in the higher hierarchy. Case in point, speaking about sucking dick, Brock Pierce, who's planning on overseeing the new Mt Gox, was accused and jailed for the same thing that Bruce Wagner was accused of, but never charged or jailed. The pressure was so overwhelming at the time that BW opted to leave the community. Now, we're embracing (no pun intended) some dude that's 10s Xs worst in re. the same accusations, not to mentions how he reneged in paying his partner millions while now in bed (figuratively, I'm sure) with one of his ex-rivals who, BTW, is part of the Save Mt Gox makeup (not sure if pun intended or not).

I bet we all can't wait for the day when we overhear strangers talking about a paedo- running that Bitcoin funny money exchange. Don't think for a second it won't happen. Far-fetched? Well, remember those who don't like to use the word fuck penned "Duck Mt Gox!"? Guess what? It happened!

And, you thought Mt Gox I was a laughing stock, wait till you get your fill of K2.

That actuaylly makes me think of the kind of articles that could already be in the works months to come.  I do appreciate the info you shared seems like something should consider if this guys record is poor.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 06:16:54 AM

What does it mean?? You know what does it mean? Or you want to know? Smiley

Anyway Sheen, Shreen Smiley what the difference...  Grin

Well the main difference that stands out is that Shrem profited from the sale of drugs, where as Sheen just does them all himself.

Mr. Shrem profited from the sale of BTC, not drugs.

counter

Activity: 798

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 06:56:18 AM

I think it will be a tough case but the chances are there will be a deal made or he may walk who knows.
Dannie
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 07:21:41 AM

I think it will be a tough case but the chances are there will be a deal made or he may walk who knows.

And that's why he wants us to pray for him. Smiley

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: