Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:14:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: It happened! (TIME/tech)  (Read 7522 times)
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 06:53:08 AM

I'd like to emphasize a bit about how wrong it is to call bitcoin a private currency.

Bitcoin is certainly not private.  Sure, it is not organised by the government, nor it is protected by the use of so-called public force.  But it is not private either.

Bitcoin is much more public than any national currency.  I don't even have to explain why.  It is obvious enough.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
matonis

Activity: 303
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2011, 08:53:25 AM

I'd like to emphasize a bit about how wrong it is to call bitcoin a private currency.

Bitcoin is certainly not private.  Sure, it is not organised by the government, nor it is protected by the use of so-called public force.  But it is not private either.

Bitcoin is much more public than any national currency.  I don't even have to explain why.  It is obvious enough.

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree in the public nature of an open-source cryptocurrency (it is a good point).  The Atlantic piece wasn't the best article and a lot of my better points weren't even used.  I had no idea of the article's title while being interviewed.  Actually, I was addressing his question about Facebook Credits (which are a private currency). He seemed to confuse private currencies with digital cash and cryptocurrencies, not to mention the differences between an e-gold ledger-based system and the decentralised nature of signed RPOWs to prevent double spending. Still better to participate in the article then turn it down, which is what I did for the Colby Adams request.

Founding Director, Bitcoin Foundation
I also cover the bitcoin economy for Forbes, American Banker, PaymentsSource, and CoinDesk.
Bimmerhead
Legendary

Activity: 1291
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 02:35:20 PM

Here is the Time.com article:

http://techland.time.com/2011/04/16/online-cash-bitcoin-could-challenge-governments/
allinvain
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2011, 03:17:22 PM

Sweet!! first online...next in the printed version! let's hope!

Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2011, 03:23:20 PM

Thats a pretty good article, doesn't go too much into detail on the technical side (thus not getting bogged down).

I'm a little afraid now, this is the first step to bitcoin going mainstream. I feel like I'm in the first car in a rollercoaster, right at the top of the highest drop, looking down. I know it's going to be ok, and we've worked to get to this point, but it's still scary.

Hold on for a wild ride.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
allinvain
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2011, 03:26:40 PM

Thats a pretty good article, doesn't go too much into detail on the technical side (thus not getting bogged down).

I'm a little afraid now, this is the first step to bitcoin going mainstream. I feel like I'm in the first car in a rollercoaster, right at the top of the highest drop, looking down. I know it's going to be ok, and we've worked to get to this point, but it's still scary.

Hold on for a wild ride.

I am very excited actually. Let's remain positive, do our best to educate the new members of the bitcoin economy, and stick together!

spenvo (OP)

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2011, 03:37:24 PM

I picked a hell of a weekend to go on a road trip.

*shakes his head in frustration*

At least I'm on a road trip. 

www.SpreadtheCoin.com - Free Printable Bitcoin Certificates.  A Transparent Company.

www.BitcoinBulletin.com - Reviews and Interviews.
BioMike
Legendary

Activity: 1658
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 03:58:56 PM

Very nice article.
Matt Corallo

Activity: 755
Merit: 515

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 04:00:48 PM

Hold on for a wild ride.
Totally agree, heres to hoping we don't get a ton of media attention and everyone decides we don't have the infrastructure yet so we get left.

Bitcoin Core, rust-lightning, http://bitcoinfibre.org etc.
PGP ID: 07DF 3E57 A548 CCFB 7530  7091 89BB B866 3E2E65CE
jerryb

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2011, 04:02:52 PM

Hi folks,

My name is Jerry Brito and I'm the author of the TIME piece. I'm glad you guys seem to like it. I'd appreciate any other feedback you may have. I've also blogged about Bitcoin in relation to yesterday's poker domain seizures here:

http://techliberation.com/2011/04/16/bitcoin-imagine-a-net-without-intermediaries/

Let me know what you think. Also, I host a podcast called Surprisingly Free (http://surprisinglyfree.com) and on next week's show Gavin Andresen will be my guest.

Anyhow, I just wanted to introduce myself and tell you that since I heard about Bitcoin a couple of months ago, I've been very excited about it. I'm an academic researcher focusing on tech policy and I teach at GMU Law. I'm hoping to begin to dedicate some of my research time to the legal issues around bitcoin, so you'll hopefully see me around these parts more often.

Cheers,
Jerry
Cryptoman

Activity: 726
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 04:06:40 PM

Welcome, and thanks for the great article!

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 04:11:20 PM

Welcome, and thanks for the great article!
Agree, it’s well written. Welcome, good to have you on board.
w8ks6

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 04:34:41 PM

Sweet...

Dude...

http://www.hulu.com/watch/12169/dude-wheres-my-car-dude-sweet

stakhanov

Activity: 175
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 04:55:04 PM

The article has been linked on reddit, if you want to comment:

http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/grj0s/online_cash_bitcoin_could_challenge_governments/
http://www.reddit.com/r/Economics/comments/grhba/online_cash_bitcoin_could_challenge_governments/
spenvo (OP)

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2011, 04:56:15 PM

@ Brito -  It was a very well written article that focused on the useful qualities of bitcoin as a medium of exchange. Because of its properties as a store of value, discussions in a public forum all too often devolve into politicized shouting matches.  Thank you.

www.SpreadtheCoin.com - Free Printable Bitcoin Certificates.  A Transparent Company.

www.BitcoinBulletin.com - Reviews and Interviews.
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 07:19:01 PM

Personnaly, I just whish I had bought more bitcoins.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Let me know what you think.

First: great article! thanks.

There are two common inaccuracies, though:

• "all transactions are completely free"
  • "transactions are instantaneous"

I would love if someone came up with something sounding just as positive while being true.

"transactions _can_ be free, but if the amount is small and the transaction's inputs are not old, you might have to pay a small fee to get it through fast enough" just doesn't cut it marketing-wise Sad

If someone could come up with a nice way to put it without being inaccurate I would be happy.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 08:14:18 PM

Hi folks,

My name is Jerry Brito and I'm the author of the TIME piece. I'm glad you guys seem to like it. I'd appreciate any other feedback you may have. I've also blogged about Bitcoin in relation to yesterday's poker domain seizures here:

http://techliberation.com/2011/04/16/bitcoin-imagine-a-net-without-intermediaries/

Let me know what you think. Also, I host a podcast called Surprisingly Free (http://surprisinglyfree.com) and on next week's show Gavin Andresen will be my guest.

Anyhow, I just wanted to introduce myself and tell you that since I heard about Bitcoin a couple of months ago, I've been very excited about it. I'm an academic researcher focusing on tech policy and I teach at GMU Law. I'm hoping to begin to dedicate some of my research time to the legal issues around bitcoin, so you'll hopefully see me around these parts more often.

Cheers,
Jerry

Major props for a very good article. I really liked the fact that you didn't focus too deeply on the technicalities and instead went for explaining the principles which IMO are way more important. n1

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2011, 09:25:44 PM

Good article, looking forward to more of them.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 09:33:45 PM

Now this is the kind of interesting, ahead-of-the-crowd, investigative journalism Time has been sorely lacking.

Well done, good instincts.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: