Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 11:34:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GPU mining endgame scenario  (Read 1121 times)
Scrapper89 (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 11:30:47 AM

Dear all,

I wanted to pose a bit out of topic question to fellow miners & GPU mining-farm owners.

Now, with asic's already jumping on scrypt pools and GPU farms yielding low (<50%, unless you have free electricity) yearly ROI, I start to think of end-game scenarios for GPU mining.
What will you do when the profit is down to 0% (earnings=cost of electricity)?

A) Sell your hardware? Buyers won't be queing up, since the cards were heavily abused...
B) Start a GPGPU/ OpenCL & CUDA compute cluster? - Limited application as gaming cards are slow with double precision arithmetics. On the other hand TFLOP-wise these cards are sick fast on single-precision when compared to the price of Tesla hardware...
C) Start a 3d-render farm? - Does anyone even use these things? Movie companies have their own and complain that double-precision is not even enough for them and they use CPU farms.

D) Another (viable) option is to set-up a remote gaming service, allow people to play games on your high-end gpus. There are a bunch of commercial systems (e.g. Onlive), most of them suffer from internet lags, so your small farm could be a better option for your neighbors who are geographically nearby. But again - software (exists, open source and others), game licenses...

What do you think/plan?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
powersup

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 01:12:40 PM

Dear all,

I wanted to pose a bit out of topic question to fellow miners & GPU mining-farm owners.

Now, with asic's already jumping on scrypt pools and GPU farms yielding low (<50%, unless you have free electricity) yearly ROI, I start to think of end-game scenarios for GPU mining.
What will you do when the profit is down to 0% (earnings=cost of electricity)?

A) Sell your hardware? Buyers won't be queing up, since the cards were heavily abused...
B) Start a GPGPU/ OpenCL & CUDA compute cluster? - Limited application as gaming cards are slow with double precision arithmetics. On the other hand TFLOP-wise these cards are sick fast on single-precision when compared to the price of Tesla hardware...
C) Start a 3d-render farm? - Does anyone even use these things? Movie companies have their own and complain that double-precision is not even enough for them and they use CPU farms.

D) Another (viable) option is to set-up a remote gaming service, allow people to play games on your high-end gpus. There are a bunch of commercial systems (e.g. Onlive), most of them suffer from internet lags, so your small farm could be a better option for your neighbors who are geographically nearby. But again - software (exists, open source and others), game licenses...

What do you think/plan?

Endgame for GPU not even close.  I dont know why so many GPU rig owners believe this is the case.

try a different algo: X11, X13, Scrypt-N just to name a few.  Do some research and you will soon find these equally if not more profitable then vanilla script coins.
Equate

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 01:38:33 PM

If you know which coin to mine and your electricity is cheap , GPU mining is still profitable.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: