Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:49:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC Fractals.  (Read 4671 times)
chessnut (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 01:22:13 AM
Last edit: May 02, 2014, 03:35:35 AM by chessnut

As an EW analyst I went to the effort of making this illustration of fractals, if not only because some might find it interesting to see. I do not mean for it to be predictive, because by large it is retrospective.

"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
zoinky

Activity: 811
Merit: 1000

Web Developer

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 01:55:48 AM

Shocked
JustAnotherSheep

Activity: 239
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 02:10:07 AM

Indeed, it is fascinating. And it is all the more fascinating when you consider the fact that price can essentially be seen as a visualized output of thought and sentiment on a mass scale.

Tells you a lot about the workings of our minds, especially when put in groups.

Is it a bull? Is it a bear? No, it's just another sheep.
tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1076

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 07:26:40 AM

As an EW analyst I went to the effort of making this illustration of fractals, if not only because some might find it interesting to see. I do not mean for it to be predictive, because by large it is retrospective.

I noticed a self-similar pattern when looking at the all-time chart on bitcoinaverage.com  the other day.  Truly fascinating.  I think that fractals are a hallmark of naturalistic data---including socilogical/behavorial data in mass-systems.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2014, 08:37:58 AM

to da moon!!!

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 02:30:08 PM

I have a lot of Fiat sitting around... dear lord it's tempting to throw a bunch at BTC.. humz..
Alonzo Ewing
Legendary

Activity: 1040

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 09:01:29 PM

Are you saying that the part inside the box looks like what follows?

Or are you saying that the part inside the box looks like the whole?
chessnut (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 10:03:22 PM
Last edit: May 01, 2014, 10:36:11 PM by chessnut

Are you saying that the part inside the box looks like what follows?

Or are you saying that the part inside the box looks like the whole?

the part in the box looks like the whole and vice versa. There are two other fractals within the whole that look like the whole, the I wave and the V wave (although 'I' is messy). Same for every fractal, down to (i) scale.

I am using the III wave as an example because III waves are always the best defined of all waves.

pinksheep

Activity: 196

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 10:59:29 PM

Can someone explain what a fractal is?

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 11:04:50 PM

Its a mathematical term for self similar functions. They hold similar patterns at different resolutions.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
bananaControl

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Decentralize All The Things!

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 11:12:15 PM

You might have heard about the Mandelbrot set, it gives you a clear visual idea about what fractals are.
pinksheep

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 11:14:52 PM

I haven't but googling it right now Smiley

PRIMEDICE
chessnut (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 11:16:07 PM

http://fractalfoundation.org/resources/what-are-fractals/

the moving illustrations show it best  Wink

pinksheep

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 11:18:21 PM

Thanks chessnut, I'll have a look at that now Smiley

PRIMEDICE
Alonzo Ewing
Legendary

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 11:50:02 PM

This is fairly mind-blowing.  I started to see this in DanV's video.  Actually, I saw the "mother" and child" before I saw his video but his video crystallized the idea.  I just went to bitcoinwisdom and pulled up Huobi's charts (since it has the most liquidity) and even on 15 min, 5 min, and 1 min timescales I see the same pattern as in the top post repeat numerous times as I scroll to the left.
chessnut (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 03:28:28 AM
Last edit: May 02, 2014, 03:46:31 AM by chessnut

but it gets even bigger than that.

Krabby

Activity: 644

https://primedao.eth.link/#/

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 04:56:52 AM

Why would this happen?

██████████
                   ████████████
                 ██████████████
               ████████████████
             ██████████████████
██████████           ██████████          ██████████
██████████           █████████           ██████████
██████████           ███████     ██████████████████
██████████████████████████     ████████████████████
████████████████████████     ██████████████████████
██████████████████████     ████████████████████████
████████████████████     ██████████████████████████
██████████████████     ███████           ██████████
██████████           █████████           ██████████
██████████          ██████████           ██████████
                    ██████████████████
                    ████████████████
                    ██████████████
                    ████████████
                    ██████████
PrimeDAO - An Adoption Engine for Open Finance
chessnut (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 05:01:45 AM

Why would this happen?

It is an EW discussion not a FA, but the fundamentals are always merky none he less. plenty of factors that could drive bitcoin higher, and lower.

Alonzo Ewing
Legendary

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 01:32:20 AM

To me it looks like the current action does not match the previously repeating fractal pattern.  If I had to guess, the underlying action of the market is changing into a new one.
chessnut (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 01:43:35 AM

To me it looks like the current action does not match the previously repeating fractal pattern.  If I had to guess, the underlying action of the market is changing into a new one.

yep in EW every fractal begins and ends a possible juncture. it's an opportunity for a previous or smaller fractal/s to express themselves in alternation creating only self similar properties.

gogxmagog
Legendary

Merit: 1009

Ad maiora!

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 04:46:57 AM

Could you use this for prediction? My caveman brain sees it always going down (smaller price)
The most I know about fractals is stuff stoned hippies have told me at raves.
It's like the golden mean in art design isn't it? Of course, that would mean everything is constantly being reduced?
Trippy none the less.
chessnut (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 04:57:56 AM

Could you use this for prediction? My caveman brain sees it always going down (smaller price)
The most I know about fractals is stuff stoned hippies have told me at raves.
It's like the golden mean in art design isn't it? Of course, that would mean everything is constantly being reduced?
Trippy none the less.

I posted a second chart. did you see that one? very significant.

basically fractals are self similar, not identical. Of coarse we cannot see the future 100% using patterns on charts, this is just the way that natural forces resolve in a liquid market, in fractals. the most important thing about EW analysis/fractals are the junctures they offer. if you can identify an exact point of price/time where your expectations will be met/broken, then your trades will have a very high risk reward ratio, and you will be able to handle the stress of trading more mechanically. when the junctures are obviously related to fundamental events and panic sell offs etc, these junctures have fundamental significance, and should indicate reversals where they are seen. 339 is a prime example of an large impulsive wave terminating after panic selling. I bought at 355 when I saw this, not knowing what the future would bring, but simply knowing that the panic was over.

gogxmagog
Legendary

Ad maiora!

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 05:05:07 AM

Ok, I vaguely get it, I think...
The charts would make more sense with a detailed legend.
I'm no math.

Intriguing enough for me to do some independant research though.

Thanks for this  Smiley

Edit- oddly enough, just before I saw your thread, I was just remarking that the (general) mood (sentiment)across bitcointalk has noticeably taken a turn towards more positive compared to the gloom of the last couple weeks. Bullish?
chessnut (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 05:25:35 AM

Edit- oddly enough, just before I saw your thread, I was just remarking that the (general) mood (sentiment)across bitcointalk has noticeably taken a turn towards more positive compared to the gloom of the last couple weeks. Bullish?

sentiment works like this - imagine everyone who is subject to craze buys the item subject to craze. At the point where the maximum amount of those people have bought, the price will be pushed up very high because of the demand they cause. However, having just bought that thing you are likely convinced for some reason or another that it will increase further in value. so when a price of something is at an extreme, an ATH, and a LOT of people are very bullish, that means that most demand is already expressed, and the slightest of supply to that market will cripple it (it will crash).
we are at a bottom extreme, and imo most people still think they are in for some 'cheap coins'. that is bullish. today, the sentiment is turning slightly more bullish, but this is not a sufficient contrary indicator because we are not near a bullish extreme. in this case, it is a good thing - people are realising that this is not the apocalypse.

gogxmagog
Legendary

Ad maiora!

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 05:32:58 AM

I would also like to see same type of charting applied to internet adoption. I'm fascinated but I'll silent now and let the people who know what they're talking about speak.

Good work bro
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 05:33:17 AM

For every wave marked 1, 3,or 5, there are 5 smaller waves making it up. For each of those 1, 3, and 5, there are 5 smaller waves making it up. etc...etc...etc

chessnut (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 05:40:15 AM

I would also like to see same type of charting applied to internet adoption. I'm fascinated but I'll silent now and let the people who know what they're talking about speak.

Good work bro

cheers, no problem.
I'd like to see a complete chart of the internet but I dont think there is one chart that represents the internet as charts may represent bitcoin. There's RyNinDaClem, authority on EW around here. that graph is a better illustration of fractals than bitcoin has to provide, but nice to compare the two.

RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 12:47:16 PM
Last edit: May 10, 2014, 01:01:01 PM by RyNinDaCleM

It's not exact, but it is very close. It's a bit smaller in scale, so it may not challenge the $339 low, but this could play out.

Oh, and the counting is not for EW purposes. It's just to show the similarities.

Edit:
For the sake of argument, 13 waves is impulsive. 11 is not

Alonzo Ewing
Legendary

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 03:18:15 AM

Looks like fractal pattern might be holding after all, but with a variation.  If so, a near-term might be happening in the next day or two.
JustAnotherSheep

Activity: 239

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 04:46:47 AM

that is bullish. today, the sentiment is turning slightly more bullish, but this is not a sufficient contrary indicator because we are not near a bullish extreme. in this case, it is a good thing - people are realising that this is not the apocalypse.
I would argue for the contrary, that this is not bullish but possibly even bearish, as the general herd of people need to feel that this is, in fact, the apocalypse before a true bottom can be reached.

In other words we need far more hodlers to pull a Veronica Cheesy

Is it a bull? Is it a bear? No, it's just another sheep.
bitcoinsrus

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 10:19:03 AM

that is bullish. today, the sentiment is turning slightly more bullish, but this is not a sufficient contrary indicator because we are not near a bullish extreme. in this case, it is a good thing - people are realising that this is not the apocalypse.
I would argue for the contrary, that this is not bullish but possibly even bearish, as the general herd of people need to feel that this is, in fact, the apocalypse before a true bottom can be reached.

In other words we need far more hodlers to pull a Veronica Cheesy

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 06:42:28 PM

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
gogxmagog
Legendary

Ad maiora!

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 11:26:51 PM

fractals work with an element of randomness as well, do they not? Chaos theory and all that? I'm waaaaay out of my depth here, but the loose understanding I have of fractal science suggests that they are not useful as indicators of future movements, i.e. they may go up, down or sideways, depending on a myriad of external factors. (?)

jeez, this EROWID science stuff...I'm just digging myself deeper (derper)
chessnut (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 06:04:33 AM

fractals work with an element of randomness as well, do they not? Chaos theory and all that? I'm waaaaay out of my depth here, but the loose understanding I have of fractal science suggests that they are not useful as indicators of future movements, i.e. they may go up, down or sideways, depending on a myriad of external factors. (?)

jeez, this EROWID science stuff...I'm just digging myself deeper (derper)

it's all about the market conditions. on a quiet day when nothing is fundamentally changing the free market can be effectively random, yet also retrospectively move in fractals. But, for example after an important news release a lot of people may panic sell. this will cause a wave that has natural limits. when the wave is complete, it will have formed a complete fractal system. using fractals we can pinpoint a high confidence entry. The best real example of this is the 339 low, It gave a very impressive entry using EW analysis. I got on at 355 as soon as I realised.

I do tend to disagree that the market is random. Global Liquid markets inevitably cause wave action. just like global weather systems. the waves that roll up onto the beach are always regular wavelength and consistent amplitude, yet they are the harmonic result of uncountable random events at sea.

tspacepilot
Legendary

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 10:54:25 PM

Everything in nature is fractal, from leaves on a tree to the clouds in the sky. The Bitcoin market is part of nature, it is controlled by a mass of human beings and is organic in nature. It is no surprise it has fractal qualities. However these fractals probably aren't very good for accurate predictions.

However, there have been 3 big pump and dumps for Bitcoin, these are also likely fractal in nature, and are a good prediction there will be more large pump and dumps in the future http://www.usacryptocoins.com/thecryptocurrencytimes/uncategorized/the-past-and-future-of-bitcoins-price/

Can you say a bit more about these pump-n-dumps?  I'm into the fractal thing (the main topic of this thread), but as a side note, who's been doing the pumping?
chessnut (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 12:14:53 AM

Everything in nature is fractal, from leaves on a tree to the clouds in the sky. The Bitcoin market is part of nature, it is controlled by a mass of human beings and is organic in nature. It is no surprise it has fractal qualities. However these fractals probably aren't very good for accurate predictions.

However, there have been 3 big pump and dumps for Bitcoin, these are also likely fractal in nature, and are a good prediction there will be more large pump and dumps in the future http://www.usacryptocoins.com/thecryptocurrencytimes/uncategorized/the-past-and-future-of-bitcoins-price/

That cant be easily generalised. In general free market conditions, a zero sum game is always tough to make money in, fractals or no. But when fractals systems are caused by greater fundamental events, the chart begins to tell a story. If we dont know future events, the second best thing we can know is when the events that have come and gone had their net effect on the market. an unexpected fundamental event will always cause a wave, the wave will unfold in fractals, and sometimes we can see when the fractal system has terminated. 339 low was a prime example.

hellscabane
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 01:40:12 PM

That cant be easily generalised. In general free market conditions, a zero sum game is always tough to make money in, fractals or no. But when fractals systems are caused by greater fundamental events, the chart begins to tell a story. If we dont know future events, the second best thing we can know is when the events that have come and gone had their net effect on the market. an unexpected fundamental event will always cause a wave, the wave will unfold in fractals, and sometimes we can see when the fractal system has terminated. 339 low was a prime example.
That's an excellent explanation, I concur.

Knowing when events come along is the trick. They can happen at any time.
Of course, though, in a way, fractals should give a sort of generalization to the next time there would be a "major event." This is assuming that the we have actually made a pattern that can be part of a fractal. Who says that we've even completed one cycle?
tspacepilot
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 03:14:52 AM

But I thought that market values were exactly *not* a zero-sum game.  Or maybe I'm misunderstanding you somewhere.  Can you elaborate?
chessnut (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 03:55:43 AM

But I thought that market values were exactly *not* a zero-sum game.  Or maybe I'm misunderstanding you somewhere.  Can you elaborate?

there is a finite sum of USD and BTC at any given point, and although that amount may change over time, wealth is not created by printing USD or mining bitcoin. every time someone loses money on the market, somebody makes an equal amount of money on the market, and total USD and BTC in circulation remain the same.

tspacepilot
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 11:38:48 PM

there is a finite sum of USD and BTC at any given point, and although that amount may change over time, wealth is not created by printing USD or mining bitcoin. every time someone loses money on the market, somebody makes an equal amount of money on the market, and total USD and BTC in circulation remain the same.

I understand, the amount of bitcoins under discussion is a zero-sum game. Ie, i give a bitcoin away means I just lost one, there's no creating bitcoins after the21millionth one is mined.  However, the value of a bitcoin isn't directly tied to it's unit.  The value is set by whatever someone is willing to trade for it.  That seems to me to be the opposite of a zero sum game.   Example:

1) I have 0btc, you have 1btc.  for illustration, assume you can buy a pizza at our favorite pizzaria for 1btc
2) You send me 0.5btc.
3) I have 0.5btc, you have 0.5btc   (ok, zero-sum with respect to the number of bitcoins, neither of us can afford 1 pizza)
4) ...time passes..."value" of a bitcoin doubles. (1 pizza now costs 0.5btc)
5) We now each have enough money to buy a pizza.

Am I making sense or am I missing the point somewhere?
bitcoinsrus

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 11:54:25 PM

But I thought that market values were exactly *not* a zero-sum game.  Or maybe I'm misunderstanding you somewhere.  Can you elaborate?

I understand, the amount of bitcoins under discussion is a zero-sum game. Ie, i give a bitcoin away means I just lost one, there's no creating bitcoins after the21millionth one is mined.  However, the value of a bitcoin isn't directly tied to it's unit.  The value is set by whatever someone is willing to trade for it.  That seems to me to be the opposite of a zero sum game.   Example:

1) I have 0btc, you have 1btc.  for illustration, assume you can buy a pizza at our favorite pizzaria for 1btc
2) You send me 0.5btc.
3) I have 0.5btc, you have 0.5btc   (ok, zero-sum with respect to the number of bitcoins, neither of us can afford 1 pizza)

I still don't understand how that dude spent BTC10,000 for a pizza.  It was probably the extra cheese or something.
chessnut (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 12:38:04 AM

I understand, the amount of bitcoins under discussion is a zero-sum game. Ie, i give a bitcoin away means I just lost one, there's no creating bitcoins after the21millionth one is mined.  However, the value of a bitcoin isn't directly tied to it's unit.  The value is set by whatever someone is willing to trade for it.  That seems to me to be the opposite of a zero sum game.   Example:

1) I have 0btc, you have 1btc.  for illustration, assume you can buy a pizza at our favorite pizzaria for 1btc
2) You send me 0.5btc.
3) I have 0.5btc, you have 0.5btc   (ok, zero-sum with respect to the number of bitcoins, neither of us can afford 1 pizza)

no wealth is created by bitcoins rising in value. the appreciation of bitcoin would equally depreciate the value of USD. now a pizza would cost $10 + 0.001c in USD. the general poplulation of America would be paying for your pizza, although you would not notice the effect of 10bln dollars less to the economy.

tspacepilot
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 03:18:57 AM

2) You send me 0.5btc.

no wealth is created by bitcoins rising in value. the appreciation of bitcoin would equally depreciate the value of USD. now a pizza would cost $10 + 0.001c in USD. the general poplulation of America would be paying for your pizza, although you would not notice the effect of 10bln dollars less to the economy.

Your reply is timely but not very explanatory.  Can you elaborate?  Your reply is more like an assertion than an explanation.
chessnut (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 04:18:38 AM

2) You send me 0.5btc.

Your reply is timely but not very explanatory.  Can you elaborate?  Your reply is more like an assertion than an explanation.

sorry, ill try harder.
if the value of bitcoins rise all the bitcoiners will win. but because no wealth is created at any stage in the process, that means that the USD loses an equal amount of value as bitcoin has gained. however because the market cap of bitcoin is so small and the market cap of the USD is so big, it's like pissing in the ocean. there will be no effective devaluation in the USD until bicoin reaches a significant value.

do you undersand that by paying for something with USD that I have saved, I am indecting USD into the economy that was not apparently there before. this is creating a surplus. when I offer labour for USD I am creating a shortage of USD. when I buy a BTC with USD I am creating a permanent surplus (as long as I do not sell it again). the more USD in circulation, the less the value of each USD.

every time the bitcoiners win (bitcoin is in shortage, USD in surplus), the americans holding USD lose an equal amount of value. understand? zero sum.

tspacepilot
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 03:29:17 AM

sorry, ill try harder.
if the value of bitcoins rise all the bitcoiners will win. but because no wealth is created at any stage in the process, that means that the USD loses an equal amount of value as bitcoin has gained. however because the market cap of bitcoin is so small and the market cap of the USD is so big, it's like pissing in the ocean. there will be no effective devaluation in the USD until bicoin reaches a significant value.

do you undersand that by paying for something with USD that I have saved, I am indecting USD into the economy that was not apparently there before. this is creating a surplus. when I offer labour for USD I am creating a shortage of USD. when I buy a BTC with USD I am creating a permanent surplus (as long as I do not sell it again). the more USD in circulation, the less the value of each USD.

every time the bitcoiners win (bitcoin is in shortage, USD in surplus), the americans holding USD lose an equal amount of value. understand? zero sum.

If I understand your argument correctly, a crucial point is that for every btc someone holds, they released usd in order to get it (putting usd into surplus for a relative amount of btc shortage).  Is that correct?

If so, I think there's a flaw in the argument which is that not all bitcoins held were obtained by the release of usd.  Miners mine, someone purchases btc for euros (not usd), someone trades labor (puts labor into surplus, not usd).

Again, am I missing something?  Thank you for the discussion.
rogerwilco

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 04:14:09 AM

sorry, ill try harder.

If I understand your argument correctly, a crucial point is that for every btc someone holds, they released usd in order to get it (putting usd into surplus for a relative amount of btc shortage).  Is that correct?

If so, I think there's a flaw in the argument which is that not all bitcoins held were obtained by the release of usd.  Miners mine, someone purchases btc for euros (not usd), someone trades labor (puts labor into surplus, not usd).

I'm going to chime in on this, if I may.

Ultimately, I agree with chessnut. Currency wars are a zero-sum game, as wealth is created through production, not currency creation. But I think to understand this, it's important to view the broad picture of supply and demand for all forms of currency put together. The whole point of currency is to facilitate trade, not create wealth. Within this pool of various currencies, each one has its own levels of both supply and demand. The value of each is then determined from these levels.

For simplicity, suppose BTC and USD were the only currencies in existence, and 99% of the world economy currently used USD for trade. This percentage reflects the demand of each currency, and the supply only affects the value of each unit within that percentage. So the overall supply of bitcoins, say 12 million in total, would divide over the 1% used in its part of the economy to determine the value for each coin. If the supply increases due to mining, or decreases due to hoarding, the price would adjust accordingly while staying in that 1%.

But if there is a sudden spike in the demand for BTC, say 2% of the world economy, then each coin would double in value. Of course, if more are mined or sold or whatever at the same time, the price may still rise but not as much, as it would reflect the net effect of said changes in supply and demand.

So in terms of these aforementioned direct exchanges between USD and BTC, the supply would be affected by how each user would spend or save each currency afterward. But someone who permanently dumps USD in favor of BTC has affected the demand side as well.

But regardless of how well BTC does, it can only siphon away percentage points from the overall demand for currency, which will remain relatively constant. The reason many of us here find it superior to USD though is that no one can cheat the system and print their own BTC like they can USD. In other words, BTC is superior not because it creates prosperity, but because it prevents prosperity from being systematically stolen.
bitleif

Activity: 351

I'm always grumpy in the morning.

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 07:17:53 AM

I understand, the amount of bitcoins under discussion is a zero-sum game. Ie, i give a bitcoin away means I just lost one, there's no creating bitcoins after the21millionth one is mined.  However, the value of a bitcoin isn't directly tied to it's unit.  The value is set by whatever someone is willing to trade for it.  That seems to me to be the opposite of a zero sum game.   Example:

1) I have 0btc, you have 1btc.  for illustration, assume you can buy a pizza at our favorite pizzaria for 1btc
2) You send me 0.5btc.
3) I have 0.5btc, you have 0.5btc   (ok, zero-sum with respect to the number of bitcoins, neither of us can afford 1 pizza)

It's no longer a closed system because you've included other people in it (the people who are willing to pay for your btc.) It's only zero sum if you include every person involved from the start. If you add more money into the system along the way (such as new buyers) then of course its not a zero sum game.

YOU haven't gained anything by the price doubling, until you spend it. If you just sit on it, that's called paper profits. If you DO spend it, that's the same as selling it to someone else, and then someone ELSE takes the loss to counter your gain. They lost money by buying that bitcoin from you at the current price, instead of buying earlier at half price.
tspacepilot
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 11:33:35 PM

sorry, ill try harder.

I'm going to chime in on this, if I may.

Ultimately, I agree with chessnut. Currency wars are a zero-sum game, as wealth is created through production, not currency creation. But I think to understand this, it's important to view the broad picture of supply and demand for all forms of currency put together. The whole point of currency is to facilitate trade, not create wealth. Within this pool of various currencies, each one has its own levels of both supply and demand. The value of each is then determined from these levels.

For simplicity, suppose BTC and USD were the only currencies in existence, and 99% of the world economy currently used USD for trade. This percentage reflects the demand of each currency, and the supply only affects the value of each unit within that percentage. So the overall supply of bitcoins, say 12 million in total, would divide over the 1% used in its part of the economy to determine the value for each coin. If the supply increases due to mining, or decreases due to hoarding, the price would adjust accordingly while staying in that 1%.

But if there is a sudden spike in the demand for BTC, say 2% of the world economy, then each coin would double in value. Of course, if more are mined or sold or whatever at the same time, the price may still rise but not as much, as it would reflect the net effect of said changes in supply and demand.

So in terms of these aforementioned direct exchanges between USD and BTC, the supply would be affected by how each user would spend or save each currency afterward. But someone who permanently dumps USD in favor of BTC has affected the demand side as well.

But regardless of how well BTC does, it can only siphon away percentage points from the overall demand for currency, which will remain relatively constant. The reason many of us here find it superior to USD though is that no one can cheat the system and print their own BTC like they can USD. In other words, BTC is superior not because it creates prosperity, but because it prevents prosperity from being systematically stolen.

Thank you for this reply, I think understand more deeply now.

You guys are arguing that because bitcoin is a currency, the value of a bitcoin is zero-sum with respect to demand for currencies.  Is that right?

I think I understand well the point that if demand for bitcoin goes up and we assume that the demand for currencies overall hasn't changed, then the rise in value of a bitcoin is countered by an equivalent loss in value for the collective rest-of-the-currencies.

Doesn't this reasoning assume that the demand for currencies (which are created to facilitate trade) is constant over time?  Is such an assumption tenable given a changing world population and many other dynamic factors?

That is, the more I think about you guys' argument, the more it seems to me that the creation of a more useful currency *can* create wealth, insofar as it does its job (fair faciliation of trade) better than older currencies.  I'm probably wrong though.
chessnut (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 01:02:49 AM

That is, the more I think about you guys' argument, the more it seems to me that the creation of a more useful currency *can* create wealth, insofar as it does its job (fair faciliation of trade) better than older currencies.  I'm probably wrong though.

No, you are right. this I totally agree with, but for the moment Bitcoin is still a speculative tool and so far not very helpful to the greater economy.

ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 01:08:01 AM

Can you please clarify what fractals are? Like repeating events or something?

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
chessnut (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 01:15:40 AM

Best to read about it here  http://fractalfoundation.org/resources/what-are-fractals/

Fractals are shapes that reoccur within a self similar or identical shape many times on all scales of space. Fractals often make up the overall design of a living thing in nature.

ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 01:18:02 AM

Best to read about it here  http://fractalfoundation.org/resources/what-are-fractals/

Fractals are shapes that reoccur within a self similar or identical shape many times on all scales of space. Fractals often make up the overall design of a living thing in nature.

Thanks! So the theory is that this shape (in this case with prices going up and down) may keep repeating itself. My issue with this is that there are just too many variables. I've always felt that the shifts (on the chart) are random and that people find ways to match them up together to make them something they aren't.

Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
chessnut (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 01:36:31 AM

Thanks! So the theory is that this shape (in this case with prices going up and down) may keep repeating itself. My issue with this is that there are just too many variables. I've always felt that the shifts (on the chart) are random and that people find ways to match them up together to make them something they aren't.

well as you can see, the chart has left some accuracy to be desired... although I do believe the market is expressed in fractals, self similar fractals. they are easy to see after they happen, but like I say, usually they are not predictive enough to use. The idea is that the chart reflects the fundamentals (often not predicable), and that unexpected net forces on the market tend to unfold in similar ways every time. just like a story, the event will have a beginning, middle and end. With fractals and fundamentals we can often pin point the top or bottom of a move that has been clearly caused by something that we know about.

RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 02:39:40 AM

They aren't random, though! When I buy/sell, I've made a choice. I choose to make the candle move. This choice is made a thousand times a day by traders. The waves are made by the weight of whoever is trading. Some people have more weight behind them, so it moves in bigger ranges. But it's still not random.

ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 04:17:38 AM

They aren't random, though! When I buy/sell, I've made a choice. I choose to make the candle move. This choice is made a thousand times a day by traders. The waves are made by the weight of whoever is trading. Some people have more weight behind them, so it moves in bigger ranges. But it's still not random.

Does this mean, then, that theoretically one can ride these up and down in set patterns? I mean the market itself is what is random (unless people are working to manipulate it).

well as you can see, the chart has left some accuracy to be desired... although I do believe the market is expressed in fractals, self similar fractals. they are easy to see after they happen, but like I say, usually they are not predictive enough to use. The idea is that the chart reflects the fundamentals (often not predicable), and that unexpected net forces on the market tend to unfold in similar ways every time. just like a story, the event will have a beginning, middle and end. With fractals and fundamentals we can often pin point the top or bottom of a move that has been clearly caused by something that we know about.

Okay, so more or less what you're saying is that you can't use the patterns to determine what is happening or about to happen, but instead use it to help write the story of the past?

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: