Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 07:28:04 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Holy crap I found a block!  (Read 7848 times)
Pony789

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 06:13:54 PM

Grats! I'm starting to think people with low hashrates should just solo mine. Either you get nothing or you get 25 BTC! 
Better than making pennies in a pool.

True. Especially when you need to mine for months to reach the min payout of your pool. Smiley

ttyson (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 01:14:54 AM

Yeah,

A couple more difficulty hikes and the rounding error will make this unit only good for solo mining or a doorstop.  Fortunately, I pay a flat rate for utilities from my landlord so I'll just let it run solo.

Happy mining!

Tony
serje
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 03:03:21 AM

Grats! I'm starting to think people with low hashrates should just solo mine. Either you get nothing or you get 25 BTC! 
The problem with solo mining is that you never feel completely sure that everything is configured properly. There's always this uncomfortable nagging feeling that you might be running your miner all day with zero chance of ever finding a block.
this is exactly how i feel when i solo mine....the What if scenario.  what if i screwed up and i find a block and because the config isn't right you lose the 25 BTC. Ughh that would suck.

I use Bitsolo.net but the question always comes up will they pay if i find a block?
hmmm I might start mining there ... with my 5Mh I will surley die before I find a block Smiley

Space for rent if its still trending
Pony789

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 04:57:50 AM

The problem with solo mining is that you never feel completely sure that everything is configured properly. There's always this uncomfortable nagging feeling that you might be running your miner all day with zero chance of ever finding a block.
this is exactly how i feel when i solo mine....the What if scenario.  what if i screwed up and i find a block and because the config isn't right you lose the 25 BTC. Ughh that would suck.

I use Bitsolo.net but the question always comes up will they pay if i find a block?
hmmm I might start mining there ... with my 5Mh I will surley die before I find a block Smiley

5MH/s? You are using CPU to mine bitcoin? Shocked

Hunterbunter

Activity: 994

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 03:35:43 AM

Dear fellow miners,

That in and of itself is not a big deal.  What is rather cool however, is that I'm mining with a single Block Erupter that I bought on eBay for $300.  My hash rate hovers around 38 Gh/s.  That means of the current Total Hash Rate of 55,000 TH/s or so, I represent a scant 0.069091%.  

What makes it even more awesome is that you actually represent 0.000069091% of the network. The current hash rate is in TH/s, and you're in GH/s.
erono

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 04:14:18 AM

Technically speaking, you can just get lucky and solve for a hash in your first try. It's very unlikely, but it is possible to myunderstanding.

Coef

Exhausted

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 04:15:52 AM

Technically speaking, you can just get lucky and solve for a hash in your first try. It's very unlikely, but it is possible to myunderstanding.

Yes, statistically speaking it is possible, but the possibility is so low that no one has imagined it.

vipgelsi
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 04:19:00 AM

Dear fellow miners,

That in and of itself is not a big deal.  What is rather cool however, is that I'm mining with a single Block Erupter that I bought on eBay for $300.  My hash rate hovers around 38 Gh/s.  That means of the current Total Hash Rate of 55,000 TH/s or so, I represent a scant 0.069091%.  I didn't just find a block, I crushed it with a share value of 15.6G.  Was I solo mining?  Hell no.  I'm contributing a minuscule amount of work to the Eligius pool.  Nevertheless, there is my block.  Height 298,562. See? Lightning can and does strike.  If any of you feel bad about the fact that earned +0.00016263 BTC instead of 25 BTC for my efforts, my address is 19cK8nHieqXxZbWoYFSdSgm2Q3Cb5CEPN6  Donations welcome!!

Happy Mining!,
Tony  

AMazing and way better then playing the lotto.
Haskel85

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 08, 2014, 10:15:21 AM

congratulations

micky123
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 08, 2014, 04:55:01 PM

I was inspired by the OP and setup solo mining on my graphics card. The software i am using is cuda miner. It now says "stratum detected new block", does this mean that i have found a block? If yes, should i focus more mining power to the miner so it mines the block?

jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2014, 05:02:13 PM

I was inspired by the OP and setup solo mining on my graphics card. The software i am using is cuda miner. It now says "stratum detected new block", does this mean that i have found a block? If yes, should i focus more mining power to the miner so it mines the block?

No, you haven't found a block.  It means that your mining software has been informed there's a new block on which it needs to work.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
ILikeMagicBeans

Activity: 119
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2014, 07:30:57 PM

Agreed, its a bit like playing the lottery Smiley

PublicP2poolNode

Activity: 347
Merit: 252

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 04:34:03 AM

I have two bfl units, one is a 30 gh that I have been trying to find a block solo mining since December 2013 and 523 million is the highest it has found, my other 230 gh unit I mine on p2pool with.

Couldn't stomach solo mining with both of them as I'd rather have a little of something than a lot of nothing.

Thanks for sharing, gives me renewed hope that it still is possible!

WINGS Beta is live - List your ICO for only 5000 WINGS at https://wings.ai Over $650 Million raised by ICOs with WINGS since June 2017
BSIG

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

Vintage4X4

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2014, 06:41:41 AM

Good there is hope for people wanting a payout.

Vintage4X4
micky123
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 02:42:17 PM

No, you haven't found a block.  It means that your mining software has been informed there's a new block on which it needs to work.
Lol! I guess i am not as lucky as i thought i was. Well, keep the faith i suppose!? Smiley

jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2014, 02:56:50 PM

Lol! I guess i am not as lucky as i thought i was. Well, keep the faith i suppose!? Smiley

Absolutely!  It's why I solo mine.  Chances are I'll never find that block, but why not try?  It costs virtually nothing to do so (5 Antminer U2s driven by an rPi).

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
left-ca

Activity: 184
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 09:14:47 PM

did you get a block finding bonus?
miffman
Legendary

Activity: 1904

PGP ID: 78B7B84D

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 06:40:58 PM

It's interesting how mining can be very profitable for some and just a complete let down for others  Grin Congrats on being part of the lucky ones. I would invest in mining just to know that I mined a block  Grin

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender 

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
DotSauce

Activity: 60

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2014, 06:43:52 PM

Better odds than the lottery, eh? Cheesy Maybe this will become a popular thing as diff increases. I'd like to here a story of someone solo mining a block.
JamesSchofield

Activity: 21

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 11:58:32 PM

Yeah so technically you havent found a block. The pool has and you would of likely not found the same block solo.
It was a team effort I'm afraid.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: