Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:28:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [RFC] When wallets conflict with the block chain  (Read 6195 times)
Pieter Wuille (OP)
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1072
Merit: 1170

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2011, 10:13:05 AM
Last edit: July 05, 2011, 07:27:03 PM by Pieter Wuille

Edit: see pull request described here: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=7330.0

It is a situation that is currently hard to reach, but nonetheless possible when moving wallet.dat files around, and can potentially leave you with a permanently corrupted wallet.

Consider this scenario:
  • Alice receives a 50BTC coin
  • Alice creates backup of her wallet
  • Alice goes offline
  • Bob imports A's wallet
  • Bob sends 20BTC to Carol (sending 30BTC change to a reserve key)
  • Alice comes online before Bob's transaction ends up in a block, or somehow does not receive the block it is in yet
  • Alice sends 10BTC to Ted, using the 50BTC coin as input

The network already knows about Bob's spending of the 50BTC coin, so it will not accept Alice's transaction anymore. Alice should be using the 30BTC change coin, but does not know about this yet. The result is that Alice has a transaction in her wallet which will never be accepted by the network, but Alice still assumes it is valid. Even worse, Alice will try to use the 40BTC change of that transaction in further transactions as well, and those transactions (and everything resulting from its change) won't be accepted by the network either.

You may argue that copying wallet.dat files around is always a dangerous business, but I don't like the idea that being unaware of a transaction happening using one of your own keys can potentially break things.

I'm working on a patch to detect cases where the blockchain conflicts with a wallet, but the question is: what to do when it happens?

Some possibilities:
  • Edge case, don't bother
  • Silently drop the offending transaction from the wallet (very easy)
  • At least give a warning message in the GUI (easy, but what to do in bitcoind?)
  • Mark the transaction somehow as inactive, and show this in the GUI and RPC calls (needs some changes, including update to wallet.dat format if you want keep these permanently)
  • Try to recreate the transaction, using inputs that do exist (after user confirmation in GUI, or using special RPC call)
  • Automatically try to recreate the transactions (probably too dangerous)

I do Bitcoin stuff.
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Matt Corallo
expert

Activity: 755
Merit: 515

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 11:00:31 AM

Bitcoin definitely needs to be as bulletproof as possible when it comes to UI (1st rule: assume users are trying to break your program).  I don't think bitcoin should try to recreate the transactions or resend now that the balance has changed.  I'd say GUI should notify the user and bitcoind just silently drops the TX (or maybe marks it as rejected in place of unconfirmed?)

Bitcoin Core, rust-lightning, http://bitcoinfibre.org etc.
PGP ID: 07DF 3E57 A548 CCFB 7530  7091 89BB B866 3E2E65CE
Mike Hearn
Legendary
expert

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1128

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 11:26:22 AM

This is a specific case of a more general problem, which is it's impossible to know if your tx was accepted by the network at all. Nodes just silently drop transactions they don't accept.

A much bigger instance of this problem is setting fees. Imagine if the minimum tx fee is lowered from Ⓑ0.01 to Ⓑ0.001. Rollouts of new software versions are not synchronized. You upgrade your software and send a transaction with the new rules, but by chance you connected only to nodes that had not upgraded yet. Your tx is rejected through no fault of your own and now your wallet is useless. Useless or corrupted wallets are probably the worst failure mode BitCoin has.

The "fix" for this so far has been to try and synchronize changes to the rulesets by using block chain indexes, and hoping everyone has upgraded by the flag day. But it'd be better if a new message was added to the protocol. If you send a tx message and the receiving node doesn't accept it, it could send back a txfail message with an error code and/or English explanation of why it was deemed unacceptable. If all connected nodes replied with a txfail message, the transaction would not be committed to the wallet and show as failed in the UI.
Matt Corallo
expert

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 12:08:19 PM

The "fix" for this so far has been to try and synchronize changes to the rulesets by using block chain indexes, and hoping everyone has upgraded by the flag day. But it'd be better if a new message was added to the protocol. If you send a tx message and the receiving node doesn't accept it, it could send back a txfail message with an error code and/or English explanation of why it was deemed unacceptable. If all connected nodes replied with a txfail message, the transaction would not be committed to the wallet and show as failed in the UI.
I disagree that that is necessary.  IMHO, people should be aware that any tx which has 0 confirmations is perfectly capable of failing.  It is much easier to notify a user that their tx did not make it into the blockchain for whatever reason.

To your specific example of TX fee changes, eventually the tx would go through as the tx is rebroadcasted and eventually it would be sent to a new node which makes its way to a miner.  In any case, the tx fee issue is slightly different than simply not being accepted due to conflicts.  IMHO, the ideas that have been floating around for tx fee increase when a tx fails after x period of time should be considered as it would fix your specific problem and it in combination with simple fails after conficts could fix the rejected tx issue without needing to modify the protocol.

Mike Hearn
Legendary
expert

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 04:15:31 PM

The problem is not that people think 0/unconfirmed txns can be spent. The client makes that clear. The problem is if you spend half your wallet and it never confirms for some reason, you can't unspend them and try again. There's no such thing as "failure", just permanent limbo. Losing coins is very bad for both the owner and BitCoin globally.

It's not just fees and wallet movements that can cause this, but unusual scripts etc.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5152
Merit: 12580

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 05:59:47 PM

I don't think a new message is necessary. Bitcoin should allow you to unspend 0-confirmation transactions, sending a conflicting transaction back to itself. Maybe it can do this automatically after 2 weeks (or whatever), or immediately as soon as a double-spending transaction is confirmed in the block chain.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 06:04:04 PM

I don't think a new message is necessary. Bitcoin should allow you to unspend 0-confirmation transactions, sending a conflicting transaction back to itself. Maybe it can do this automatically after 2 weeks (or whatever), or immediately as soon as a double-spending transaction is confirmed in the block chain.

Two hours is more what I'd like to see.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 06:06:11 PM

Two hours is more what I'd like to see.

It's not safe to assume a transaction has been completely rejected after just 2 hours. Maybe it was just lost. You should wait at least a day or two.

Matt Corallo
expert

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 08:15:01 PM

The problem is not that people think 0/unconfirmed txns can be spent. The client makes that clear. The problem is if you spend half your wallet and it never confirms for some reason, you can't unspend them and try again. There's no such thing as "failure", just permanent limbo. Losing coins is very bad for both the owner and BitCoin globally.

It's not just fees and wallet movements that can cause this, but unusual scripts etc.
Yes its not technically "failure", but for the purpose of the user its very similar.  As theymos said, bitcoin could "unspend" a tx by creating a conflicting one  then mark a tx as rejected.  Also, for the purpose of the user, you can call coins in permanent limbo a failed tx. 

Pieter Wuille (OP)
Legendary
qt

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2011, 12:35:26 AM

Why another (intentionally) conflicting transaction? Just mark the unconfirmed transaction inactive...

I do Bitcoin stuff.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
April 17, 2011, 01:24:03 AM

Why another (intentionally) conflicting transaction? Just mark the unconfirmed transaction inactive...

It could end up going through, which might cause you to pay twice.

Mike Hearn
Legendary
expert

View Profile
April 17, 2011, 07:58:46 AM

I don't see the problem with adding a new message. Old clients will ignore it and act exactly as they do today. Newer clients can understand that if all nodes replied with txfail, there is no need to wait two weeks. The transaction can be unspent immediately and the user informed that they need to take action.
Matt Corallo
expert

View Profile
April 17, 2011, 09:22:02 AM

I don't see the problem with adding a new message. Old clients will ignore it and act exactly as they do today. Newer clients can understand that if all nodes replied with txfail, there is no need to wait two weeks. The transaction can be unspent immediately and the user informed that they need to take action.
I just don't see a clear need for it and I don't see why we should add a message if there is no need for it.  Also, in some cases (such as the connected to out-of-date client who is rejecting txes based on old rules situation) rejecting a tx right away might not be the best way to do things.  It might be better to wait around a couple hours and hope you get connected to an updated client and resubmit the tx.

Pieter Wuille (OP)
Legendary
qt

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2011, 07:14:17 PM

It could end up going through, which might cause you to pay twice.

Maybe, but you'll need to be careful.
  • If there was a problem with the inputs (already spent eg.), the correction tx won't be accepted either (and you definitely don't want a correction tx for a correction tx).
  • If the problem was with the output (eg. non-standard script), a correction tx that does a simple spend-to-self may get you certainty, by seeing the correction tx end up in a block sooner than the original
  • If the original tx never reached the network, a retransmit is the best thing to do, but a correction tx won't harm

So, implementation-wise, i suppose it should be a kind of spend-to-self tx, which is by default not assumed to be active, until it is seen in a block.

I do Bitcoin stuff.
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 17, 2011, 07:27:29 PM

A much bigger instance of this problem is setting fees. Imagine if the minimum tx fee is lowered from Ⓑ0.01 to Ⓑ0.001. Rollouts of new software versions are not synchronized. You upgrade your software and send a transaction with the new rules, but by chance you connected only to nodes that had not upgraded yet. Your tx is rejected through no fault of your own and now your wallet is useless.

You mean nodes won't forward a transaction that doesn't suit their own fee policies? This is bad if it's the case... transactions should at least be forwarded, in spite of fees.
Matt Corallo
expert

View Profile
April 17, 2011, 07:31:15 PM

A much bigger instance of this problem is setting fees. Imagine if the minimum tx fee is lowered from Ⓑ0.01 to Ⓑ0.001. Rollouts of new software versions are not synchronized. You upgrade your software and send a transaction with the new rules, but by chance you connected only to nodes that had not upgraded yet. Your tx is rejected through no fault of your own and now your wallet is useless.

You mean nodes won't forward a transaction that doesn't suit their own fee policies? This is bad if it's the case... transactions should at least be forwarded, in spite of fees.
That is the current implementation.  It was done to prevent DDoS attacks.  If I can go sending 10000 txes/sec to nodes and they have to forward all of them. Anyone can easily DDoS the network very quickly.

caveden
Legendary

View Profile
April 17, 2011, 07:34:34 PM

Bitcoin should allow you to unspend 0-confirmation transactions, sending a conflicting transaction back to itself. Maybe it can do this automatically after 2 weeks (or whatever), or immediately as soon as a double-spending transaction is confirmed in the block chain.

I agree with that (although I also agree with [mike] that a failure message wouldn't harm either).
I just don't think there should be anything automatic... reclaiming should be always manual.
caveden
Legendary

View Profile
April 17, 2011, 07:43:37 PM

That is the current implementation.  It was done to prevent DDoS attacks.  If I can go sending 10000 txes/sec to nodes and they have to forward all of them. Anyone can easily DDoS the network very quickly.

You mean valid transactions? I agree invalid transactions don't need to be forwarded, I just don't like this mandatory fee policy.

But I see the point... somebody could send millions of 0,01μBTC with no fees, flooding the network....

Eventually something better than a mandatory fee policy could be implemented, don't you think? Like rejecting "too fast" transaction series, for example... [mike] suggestion comes handy there. A node that "suspects" one of its peers is flooding the network could just send him an error message with a proper code or text indicating something like "I think you're a spammer, won't accept more than one transaction of yours per second".
randomguy7

Activity: 527
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 17, 2011, 07:49:45 PM

We could enforce some proof-of-work to be made before txs are processed by the nodes (kinda like hashmail or whatever its name was).
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
April 17, 2011, 09:31:13 PM

If there was a problem with the inputs (already spent eg.), the correction tx won't be accepted either (and you definitely don't want a correction tx for a correction tx).

Bitcoin can cancel one input per day until one of the cancellations goes through.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: